User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Mark of The Potter

Not much of a "Ride Report" here, but we had fun...

I have lived in North Georgia most of my adult life and have never been to the Mark Of the Potter. I guess, unless you have a motorcycle and are just out looking for a good ride, there is little reason to run into the place. Unless you live in the area, it is kind of between nowhere and nowhere.

The building is an old mill (grain and saw) that is on a river. As you might be able to see (despite my crappy camera/skills) there is an elevation change in the river - they harnessed the waters energy to run the mill. Today they use it as a pottery shop and apparently do some turning demonstrations - although yesterday there was nobody working any clay. I didn't get any shots of the inside - I didn't think my camera was up to the challenge.

The entrance looks like it is a put-on (like back in the 80s when suburban housewives decorated their home in the "country" style, but it is for real.

For North Georgia, there are some monster trout in the river here. There are "No Fishing" signs posted everywhere. Apparently, they also leave out fish-food for visitors to throw to the fish. Yesterday they had a sign saying something about not feeding them because the water is too warm and the fish are too stressed.

For some reason the fish were lining up at a spot where water flowed under the building - presumably the water used to run that way when it powered the mill. It was unclear to us whey they were doing this; cooler water? Food in the water?

Anyway, it was a fun trip. If you are in Northeast Georgia and are looking for something to do, it fits the bill.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
So what does Mark of the Potter have in his shop? got pics?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
So what does Mark of the Potter have in his shop? got pics?
Today they use it as a pottery shop and apparently do some turning demonstrations - although yesterday there was nobody working any clay. I didn't get any shots of the inside - I didn't think my camera was up to the challenge.

That being said, I found a few photos via Google that don't really do it justice. Many of the old belts and pulleys are still overhead - along with some interesting timber framing.

The back porch (that overlooks the river)

And some interior views:

guitarhack screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 08:14 AM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Interesting place Thanks for sharing
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote