Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #391
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,079
When are the Sand pants going to ship to the US?
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #392
Ghostpilots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpilots
Basically the Kelvin H2O, Zenith H2O, Orion GTX or ALASKA GTX are the runners in my mind. Price is really not a major deal, anything from $100-$199 is fine though, of course, cheaper is always better hahaha. I do have dedicated summer gloves, so hot riding is not a problem. I just need something that'll keep the rain and wind off and maybe keep my hands a little warmer than the halfmesh shorties I run during the summer.

Again, rainproofness is the biggest seller for me. Thats really what I care about the most. After that my needs are simple; some heat retention, non-bulky, and stylish (though all the gloves I listed hit the last point). Definitely leaning towards the Orion or Alaska now, especially after watching the Orion video, but do you have any experience with the other 2 or have any other opinions/options for me?

I live in Canada, by the way, so could potentially be riding in weather that does run the entire range of temps and conditions, though true winter riding is probably not going to happen. My feeling is that unless I buy one of the true 'dead-of-winter' type gloves, as long as I use the gloves for rain riding and colder days in the spring fall and winter, overheating and sweating should not be a problem. Would you agree?
Quoting this again, because I kinda buried it by accident in the middle of the thread.

A quicker synopsis of the question would be:

I am thinking of the Alaska GTX or Orion GTX as a coldweather and rain glove. I already have dedicated hot weather gloves, so overheating is not an issue. Would the Alaska still be too hot for summer rains, or will I be alright?

Thanks again; really appreciate all the help you've given me!
Ghostpilots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #393
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochZilla
Hi Tim,

Great questions, I'm at home right now, so without access to my closet of jackets (at the office / moto batcave) I am goig to say that all of the jackets mentioned should have sufficient space for an "improtant stuff" internal pocket. Waterproofing could be different though. I will 2x check for you monday morning.

The big one here is that the CP and the Sand shells are both water resistant and have a DWR baked inot the shell to help water bead up and roll off. They waterproof layer is removable and lives inside. The tough part is that your definition of "moderate" could be different than mine.

The only thing I can tell you is that the outer shell will eventually take on water and soak through, aside from the waterproof pockets (depending on the jackets.

If you are the type of person that does not like to fiddle with liners, I would actually say check out the Firstgear TPG Rainier or TPG Teton. Both are beautiful and have the waterproof / breathable membrane laminated inot the outershell.

The AST could be a great option as well, but it is not as technical as the TPG (really the armor is the big difference). The upside to the AST (with a laminated WP / breathable liner) is that the cut if very generous. So if you have some extra meat on your bones it offers a great option and also comes in Hi-Viz. Depends on how important that is for you,

The TPG stuff is the same svelte euro cut that the REV'IT! stuff has.

I love the REV'IT! gear to death, but there are sometimes where the liner system might not be ideal for some folks. You could be one.

I own a TPG Rainier myself as well as a CP, and now a REV'IT! Defender. I wear them all in different circumstances. They are all great as well as the AST. Our customers love the AST and it provides a ton of bang for the price.

The light colors DO show more dirt, but in touring applications its slightly less of an issue. Depending on your warm seasons, the dark colors could be a better bet for you.

Happy to elaborate more, but I am running out the door to have diner with my wife - she is now yelling at me. Give me your feedback on this and I will elaborate from there.

Pardon any typose here - I am being ripped away from the iMac!!!!

Didn't want to leave you hanging!!!

Anthony

Thank you, this is very useful. So I watched the videos about the Rainier - prtly I am kind of over FG after wearing Kili's for the last ten years, but it looks like a great jacket. The little pocket on the left arm is really useful for me because I cann put my work badge in there and swipe the sensor into the parking garage. HMMM choices.

So my question is about the D3O armor. In your first post on this thread you rate different types of armor with GOOD, BEST AVAILABLE etc. How would you rate the D3O on that scale?

Also, how would you rate the overall quality of materials and construction comparing the Cayenne and the Rainier - Am I right in thinking the Cayenne is slightly better construction?

Thinc2 screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 08:52 AM
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #394
Casey851
Bluegrass Wanderer

Oddometer: 50
Schuberth??

First off, thank you guys for all the info and your dedication to the ADVriders. We appreciate it.

My question was about the Schuberth line of helmets. Will you all be carrying it? I've heard lots of good reviews of them, especially for us touring types.

thanks again for all the great advice.

Take care,
Casey

PS. I aplogize if this has been asked before.
Casey851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #395
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 761
The Sand pants should be coming back this Fall. We are chomping at the bit as well.

You can drop you emal addy on the product page on our site in the yellow box that comes up when you select a size that is out of stock.

You will be notified the moment they become available to ship.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
When are the Sand pants going to ship to the US?

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #396
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hey Ghosts,

Yes all of the REV'IT! GTX gloves will be too hot for summer rain. They have very serious thermal liners.

The REV'IT! Zenith H20 are much better suited for Summer rain and have a hard knuckle.

Happy to help.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpilots
Quoting this again, because I kinda buried it by accident in the middle of the thread.

A quicker synopsis of the question would be:

I am thinking of the Alaska GTX or Orion GTX as a coldweather and rain glove. I already have dedicated hot weather gloves, so overheating is not an issue. Would the Alaska still be too hot for summer rains, or will I be alright?

Thanks again; really appreciate all the help you've given me!

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #397
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hi Thinc,

I will answer inline - great questions.

Thank you, this is very useful. So I watched the videos about the Rainier - prtly I am kind of over FG after wearing Kili's for the last ten years, but it looks like a great jacket. The little pocket on the left arm is really useful for me because I cann put my work badge in there and swipe the sensor into the parking garage. HMMM choices.

AB: The TPG line is a big step up from FG's previous jackets. You almost have to forget what you know about FG when thinking about the TPG stuff.

So my question is about the D3O armor. In your first post on this thread you rate different types of armor with GOOD, BEST AVAILABLE etc. How would you rate the D3O on that scale?

AB: I would put the d3o as the "Better" option. More protective and comfortable than Knox which is better usually than generic CE as well. Not as protective as SAS-TEC which is the big dog on the armor scene. SAS-TEC is used in the Cayenne Pro.

Also, how would you rate the overall quality of materials and construction comparing the Cayenne and the Rainier - Am I right in thinking the Cayenne is slightly better construction?[/quote]

AB: I really like the construction of both the REV'IT! and the FG Rainier. I consider the both high end jackets. I like the Rainier over the REV'IT! Sand in most cases and I consider the Sand to be an awesome jacket.

The Cayenne Pro will have the best armor with the SAS-TEC. The Cayenne Pro will also use a beefier mix of outer shell fabrics: 1000D Cordura, 750D Powershell. The CP also has some of the little niceties like spring loaded snaps and a unique ADV style.

The Rainier has the laminated waterproof / breathable membrane which I am a fan of. It's also more of a touring length. It's outershell is going to be less abrasion resistant than the CP at 600D.

The CP offers more features, albeit at a higher price. Its also more rugged and "adventurous" - built to take a potentially more offroad beating.

On the other hand the TPG is a rocksolid all-season Touring Jacket and as of this week there is now a redesigned TPG Escape pant to go with it.

The CP is overkill for some riders, although in my opinion there is no such thing as too much protection. I think you really will be happy either way, its a question of what you want to invest.

Feel free to fire back. :-) Happy to help.

Anthony
Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #398
Shane Stump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochZilla
Hi Thinc,

I will answer inline - great questions.

AB: The TPG line is a big step up from FG's previous jackets. You almost have to forget what you know about FG when thinking about the TPG stuff.

AB: I would put the d3o as the "Better" option. More protective and comfortable than Knox which is better usually than generic CE as well. Not as protective as SAS-TEC which is the big dog on the armor scene. SAS-TEC is used in the Cayenne Pro.

Also, how would you rate the overall quality of materials and construction comparing the Cayenne and the Rainier - Am I right in thinking the Cayenne is slightly better construction?
AB: I really like the construction of both the REV'IT! and the FG Rainier. I consider the both high end jackets. I like the Rainier over the REV'IT! Sand in most cases and I consider the Sand to be an awesome jacket.

The Cayenne Pro will have the best armor with the SAS-TEC. The Cayenne Pro will also use a beefier mix of outer shell fabrics: 1000D Cordura, 750D Powershell. The CP also has some of the little niceties like spring loaded snaps and a unique ADV style.

The Rainier has the laminated waterproof / breathable membrane which I am a fan of. It's also more of a touring length. It's outershell is going to be less abrasion resistant than the CP at 600D.

The CP offers more features, albeit at a higher price. Its also more rugged and "adventurous" - built to take a potentially more offroad beating.

On the other hand the TPG is a rocksolid all-season Touring Jacket and as of this week there is now a redesigned TPG Escape pant to go with it.

The CP is overkill for some riders, although in my opinion there is no such thing as too much protection. I think you really will be happy either way, its a question of what you want to invest.

Feel free to fire back. :-) Happy to help.

Anthony
Anthony[/quote]

Anthony,

GREAT advice on the FG TPG line. I have both the Rainier and the Teton depending on jacket style I want for the daily ride. I also have the TPG pants. The TPG gear is great for Fall -> Spring riding in Texas.

I sold my Cayenne Pro jacket/pants after a year and then bought the TPG stuff. I loved the Cayenne Pro until the weather changed. I had several occasions where I would go for a multiple day ride which included rain. If the Cayenne Pro outer shell got drenched and you don't have access to a dryer, you are going to be in wet gear for a couple of days.

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #399
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

So many people don't know how rock-solid the new TPG stuff is. I am a huge fan.

Bravo for stepping up FG.

Thanks for chiming in Shane.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stump
Anthony,

GREAT advice on the FG TPG line. I have both the Rainier and the Teton depending on jacket style I want for the daily ride. I also have the TPG pants. The TPG gear is great for Fall -> Spring riding in Texas.

I sold my Cayenne Pro jacket/pants after a year and then bought the TPG stuff. I loved the Cayenne Pro until the weather changed. I had several occasions where I would go for a multiple day ride which included rain. If the Cayenne Pro outer shell got drenched and you don't have access to a dryer, you are going to be in wet gear for a couple of days.

Best Regards,

Shane

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #400
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hey Jim,

Sorry I missed this. Got lost in that flurry, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

See my answers inline beginning with "AB"

I watched your glove guide.

I'm considering the Dainese Jerico, Held Warm n Dry or Rev'it Kelvin. I hate bulk in gloves. The last couple years I've worn warm n safe heated gloves which are very thin, but the wires are just a pain. Rev'it Celcius were my go to winter glove for a few years, but like most things Rev'it they fell apart pretty quick. Still, they couldn't have fit better.

Dainese Jerico seems great, but it's hard to tell if it has a strap to hold the glove on the wrist? Is it only that zipper? How would that glove be in actual usage? That inner Goretex liner seems like a great idea, but putting on taking off multiple times/ day? Is that a pain? How bulky?

AB: There is an underside wrist strap. The for the level of warmth it is not bulky. The Gore-Tex gator is well designed and hugs the wrist / arm tightly. I's not Dainese's first rodeo with this stuff. I think the "being" a pain factor is too subjective for me to call. But I do know you are an attention to detail guy Jim.

Held gloves are awesome and generally fit me perfect in a 9.5. Will the warm n dry fit the same? I know that it's hard to say, but how cold can you wear these with heated grips? How bulky are they? Is the gauntlet thin enough that they could be worn under cuff (preferred)?

AB: The Guantlet is thin enough for under cuff. Fit should be the same. The glove will work well with heated grips, which should take you down to freezing or below temps, depending on your tolerance. These gloves are not bulky at all and actually quite sensitive. They are also beefy from a protection standpoint.

Rev'it Kelvin. The replacement for my Celcius were Rev'it Fahrenheit. Way too bulky! How are these? I love the PCM and wonder why all manufacturers don't use it in their gloves!? Also, why is Rev'it not using it in the new line of goretex gloves? Held made the Hawk (great ski glove!) with Outlast and Goretex..

AB: REV'IT! is moving away form the Schoeller brand of products due to the cluster-f around delamination issues on the Infinity. So PCM went out the window with the new GTX line. I have Outlast in my Burton Snowboard gloves as well. It would be nice to see it in addition to the GTX, but I know you are looking at a glove that costs $220 for the Bastion most likely vs $189. I am speculating though. The addition of Gore-Tex really adds to the cost.

Let me know what else I could offer Jim. Dainese is on sale this week only. You can save $30 on the Jerico's.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #401
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
Thank you for the clear answers - this is incredibly useful in helping make the right decision. Great to have on you on this site.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #402
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Thanks Anthony,
I think I might order the Warm n Dry and the Jerico's and send one back. As for sizing on the Jerico I vaguely remember trying on some Dainese gloves awhile back and they were great in an XL. If I'm a solid 9/9.5 in Held gloves (Hawk & Steve) does that sound about right? Still 9 in the Warm n Dry?

Jim
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #403
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Just placed an order for the warm n dry. Looks like the Jerico aren't in stock. I'm sure I'd prefer the cuff design anyway on the held gloves.

Thanks
Jim
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #404
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the note and the business. I am anxious to hear how you like them.

Best,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Just placed an order for the warm n dry. Looks like the Jerico aren't in stock. I'm sure I'd prefer the cuff design anyway on the held gloves.

Thanks
Jim

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #405
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

2011 REV'IT! Spring Collection Sneak Preview

We just posted up our first impression of the new REV'IT! Spring 2011 Gear Collection. Consider it a sneak preview.

There are definitely some standouts for the new season for ADV.

Read about the new 2011 Items here: REV'IT! 2011 Spring Gear

I know there are a ton of folks subscribed here, so I wanted to get it on everyone's radar.

Happy to answer questions here and there.

Best,

-Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R