User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #3496
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,520
As we got closer

to engineer creek campground, the road surface changed from the light tan packed gravel, to a looser and darker flavor,

(sorry about the echo here )

and the riding conditions went from "excellent" to "very good". Not tough at all.

Up ahead, we saw some cliffs that were reminiscent of the San Rafael Reef, in Utah that we'd seen way back during Mobius II!

Here is the YT version closer,

Anyway, it reminded ME of UT but now that I see the photos next to each other, not so much. This was only 2km from Engineer Creek campground, and soon we were there.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #3497
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,486
Dammit... now I find with every photo I'm looking for the loose strap.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #3498
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
Dammit... now I find with every photo I'm looking for the loose strap.
Doc you are truly a Saint. LDF is certainly lucky to have a man that can so valiantly overlook all of her faults.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

www.hoofrehab.com

SlowRide13 screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 11:26 AM
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #3499
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
The pics are fabulous!

However, the road doesn't look like the MX track I road years ago.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #3500
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,550
Laugh I like the Top Chef analogy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

The theory was completely validated. It was raining everywhere where we were not... just in front of us, behind, to the side. We maybe got 2 or 3 drops on us. It was kind of cool, like when a top chef contestant wins the quick-fire challenge and gets immunity from the elimination round. That was us.
As usual, Great RR
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #3501
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Try a machine tool cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
LDF heroically trudged back through the killer bee swarm to the gas station, and then to the truck stop / auto shop and resourcefully procured a new tube of rubber cement, while I prepped the tube for patching, and reflected on how many tubes of rubber cement have met their demise in various bicycle and motorcycle patch kits in my custody over the years.

It has to be hundreds. This is the Achilles heel of my tool kit. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
There are various sizes of machine tool bit protectors available. I have several sizes around right now. They are used for everything from drill bits to milling bits and reamers. Most of mine are built so one side slips over the other, sort of a tube within a tube, and they are cheap, and very rugged.
Yamaguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #3502
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,335
What enormous beauty!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #3503
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,056
Great trip, Doc.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #3504
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,348
Hey Doc,

How's it going? Hit the wall with the report writting? I certianly like to come in and see your updates to the report.

David
Alaska Trip Report Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #3505
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sorry about the slowdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
Hey Doc,

How's it going? Hit the wall with the report writting? I certianly like to come in and see your updates to the report.

David
And thank you for your patience. It's been a combination of feeling that keeping up the writing pace was becoming a bit of a chore, but more so that work and life obligations and demands were piling up and needed some concentrated attention.

It's all good now; the new dishwasher will be delivered on thursday, I have a tracking number for the laptop on its way to Oman, my lecture syllabus was submitted on deadline and accepted without edits, Nina's letters of recommendation have been posted, all my electronic charting deficiencies have been cleared, and so... it's time to get back to the ride report!

So we pull into Engineer Creek campground, and there are a few things going on. LDF is freaking a bit about camping amidst all the bears we've been seeing. Or at least all the bears she's been imagining.

The ground is muddy almost everywhere, but the good news is that we have our choice of campsites, because there doesn't seem to be a soul around. There is a single camper parked, but no one seems to be there.

Once we pick our site, LDF unloads the tent,

and mentions again to me that there's been a rattling sound coming from her bike. I immediately see the cause: the upper chain roller has loosened up, and has been pulverized nearly to oblivion by the chain. The mounting hole has worn, and the rubber/plastic part of the roller is gone. Since I know I'm going to be wrestling with this, I stay in my riding gear so as not to get my camp clothes muddy.

There's almost no purchase on the bolt, and in fact, it's so smoothed down that I'm not even sure what section threads onto which. After about a half hour of struggling, cursing, knocking the bike over once, more cursing... I eventually get it using a combination of knipex cobra, judicious filing, meticulously placed vice grip, and prayer.

The chain had taken a beating itself from the dangling bolt, which was a bummer since it was a new chain. Nothing was obviously cracked, but the outer plates were clearly pounded and worn.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #3506
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,334
If not for the distracting loose straps and such flapping around, you might have noticed it sooner, eh?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #3507
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once I got that

sorted out, we headed down to the river to filter some water. Before watching our video, it's probably best to see this one first:

We stowed our bear bait items in that hut, tied up in the rafters, and tried to make a campfire, but the wood was too wet, and there wasn't any dry kindling either. . I don't remember what we ate, but I do remember what we drank. Water. Only. See, we were loaded down with extra gas, so we had to lighten up on other liquids. Bummer.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #3508
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats 'n stuff

we slept pretty good, except for being creeped out by the axe-murdering pervert holed up in the camper. We heard something moving over near the camper, and realized there was an occupant.

OK... i've got to spend some time with Lightroom before I can post the next day, but don't worry, it's gonna happen... I'm motivated.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #3509
suwee
Alledged Rookie

Oddometer: 337
Glad to see this continuing. Awesome rides, photog and reporting. Thanks for taking the time.
suwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #3510
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One more for the day

somehow this got into the next day's folder. Turns out we did get an anemic fire started for a bit.