User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,335
Someone elses bike...

Seems to be how it's happened for me this season. It started with the Harley I brought back from the US for a co-worker and then the F800GS I brought back for another guy.

What to say, what to say.
Well let's start at the beginning. This was an unplanned ride, the best ones usually are. I literally packed as I was getting ready to go to work. Showed up at work with a loaded bike and asked the boss if I could leave a little early. I was on the road by 11am. :).

No pictures from the first day. I was sorting some things out in my head. Took 500k just to blow the cobwebs out of my twisted thoughts. I got from Edmonton to Langley before I checked a ferry schedule and realized I'd never make my destination. Too bad. I was going to give it a shot. Still just shy of 800 miles isn't bad considering the start time.

Let's talk about the bike. It isn't mine. :). I share a house with Nighman and he's seen my decline over the thoughts in my head. He offered his bike for me to go sort it out. Thanks buddy. I know you realize how much I appreciate it, and how much I needed it.

Left Langley late this morning. First ferry was an hour wait, got to the second ferry to be told I was 3 hours early. Oh, and no cell service. That's actually a good thing. No cell means no distractions. I tightened the chain on the bike, thought about my current distraction and had a nap on the asphalt next to the bike. You know you're a rider when you see nothing at all wrong with napping in the parking lot in the shade of the bike.

Right now I'm here.... The front of the ferry for a 50 minute ride. I've got the cell playing train into my ear buds and I'm alternating between burning up the keypad typing this and enjoying the view. Later riders. It's all sorting itself out. You couldn't wipe this bliss from my face with a 2x4

Some random ferry shots. I've got to be honest, despite my miles and miles of riding time this was the first time I've taken a bike on a ferry. I've done it with cars but never on two wheels. Love it. First on, first off. Excellent.

This is Pete. He works at the Earls Cove Ferry terminal. See the Triumph in the back ground? 20 years ago he rode that bike across Canada, he still rides it to and from work on a regular basis. Hell of a nice guy. You'll know him right away, as soon as you ask him how he is he'll respond "not bad for an old frog" He repeated the trip a year ago on a Harley. Don't ask him how that trip went. You'll get an earful.

I made my friends place in Powell River at about 7pm. It was a quick walk down to the water, a relaxed night of dinner and conversation with a good friend that it's been too long since I've seen.

This is the view from the back of their home. You live in your own personal paradise my friend. Hopefully Peter is there next time and I can meet him too. I'll try to get there sooner than the next three years.

Now I can be a foolish sort on rides like this. I left Powell River for the second Ferry of the morning. I'm a sucker for making miles on rides like this.

I had a brief chat with the local RCMP which resulted in a very kind written warning. He clocked me at 107 in an 80. I saw him turning around and I was stopped and off the bike in a safe place so fast that he actually slid past me, antilock brakes working overtime to stop. I'm told the only reason I'm not paying a $200 ticket and dealing with the points is my willingness to pull over and wait for him to catch up with me. Nice guy.

This is the wait for the first ferry of the day. Island life (even though this is still really the mainland) sure moves at a different pace.

Hey you. This next picture was taken just for you. You know who you are. Can you see what in this picture made me think of you? Sorry everyone else, personal tradition. Just keeping it alive.

So here I am, I made good time getting to the second ferry. Talked to another BC ferry employee while I was waiting, (these guys all seem to love bikes) and made my way to the observation deck. Just chillin, listening to some tunes, sending a few text messages and snapping pics.

This is the life.........

View from the back. Look Smurph, Rona follows you everywhere...

Final ferry docking at horseshoe bay

I'll be honest from here on it's a blur. I had a full tank of fuel and I used it. I ran that bike from Powell River all the way to Edmonton, I won't say where the speedo indicated most of the run, I will say that it was a good pace and I'm quite impressed with how the little 650 handled the roads, my huge size and the pace. I only stopped once for pics on the way home and that was when the bike rolled over 40,000 miles. Yes, miles. This is a US bike. It happened on highway 5 in BC. A great place for a bike to celebrate a birthday.

That was it riders. A quick 3 day tear to the coast and back. I figure the last day was 17 hours on the bike, including ferry crossings and ferry waits. Something like 1300 k's for the return run. No idea on the trip total and to be honest I'm too damn tired to walk out to the garage and check the trip counter.

Thanks to all my friends for keeping an eye on me via spot and the text messages and emails as things progressed.

Rob

rob1313 screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 07:05 PM
rob1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
I keep tellin' ya, the dl650 is a mighty fine wee beastie.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures
I keep tellin' ya, the dl650 is a mighty fine wee beastie.
This was my first ride on one for any distance further than a couple blocks. Yes, it's a great little bike. I'd still buy a Vee before I'd buy a Wee but they are a great little bike. I'm just a liter bike kind of guy
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
pcwelder
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Way to Go Rob, you could probably start doing some rallys now with your KTM! Check out my friend Bob Jones' KTM under the name Silverstone here on ADV rider in the Racing forum under Lastminuteracingdotcom He did the Tunisian rally. Navigation and riding with checkpoints and avoiding cars and trucks all thundering through the desert.... sounds like fun huh!?

Scott Sherlow
pcwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
Great photos!
curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,844
Nicely done, Rob. I might make a ride report out of my trip to Michigan last week but I have to sort thru the 400 pics I took first.

I hear you about the cobwebs, I only put on 1700 miles over four days, but I finally reconciled the voices in my head.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
I'd say something about ego vs ability but methinks you actually have the ability Good to hear you had a great ride and made a few favourable comments towards the Wee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
I'm just a liter bike kind of guy

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 274
A fine friend, indeed, who will loan you his bike. "Clearing the head" type rides can be the very best.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
That was it riders. A quick 3 day tear to the coast and back. I figure the last day was 17 hours on the bike, including ferry crossings and ferry waits. Something like 1300 k's for the return run. No idea on the trip total and to be honest I'm too damn tired to walk out to the garage and check the trip counter.

Thanks to all my friends for keeping an eye on me via spot and the text messages and emails as things progressed.

Rob
Man, you had wings (maybe Vee-wings).
Glad you had a good and citation free trip, and mad it back safe.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride
Man, you had wings (maybe Vee-wings).
Glad you had a good and citation free trip, and mad it back safe.
Thanks. I'm a lucky guy. Problem is now I'm looking to add a more distance travel type bike to the garage. Damn trips are expensive in lots of ways :)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
PNW Buttercup
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Thanks. I'm a lucky guy. Problem is now I'm looking to add a more distance travel type bike to the garage. Damn trips are expensive in lots of ways :)
Oh I SOOOO understand that statement!!!
PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
rob1313 OP
Still learning

I've got a test ride booked on a Varadero for Saturday. Should be interesting to compare it to the Stroms that I'm used to. Hell I've ridden BMW 1200's, 800's, KLR's, Dl 650 & 1000's, it's been awhile since I've been on a honda. I'd also like to get my hands on a Connie 1400 for an hour or so.