ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
twistedmind OP
HACKrrrrrrrr
 
twistedmind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Oddometer: 395
Road Suggestions? Wytheville to New Orleans

Rogue and I are heading out for a week of riding come Saturday.
Anybody got any experience with secondary roads going that direction?
and before you even think the smartass reply, I'm avoiding any road where "I" is part of the name.

Specifically, I'm wondering about southern sections of Tennessee and northern sections of Georgia, Alabama and Missippi.
__________________
I used to be a bad example.
Now I'm just a horrible warning...
twistedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
freaking RT
will golf for food
 
freaking RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: just outside Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 30,509
I'll check the map tomorrow. Chattanooga is a nice place to stop. good food down by the river. I forget the name of the brew pub, good beer and great food,. wife and I came across there coming back from AR.
__________________
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous


WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
freaking RT
will golf for food
 
freaking RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: just outside Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 30,509
In Chattanooga, Big River Grille and Brewing Works is the name of the place. wiggle the fun back roads down past Hot Springs, NC and then over the Cherohala Skyway into Chattanooga.

from there, find a back roads over to the Natches Trace Parkway; kind of like the BRP but without the mountaiuns
__________________
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous


WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence
 
HarveyMushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 16,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmind
Rogue and I are heading out for a week of riding come Saturday.
Anybody got any experience with secondary roads going that direction?
and before you even think the smartass reply, I'm avoiding any road where "I" is part of the name.

Specifically, I'm wondering about southern sections of Tennessee and northern sections of Georgia, Alabama and Missippi.
It's maybe too late, but this map of north Georgia is a good one.

I'm no local or expert, but:
There's always the Cherohala Skyway, running west from NC into Telico Plains, TN. From there take TN68 south to GA60 south into Suches. Once in Suches you can hang a left (east) into Wolf Pen Gap Rd. (180). Good fun. U.S. 129 over Blood Mtn. is fun. 348 is fun. Lots of roads in the area are fun. I don't know anything about the roads in 'bama.
__________________
Tim

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #5
ROGUE
Beastly Adventurer
 
ROGUE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Over Yonder, USA
Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
In Chattanooga, Big River Grille and Brewing Works is the name of the place. wiggle the fun back roads down past Hot Springs, NC and then over the Cherohala Skyway into Chattanooga.

from there, find a back roads over to the Natches Trace Parkway; kind of like the BRP but without the mountaiuns
Thanks Freak!

Do they have the same speeding policy as the BRP?
__________________
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
ROGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
ROGUE
Beastly Adventurer
 
ROGUE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Over Yonder, USA
Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
It's maybe too late, but this map of north Georgia is a good one.

I'm no local or expert, but:
There's always the Cherohala Skyway, running west from NC into Telico Plains, TN. From there take TN68 south to GA60 south into Suches. Once in Suches you can hang a left (east) into Wolf Pen Gap Rd. (180). Good fun. U.S. 129 over Blood Mtn. is fun. 348 is fun. Lots of roads in the area are fun. I don't know anything about the roads in 'bama.
It's not too late... we haven't decided on a route yet. I know, tick tock tick tock.

Thanks for the link! That looks like some fun!
__________________
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
ROGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
freaking RT
will golf for food
 
freaking RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: just outside Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 30,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUE
Thanks Freak!

Do they have the same speeding policy as the BRP?
yep. but, I didn't see much enforcement. you may want to ask a local.
__________________
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous


WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
twistedmind OP
HACKrrrrrrrr
 
twistedmind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Oddometer: 395
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
We'll see what we can do with this and good map.
I always love flying by the seat of my pants anyway.
The surprises are half the fun!
__________________
I used to be a bad example.
Now I'm just a horrible warning...
twistedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nocturnal's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Bland,VA
Oddometer: 1,675
No road suggestions, but when are ya'll planning on leaving Wytheville? Seeing how it's right next door I wouldn't mind meeting a few fellow riders and seeing em off.
__________________
Overheard at a local campground:
"I'll talk to you any damn way I want unless you've got a gun or a badge!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
ROGUE
Beastly Adventurer
 
ROGUE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Over Yonder, USA
Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
No road suggestions, but when are ya'll planning on leaving Wytheville? Seeing how it's right next door I wouldn't mind meeting a few fellow riders and seeing em off.
We're actually going to be in Christiansburg Saturday for a wedding, we plan on heading South for LA Sunday morning. PM my trip advisor (aka twistedmind ) if you want to try to ride with us for a bit that day or maybe meet for breakfast or something. We'll probably slab the initial portion of the trip, I'm not sure how much fun that'll be for ya.
__________________
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
ROGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nocturnal's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Bland,VA
Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUE
We're actually going to be in Christiansburg Saturday for a wedding, we plan on heading South for LA Sunday morning. PM my trip advisor (aka twistedmind ) if you want to try to ride with us for a bit that day or maybe meet for breakfast or something. We'll probably slab the initial portion of the trip, I'm not sure how much fun that'll be for ya.
Nope I can't handle riding the slab, it skeers me.
If I don't see ya'll in Wytheville have a good trip.
__________________
Overheard at a local campground:
"I'll talk to you any damn way I want unless you've got a gun or a badge!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #12
GaM
Beastly Adventurer
 
GaM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Oddometer: 1,877
If you wind up around Chattanooga, consider the Lookout Mountain Parkway to get headed west over into Alabama.

http://www.alabamabyways.org/lookoutmountain.htm
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #13
Hotshot
Def
 
Hotshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: village of Taft, somewhere in S. TN
Oddometer: 272
N. Bama

If you are coming into AL from the NE, check out the Mentone area and ride south into Desoto state park (check out the 70' waterfall) and into Little River Canyon State park (deepest mountain-top canyon on the east coast), just outside Ft. Payne, AL. The Canyon rim road is very twisty and senic. You can head west from there towards Guntersville, AL, a quaint city on the Tennesse river, and yes they sell alcohol. Before you get into Guntersville, you will cross over Sand Mountain, the home of the infamous snake handling Baptist churches. Bucks pocket state park is a pretty cool place to camp, just east of Guntersville. You can ride a little farther north of there to head toward the west into Athens and Florance, Alabama that is. Just west of Florance you can pick up the Natchez Trace parkway (slow, but pretty) into Mississippi. The April issue of Road Runner magazine has an article on riding N. Alabama that is pretty cool. If you guys need anything when you are in my hood, pm me and I'll give you my info...
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
Alien Hitchhiker
Abducted by Aliens, again
 
Alien Hitchhiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 32
Twistedmind - how about the Natchez Trace Parkway for a south bound leg of your little jaunt, or maybe the return route?
__________________
Steve
Ride smooth ~ Ride smart ~ Ride quiet ~ Ride quick
Alien Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #15
weave
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: In the Bush. LA.
Oddometer: 646
Below Birmingham

Road Parrallels MS Border, havent ridden it but it looks good on topos.
__________________
weAve
weave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014