Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
CBAT OP
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 824
Lower Great Divide and Shadow of the Rockies

First of all I would like to thank those that made this trip possible. My wife, Sandy, for understanding my need to do crazy stuff like this. Perry, who follows along without question and tolerates all of my navigation errors with a smile. Kurt, Rusty, and Scott who all agreed to monitor the SPOT and help Sandy to find us in case of emergency. My sister Leslie and her family for letting us use her home in Colorado Springs as our base camp and fixing some awesome meals. :eat: The rest of my friends and family for cheering us on.

The Continental Divide Trail is a route composed of a series of dirt roads that follows the continental divide as close as possible from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border while staying on public right of ways. Originally developed as a ride for mountain bicycles by the Adventure Cycling Association, the roads are County Roads, US Forest Service trails, and State roads. I'm not sure but from anecdotal experience approximately 85% of the entire trial is dirt varying from well groomed very wide roads to seldom traveled and never maintained two track jeep trails. There are even a few sections of single track along the way. Last summer we rode the northern 2/3 of the Continental Divide Trail from the northern border to Salida, CO. You can read all about that trip HERE, if you want. We were limited by time available so we were left with some unfinished business to take care of. This trip was conceived on the way home last summer. Planning began immediately. Dates for vacation were reserved at the earliest possible opportunity. To make the trip more interesting I decided to make a loop out of the ride to include the New Mexico portion of the Shadow of the Rockies trail. We would also use part of the Trans America Trail as it shares the route with the Shadow of the Rockies in southern Colorado. Here is the overall map of our ride. Nearly 2300 miles in 8 days.

Here is a shot of my gear piled on the dining table to give an idea of what I would carry on the bike. As little as possible but it still would end up being about 40 lbs.

We would haul the bikes to Colorado Springs were my sister would let us use her home as a base of operations. We left home early and arrived in CO Springs just after sunset.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote