Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,275
Monadnock to Mt. Washington, NH

Hi there,

a new member here (and a first post, too).

This past Saturday I went for a sweet day solo ride. Left the Monadnock region early in the morning (around 7am), and headed on Rte 9 West to Concord. This by itself is a nice ride. In Concord, I took 93 North, planning to go to 112 and cross the White Mountains, luck, however, was not on my side. Near Canterburry, I noticed some wobble comming from my front, so I pulled over at the next rest area and inspected my front tire. The Anakee (with 3400 iles on it) developed some worrisome cracks in the sidewall and between threads. Off the highway it was, as I no longer wished to push my luck at 80mph :). I took off towards Meredith hoping to find a friendly dealer with a suitable front tire in stock. It wasn't until I reach Conway that I found one (all the others were mostly Harley dealers and shun me away). The only tire available was a Pirelli Scorpion and an hour later (and $170 lighter) I was on my way again. After a much needed stop at the North Conway outlets (to bring something back home for my better half) I continued towards Mt. Washington.
The weather was just about great, at around 70F with clear skies (when I left it was just abut 40F) and i hit the Mt Washington Auto Road. By the time I made it to the top, the clouds started taking over and visibility was less than desirable, still, it was an awesome ride. Down Mt Washington, I turned to Gorham, had lunch, and continued to Twin Mountain to get on 93 South. I made it back home just in time for dinner.

Things learned:
1)Don't trust a front tire, even if it was okay just before I left. I did not hit any potholes or anything, so the cracks are a mystery.
2) White Mountains are beautiful and I'm lucky enough to live in NH
3) Good clothes make all the difference. I recently bought a set of Tourmaster pants, jacket, and boots. Kept me warm at 40F and cool at 70F.
4) I love riding! (Just got a bike again after a few months' hiatus)
5) G650GS is okay until about 75mph. (much different from my old Bandit 1200)
6) I need a better windshield as the stock send the wind right to the bottom of my helmet and my head was being slapped around at highway speeds. (Just ordered the medium Ztechnik so I'll try that once it comes, crossing my fingers for a much needed improvement)

View Larger Map

henrymartin screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 08:21 PM Reason: route map
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
fordhotline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have taken this trip without the tire malfuction of course last year. And it was a blast. Looking forward to doing it this fall!!
fordhotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
mdntridr
n00b

Oddometer: 8
HM, welcome from another FNG. You will need to use some hosting solution, seems lots of folks here use smugmug, others use photobucket...there are plenty of options only a Google away.

It certainly sounds like a great ride, look forward to seeing pics.
mdntridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,275
Thanks. Yes, it was a cool ride. BTW, I'm doing a new one this Saturday. Either heading West (Albany, up to Rutland, VT, then across to Claremont, NH, and down on 10 or 123 towards Monadnock) or heading East (101 to Seacost, and then coastal route to Kennebunkport, ME, across to Rochester NH or therabouts, then west to Claremont, NH and down to Monadnock).

I'm a memner on another forum that allows me to attach pics in Jpg format. I tried the same here but all my files fail to uplaod, even though I'm within specs (format, size)Well, anyways, there are only a couple of pics from this one since the clouds moved in fast. I'll take some pics this weekend. Anyone up for either of those rides?

Something like this one:
View Larger Map

henrymartin screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 08:14 PM Reason: added a map
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote