Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,720
Burning Man for 2 (or) Sand- you can have it!

Three days, lets go see the desert. Left Nevada City, Ca. late, about noonish. No schedule, no plan, no matter. Up to Reno, NV and headed for Tonopah. Decided to turn south at Mina on a random road and camp. Gas in Mina, just caught the lady locking up at 6. Headed out Dump Rd- dirt/gravel easy. Through the cows, found a side road and camp in a wash, no threat of rain.
Dropped some tire pressure and headed out on the same road in the morning. Our destination, another random road up to Toiyabe National Forest and Austin. We traveled along cruising at 40 mph spooking a wild mustang. We started to go through a mountain range and hit a patch of sand. Scooted through ok, then hit some more. And a bit more. And then, yes more. The road became mostly sand for about a mile. I fell once, my husband twice.
Ktm proved to be a better tool, but not a job I want to do much. We got to Highway 89 (dirt/gravel) and had a decision. Go south to recon a road on the map that showed as a smaller red line than the road that we were just on, or take the highway up to Ione and on the Austin. Tired of sand we opted for the known easier route. At home later looking at Google Earth we should have taken the southern road as it looks to be a nice developed forest road through more interesting country. Lesson learned- we had a Droid phone and a signal, use the tools available next time.
Got to Ione, interesting town. "The Town That Woudn't Die" Looked mostly dead, though. Rolled through and headed towards Austin. More improved highway. Pay attention though, if you're not in the wheel track, the gravel can be thick and the track is faint at times. My husband drifted a bit to the right going 40mph and had a wild ride. Nothing I could do but slow and watch as he hung on, slowly dropped the throttle and rode it out.
Got to Austin in perfect time for lunch. Now to decide where to go next. Lets head north! Found another road to recon 40 miles up Highway 305. Got there to find..... silt! YUCK!
Ok, plan B. Back to Austin, head out Highway 722, and find a camp for the night. Time to air up.

We got to the road where we had planned on turning to fond a camp spot, but what lay before us? Twisties! After two days of straight, flat, gravel, dirt, sand, and silt, they were just the ticket. It wasn't a long stretch, but there were some beautiful curves there. Then we found more sand. Not the kind like before, but the real nasty kind. The kind in the middle of a curve in the middle of the road. All I am going to say here is ATGATT is good, and Jesse boxes provide nice (if expensive) bike protection. Jesse box is toast, mirror gone, cracked hand guard. Beemer started up, gave up some blue smoke and a moment of valve tap, then ran like a champ. Only injury was a bit of rattled nerves. No pictures to protect the innocent.
Found a camp down the road. Another wash.

Looked like a critter highway. We saw this guy taking advantage later that night. See him? over the bushes on the right.

Here, see him now?

This guy and his friend swooped around us within five feet. Silent hunters, pretty cool.
Morning came early and cold. Saddled up and headed to Fallon for breakfast. Headed for home. Passed sand mountain, wow, how bizarre. Glancing and the messages written with rocks in the salt flats along Highway 50 I happened to catch the ADV symbol. Hey, I know them!
Hit the Burning Man traffic in Truckee. Last adventure- lane splitting for two miles through truckers, campers, burners, and the oblivious. Made it to the old highway and detoured on the high road. Made it to Highway 20 in no time and enjoyed the brand new asphalt and no traffic the rest of the way home.
Trip total- three days, two nights, 760 odd miles, down four times, stuck twice, one mustang, two owls, one coyote, two hawks, four bighorn sheep, numerous cows (btw, according to the cow crossing warning signs, Nevada cows are far studlier than California cows) one bottle of port, and three games of cribbage. Our first trip together each on our own bikes is in the books. Life is good.

My Ride Reports

Hobbes950 screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 11:35 PM Reason: Wrong title
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
weldpro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Very cool! I primarily hit on this because I thought maybe you actually went up to the Black Rock Desert that weekend (which my wife & I did) so I was thinking wow another bike out there (we were not inside) on the Playa, and I did not see it!!! Sounds like you had a great time, and I too hate sand on the GS not so much solo but a whole lot when 2up.
Richard
1150gs,Husky TE630,crf450r(#101),450exc(#115p)
weldpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 812
Is that a Great Horned owl swooping you two?

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,720
Not sure what it was, but there were two of them. Plenty of critters down in that wash for them to snack on.

Want to make it to Burning Man someday, but can't imagine taking the bikes.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote