ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #16
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,235
How about a little reality check! VDOT posts speed limits based on several factors, the primary one being a little device with a swinging pendulum that's attached to the dashboard of one of their typical GMC Diesel 8' bed pickups. It has a little graph on it, when the pendulum swings over so far it tells them what to set the speed to. Maybe they have upgraded in the last few years but they had those and they were already paid for, so I doubt it. My wife had one of those trucks when she worked for VDOT, I wasn't allowed to ride in the truck and check it out but that's how she explained it to me. Probably when the truck heels over and the tires start squeeling it reads out "I'm skeered" and they back the limit down 25 mph. There is your "modern handling and braking system".
Squiggy is right, Virginia will screw you for 20 over/double yellow. Skyline Drive is often heavily patrolled, 211 is very heavily patrolled and has a big squid population.
That brings me to squids. Several years ago I had a 21 y/o kid do a 100+mph highside off his GXSR in the curve in front of my house, buried his bike into my front yard, rolled what was left of him around the corner and into the ditch. I heard him go down, ran out to render aid (I'm an ex-EMT), sent his 2 riding buddies to get my first aid gear and to the fire house close by. It was a very long time for me by myself rolling this kid over to get the blood and lung parts out of his helmet so he could get an airway (remember:ABC's - airways, breathing, circulation take precedence over taking a chance on other injuries). I had never really thought about the term "squid" much until I had to deal with the nearly dead bag of bones. In short, he bled all over me (I was in shorts and barefoot) and died in the helicopter on the way to U.Va. Think it was easy for me to get back on a bike?
In honesty, I've already ridden too fast this year just like every one of you. Something about spring I guess. Be careful out there - the guy that has to scrape you up may be a fellow rider.
Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #17
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
I think so. I rode solo Sat and Sun. Just cruising around the VA foothills. On Sunday, I reverted back to my sportbike days, and hunted down squids at Thornton Gap. On my V-Strom. The trees are flowering with with a renewed life cycle, and in a sense, we all are. Enjoy the year people. Ride safe. Don't be a statistic this year. Cheers. Dave
It sure is good to be alive and even better to have a bike that is running. I have had a bit of bad luck with the GS recently. Lost the back bearing on the right side piston so I dropped in a "new" engine from an R1100RT (with Anton Largadier's help), then cut a tire sufficiently to require two of the sticky rope plugs to get it to sort of hold air long enough to get home, then had what appeared to be a clogged fuel filter but turned out to be an unconnected altenator from our engine swap out. All told I have been left on the side of the road 4 times in the past 4 weeks (3 of those times were in 3 days).

So when I got everything sort out for good on Saturday night, then rode a good part of the day Sunday with no problems... I was one happy MF'er.

Monday morning I had the permagrin. Come to think of it I STILL have the permagrin.

Here are some picks of the badness:
Bearing... Yep that is both sides overlapping and extruded.

Chipped Cam:

GS Carcass sans engine:

Definitely happy to have it running again.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #18
John 10:10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Springtime...

When you are riding through those gorgeous Virginia mountains, remember the Creator that gave it to you, His grace and mercies are new every day. Imagine what His heaven is like....

Also, Thank Him for giving us the unquenchable desire to be on two wheels instead of four...
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommer
Which brings me to another question for anyone with some experience; I have moved to this region not too long ago and am not sure as to what LEOs allow (meaning what they don’t ticket) on Skyline.
They're not very forgiving or understanding on Skyline. I was up there recently with a buddy, and we zipped past a rest area. One of the cops (Park Police?) roared out of the rest area, sat about a car length off my ass for five miles, and then hit his lights and roared past me. About ten miles later was 211 and as we came around the last turn we were already slowing down to get off at 211. Right on the other side of 211 was the cop, already out of his vehicle and ready to flag us down. We waved as we got off at 211.

There are much better roads on which to exceed the speed limit.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #20
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEnloe
I have had a bit of bad luck with the GS recently. Lost the back bearing on the right side piston so I dropped in a "new" engine from an R1100RT (with Anton Largadier's help)
What happened? Oil starvation?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #21
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
What happened? Oil starvation?

Most likely, although the oil pressure light never came on. The sight glass had a nice thick layer of oily residue on it which upon my very casual inspection resulted in me making the incorrect assessment that I had oil showing. I simply didn't look closely enough. Usually had my helmet and sunglasses on when I got to the bike, glance down, saw black, good enough, ride off.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #22
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommer
Yep, that was me, talking to my R1150R riding buddy who actually skipped riding in that weather to go have brunch with a girl he just met, can you believe it ?

I was calling him to tell him where I was and how the riding was and in response I listened to the silence of a deeply depressed man on the other end. First thing this morning he comes in the office and asks me how the rest of the riding went and wants to hear more. I just grinned.

Which brings me to another question for anyone with some experience; I have moved to this region not too long ago and am not sure as to what LEOs allow (meaning what they don’t ticket) on Skyline. That is a nice road but I feel it requires speeds well above the posted limit and the occasional passing on double yellow if you don’t want to fall asleep. Will they tolerate 60 mph for example? I understand the double yellow will not be forgiven.

Any advice or experience ?
I got popped on Skyline doing 100mph. The cop gave me a $100 ticket w no points. He said that he is a federal officer so it is diffrent than a traffic ticket. Does anyone know anything about this? BTW he was the coolest officer I have ever been pulled over by.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #23
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
BTW he was the coolest officer I have ever been pulled over by.
Did you give him the "Omar"?

BTW, I had a cop put a dent (with his fist) in the roof of my '81 Buick Regal once, he was so steamed. Not cool. Another searched my car for drugs after pulling me over for speeding (hey, I was 19 and had long hair). Not cool. The only cool cop I've ever gotten pulled over by was ... up on Skyline Drive. Hmm ...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 AM   #24
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I got popped on Skyline doing 100mph. The cop gave me a $100 ticket w no points. He said that he is a federal officer so it is diffrent than a traffic ticket. Does anyone know anything about this? BTW he was the coolest officer I have ever been pulled over by.
I got that story for doing 77 in a 45 on the BRP from the Officer. When I went to pay the fine via phone, the person taking my money almost laughed. I went to court after that so that I could face the officer and the judge and ask the officer straight up in front of the judge. She said she had made a mistake and that it was that way in Colorado where she had come from. The judge is the only one that can not give you the points.

BTW, I got the points and a $121 speeding ticket conviction.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote