Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia
Think of the gas you would save if you could ride your bike every day.
I ride every day so long as the weather permits. 19,700 miles last year
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Route 4 - Some I-24 time (and speed)

Our college concert kept us out until about 1:30am this morning. So I slept in until 7:30am. That's really pretty unusual since I tend to wake up before 5:30 each morning without an alarm clock. We had 3 bands last night and got a late start.

Today is also LiberiaSon's birthday. He's 29 years old today and a fine young man (Mrs. Liberia did a good job raising him:-) By the time I finished saying Happy Birthday, made a little breakfast, took the dogs out and read a little, it was more than time for me to head into work.

This morning we're taking a route with about half the distance being on new roads. We'll leave the driveway, turn right on Fosterville-Short Creek Road. Then left onto Hwy 269 and right on Hoover Gap Road. That's exactly what we did yesterday. But instead of immediately turning left on Wayside Road, we'll continue straight ahead on Hoover Gap Road until it tee's into Plainview Drive. We'll go left on Plainview until it tee's into Epps Mill Road (which we were on yesterday). Hoover Gap, Wayside, Epps Mill and Plainview make a square box. Yesterday we went down the bottom of the "box" and today we'll go down the top of it. After turning back onto Epps Mill we'll go to I-24 and head West. I changed my mind while on I-24 and chose to exit early onto Joe B. Jackson Parkway (man's prerogative) which goes to US-41 and then into Murfreesboro the same as yesterday.

This route is close but not exactly what I actually rode. We turned off of I-24 a little earlier than shown here.

By now you've figured out that 1) I'm not a great photographer and 2) I'm even a less great photographer when trying to ride a motorcycle. But I am learning. So for you animal lovers, there is a squirrel in this picture that was taken just down from our driveway on Fosterville-Short Creek Road. See if you can find it.

I've decided to give a prize to whoever can find the squirrel first, mark up a copy of the photo with an arrow pointing to it and repost it on this thread. Not sure what the prize will be but I'll make it something fun. I'll PM the winner for an address to send it to and will post of picture of the prize and the winner's avatar on the thread.

It's about 8:30am and the morning is warm. The cows all seem to be a little lazy this morning. This is next door to Mr. Johnson's house.

As I mentioned earlier, rather than turn left onto Wayside like we did yesterday, we're going straight for another mile or so and then take a left.

I'm always surprised each time I come to this 3 way stop and don't see the back of a car sticking out of the front of the church building. (Revelation 22:7 would be an appropriate text for each Sunday's sermon.) This hasn't always been a church. I think perhaps it was a country store in times gone by and was converted over to a church building. The property to the immediate right of where I'm stopped was just autioned off a month or two ago and this church bought 20 acres of it to build a bigger facility. I'm sure they will appreciate the added safety factor as well.

We're turning left onto Plainview for a couple of miles until we meet up with Epps Mill Road.

About 3-4 months ago Mrs. Liberia and I were driving home this way and found that these folks' house had burned during the night. They've just completed a new log home in its place.

Oddly enough, both Plainview and Wayside (which we went down yesterday and which parallels Plainview) have a 90 degree "S" curve in almost the same place. Kind of fun on a motorcycle but just one more slow down in a car.

This is where Plainview meets up with Epps Mill Road. We turn right which puts us back on the same path as yesterday.

Shortly we're at the Interstate. We'll turn left (West) for Murfreesboro which is about 9 miles. Nashville is 32 miles beyond Murfreesboro on I-24.

One of the good things about being on the V-Strom is the power and speed. It's a DL1000 with a true overdrive for 6th gear. It's not even worth putting into 6th gear unless you're above 60mph. A lot of people drop a tooth on the front sprocket to compensate for this. When I'm driving through Georgia on I-75 it's common for people to run 80mph or higher. I-24 seems to be a little slower road and 75mph is more typical. There's also a couple of Highway Patrolmen who frequently set up along the Interstate just outside of Mufreesboro so that might be part of it as well.

Like most Interstates, it was built for speed and comfort. I've travelled quite a bit in my work over the years and I think the national interstate road system is one of the best things that we've done. Can you imagine what it would be like with all this traffic, especially trucks, coming through these small towns? But interstates aren't made for motorcycles in my opinion. So I'm glad they are there but I try to avoid them when on a bike if possible.

More animal pictures. Birds on a wire.

Here's one of the things I don't like about interstates. During my motorcycle safety course, the instructors made special mention to spend as little time next to tractor/trailers as possible due to the tendency for their tires to separate and fly all over the place at high speeds. I always think about this whenever I'm passing or being passed by a large truck.

Here's where I vary from my predetermended route. I had planned to take I-24 all the way to US-231 and then duplicate the rest of route 1 and route 2 described earlier. Instead I decided to exit onto Joe B. Jackson Parkway. Joe B. was a longtime mayor of Murfreesboro so he got a newly built road named after him. I think I'll name the paved part of our driveway after myself just so that I can experience some of the same feelings:-)

Joe B. Jackson Parkway is mostly empty, commercial property right now. It has a few trucking related businesses, a small housing development and a church along it now but probably 80% or so is undeveloped and for sale. It was moving pretty quickly until the economic crisis hit a couple of years or so back. It's in a good location and will start selling again once (if) things improve.

And the last photo from this trip is where Joe B. Jackson Parkway tee's into US-41 just outside of Murfreesboro. The rest of the trip in is exactly as shown yesterday.

By the way, I have 10 identified routes in to work and believe there may be at least 5 more that meet the criteria stated at the beginning of this thread. If you have additional suggestions please submit them.

Liberia screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 09:08 AM
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 5 - A relaxing ride home

Route 5 was run in reverse from work to home. Here's the course:
Leave work on Hillard Drive to US-231.
At the edge of town veer left on Bradyville Pike (TN-99) for about 9 miles
Turn right on Lowe Road for 3.5 miles
Then right again on Big Springs Road for a couple of miles
This changes to Ridley Earp Road, jogs left for a football field or so on US-41 and then back right for a mile.
Take a left on Miller Road for a mile then
Right on Hoover Gap Road for 3 miles, then Hwy 269, Fosterville-Short Creek Road and Edwards Blvd.
Total is 23.8 miles with 77.31% of it on new pavement.

Backtracking from the office back the way we came in this morning takes us back to US-41 for about a half mile. US-41 continues south but Bradyville Pike splits off to the left where you see the cars ahead of me turning. I’ve often wondered why a road was called a “Pike.” I’ve heard that it was because old toll roads from past centuries were called pikes. Here’s one answer that I found on the internet (and you know everything on the internet is true):

The podictionary word for today is “turnpike”: Believe it or not, the fish, “the pike,” is etymologically related to the highway “the pike.” The highway the pike is called a pike because it’s an abbreviation for turnpike. But why would a road be called a turnpike in the first place? In fact the word turnpike itself is an abbreviation for what was at first called a turnpike road.

The turnpike that made a road a turnpike road was a toll booth. Now a days toll roads collect their tolls with electronic chips sending radio signals and automatically charging your credit card but it is still common to find toll booths where a mechanical barrier swings down to block a car’s progress until it’s paid the toll.

An earlier version of these barriers, from a time before cars, were intended less to collect tolls, but to keep horses off the footpaths. These were constructed like turnstiles with a cross of timbers that rotated as you pushed your way through like a revolving door. It’s clear why such a device might have the epithet “turn” applied to it, but why turnpike? It seems that the earliest form of turnpike of them all was not a type of toll booth or turnstile, but a kind of barbed fence.

A pike was a sharp spear type affair and if you planted a bunch of them across the road they would have the effect of turning away an oncoming enemy. So originally 600 years ago turn pike meant a repelling spear, the name just seemed to fit so well that it was applied to the later road barrier that had arms that turned, and so on to toll booths. But what does all that have to do with the fish you ask. Well a pike that swims in a lake is so called because he has a sharp pointed head, sort of like those spears.

Bradyville Pike is a nice, easy road to ride on. Because it is does not take you to a populated area, it becomes less travelled the further out you go. I’m not sure why I don’t go home this way more often. Before we really get into the outskirts we have to cross Middle Tennessee Blvd again.

I didn’t do a very good job of capturing it but I’ve always thought one of the old bread trucks would make a great bike hauler. You could put a couple of fold down cots, an a/c unit on top and camp and ride.

Nice rural scenery, smooth asphalt and mild weather make for a great ride.

I’m not sure what it means when the sun and moon are both visible at the same time. I know when the sun is out and it’s raining the devil is beating his wife:-)

You can see some of the hills in the background that are part of the Highland Rim. This is a ring of hills that circle Nashville (it sits down in a bowl).

And, of course, a red barn.

After 8 miles or so we take a right onto Lowe Road to start our movement west.

The road becomes a little more rolling but is still pleasant and all mine.

Some of the older farm houses are slowly being overtaken by nature.

One thing to remember is that, although it seems like Lowe Road would continue straight across like most roads, it does not. You stop at the stop sign and turn right to continue on Lowe Road. If you go straight across you will be on Arnold Road which goes about a mile and dead ends. Ask me how I know that…

More hay. It’s that time of year and the weather is cooperating. So farmers are getting it baled as quickly as they can.

After some nice sweeping curves and a couple of abrupt jogs, we reach Ridley Earp Road.

It’s a lot like the other two roads we’ve been on today, rolling hills, sweeping curves and few cars.

After a few miles we come to Hoover Gap Road. We were on that for a little while this morning but not on this portion. We turn right but the guy immediately across the road has a lot of neat, old stuff including an old truck that needs to be restored before it rusts out.

Another, old grain silo. These can hold a number of different type of feed but most have silage which is corn plants cut when it’s still green. Not sure what this one holds, if anything.

These people have several horses. When I was a boy my father was a game warden for the State of Florida. The Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission had horses that were used in the woods at times and we kept them at our house. The thing I remember most is that horses are among the most destructive animals on earth. What they didn’t chew up they kicked or pushed down.

Some nice curves to play on.

You might recognize this little church from this morning’s ride in. It’s where we left Hoover Gap Road for Plainview Road. We’ll turn left to stay on Hoover Gap.

There’s only one other picture that I wanted for today. I tried to take it while moving this morning but didn’t get a good shot. One of the neighbors has a railroad caboose on tracks in his back yard.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I don’t know if I’ll be going into the office. So it could be Monday before I post another route. Thanks for taking this trip with me. We’ve got at least 5 more trips and possibly as many as 10 more.

Liberia screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 04:59 AM
Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #20
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Joys of Country Living

Living in the country can have its surprises!

Last night I decided to read in bed before sleeping while Mrs. Liberia decided to stay up for a while longer. I had just drifted off to sleep when I heard her calling me. I staggered into the living room and asked what the problem was. She calmly said, "We have a snake in the house and I think it's a rattlesnake." Okay... time to wake up.

Sure enough, I looked over near the TV and there was a baby rattlesnake, perhaps 12 inches long. It's just starting to cool off a little here and we leave our doors (3 sets of french doors) open during the day for ventilation. I guess the little fellow decided to come in for a visit. No telling how long he had been inside but probably just for an hour or so.

I took a Diamond Willow walking stick my Alaska brother had given me several years ago and "tapped" him on the head.

(I put things like this in here as it cuts down on the number of people dropping by for a visit)

Another joy that you gain living on a hill in the country are sunrises. Mrs. Liberia thinks the sun starts out pretty far up in the sky each morning but I've assured her it really starts just below the horizon

Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 6 - A jumbled up backroads way to work

It's Monday morning and back to the office. Left late this morning as Mrs. Liberia, LiberiaDaughter 1 and LiberiaDaughter2 are trying to get ready for a driving trip to Toronto, Canada. LiberiaDaughter2 is moving there for 6 months in hopes of getting a job with one of the theater lighting companies as a lighting designer. She believes the public transportation in Toronto is good enough that she will not need her car so Mrs. Liberia and LiberiaDaughter2 will be driving it back home. I guess growing up in the rural south has me convinced that having a car is an absolute necessity. The closest thing we had to public transportation when I was young was the public school bus.

In order to get at least 25% new roads for the drive in, today's route will be quite chopped up. We'll start out retracing a route that we've been on at least twice. Then it will be all new and then the last mile or two will be a repeat as well.

Head east on Fosterville Short Creek Rd toward TN-269 E/Liberty Pike
Turn left at TN-269 W/Liberty Pike
Turn right at Christiana Hoovers Gap Rd/Hoover Gap Rd
Turn left at Plainview Rd
Turn right at Epps Mill Rd
Take the 1st right to stay on Epps Mill Rd
Turn right at TN-2 E/US-41 S/Manchester Pike (new)
Take the 1st left onto Cobb Rd (new)
Turn left at Jacobs Rd (new)
Slight right at E Gum Rd (new)
Turn left at Cedar Grove Rd (new)
Slight right at Lytle Creek Rd (new)
Turn left to stay on Lytle Creek Rd (new)
Turn left to stay on Lytle Creek Rd (new)
Turn right to stay on Lytle Creek Rd (new)
Turn right at Wilson Overall Rd (new)
Take the 1st left onto TN-99 W/Bradyville Pike
Turn right at Ghee Rd (new)
Turn left at Veals Rd (new)
Take the 1st right onto Double Springs Rd (new)
Turn left at TN-1 W/US-70S W/John Bragg Hwy
Turn right at SE Broad St
Take the 1st left onto S Church St/US-231 Scenic S
Take the 2nd right onto Hillard St/S Maple St
Turn left at S Walnut St

Starting out at the bottom of the driveway on the 2001 Night Train. I really like this bike. It's the smoothest shifting Harley that I've ever ridden (might not be saying much to you non-Harley guys). HD really got it right with this particular bike and the all black front end sets it apart from all the other Night Trains that I've seen.

For the first time we turn right onto US-41 off of Epps Mill Road. Almost immediately we turn left onto Cobb Road.

Cobb Road is a nice, country backroad. Rutherford County, Tennessee has good roads for the most part. Much better than a lot of other areas around the country that I've travelled to. It's also very straight for the segment we'll be on today.

Our next turn is a left onto Jacobs Road. This is a very chopped up roadway with several 90 degree turns. My guess is that it was series of old dirt and gravel roads that separated farms. When they decided to pave the roads through there it was simply a matter of following the already patchwork trails rather than going to the trouble of gaining new right of ways through existing farms.

One of the big cash crops in Middle Tennessee is soybeans. They seem to do well in the mediocre soil of this area. This farmer has his combine out in the field ready to begin the harvesting. You can tell by the yellowing of the plants that they are about ready.

Of course, there's always a red barn.

Backroads frequently "T" in to other small roads right at the entrance to a barn (or church as you saw in an earlier post). That would seem kind of dangerous but the traffic is so light on most of these back roads that it's seldom a problem. This is where Jacobs Road ends into East Gum Road. Gum is a type of tree around here referred to mostly by the old timers. We turn right on East Gum for a short ways. We turned left on Cedar Grove Road for a short distance but I didn't get a shot of it for some reason.

Lytle Creek Road is our next right. It has more twists and turns than any of the other roads today, even more than Jacobs Road.

At the beginning of Lytle Creek Road is a small chuch. You can see part of the church's sign in this photo. It says, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." I think that's one of the best of all the Bible verses. I look for evidence in people as I go through my daily life and find more of it than you would believe. The AdvRider forum is a good example. I see people on here helping others all the time. When Mrs. Liberia and I made our bike trip from Boston to Murfreesboro we had two inmates offer us lodging and another offer his mechanical services if we needed it while near his house. Those are very neighborly things to do.

I mentioned earlier that our soil was not the best in the world. It's got a pretty heavy clay content (not always a bad thing) but you can tell by the color that there's not a lot of nutritional value in it. Typically the darker the soil the better. But, with the help of fertlizer, the farmers here do a pretty good job.

We turn right onto Wilson Overall Road which then immediately makes a 90 degree turn to the left. The rest of the way on this road is straight.

Wilson Overall Road brings us to Bradyville Highway which we've been on before. It comes out at Mount Herman Baptist Church (you may be getting the idea that there's a lot of churches in this area... you would be right).

We quickly turn right onto Ghee Road where we see a man mowing on his tractor and that the road ahead is mostly straight.

We take a left onto Veals Road for a short distance.

Then a right on Double Springs Road which is another straight stretch. There are soybeans along here as well but they are not quite ready for havest.

Finally we come out on John Bragg Highway (US-70s) which was named for our U.S. Representative becasue he secured the financing for the road. Isn't that convenient?

John Bragg takes us into Murfreesboro and past the Wal-Mart where, if they would just put a maternity ward on one side and a funeral home on the other, you could live your entire life without leaving.

I took this picture because the red brick two story building on the left is the home of Slick Pig Barbeque. They have the best smoked chicken wings that you have ever eaten. They get written up frequently in travel journals and made the Tennessee Crossroads TV show as well. It's a locally owned, family business.

Duplicating a mile or two of previously travelled roads, we end up back at the office. Here's a view from my office window. Nothing like looking out on true art throughout the day.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 7 - Backroads and river crossings

I left the office about 6pm today and traffic was pretty light. The beginning of the trip was much the same as a couple of others, leave the office, turn left onto US-231 then immediately right on US-41. The difference begins when we get about 2 miles out of town.

Take the 1st right onto Hillard St/S Maple St
Turn left at S Church St/US-231 Scenic N
Take the 1st right onto US-41 S/SE Broad St
Turn right at Elam Rd (new)
Turn right at Joe B Jackson Pkwy
Turn left at Elam Rd (new)
Turn right at East County Farm Rd (new)
Take the 1st left onto Rutherford County Farm Rd (new)
Turn left at Rucker Rd (new)
Turn right at Wayside Rd (new)
Turn right toward Woodfin Rd (new)
Turn right at Wayside Rd
Turn right at Christiana Hoovers Gap Rd/Hoover Gap Rd
Take the 1st left onto TN-269 E/Liberty Pike
Turn right at Fosterville Short Creek Rd

Elam Road is one of those old roads that lost some of its importance when the Interstate came through. Joe B. Jackson Parkway took even more of its importance away as it gave a 4 lane alternative to part of the route.

The nice thing is that it left a really pretty road with a lower level of traffic. Part of the road runs along the Stones River. Stones River is really more of a creek but it doesn't take much to be a river in Middle Tennessee. Most anything that holds water much of the time qualifies.

Part of the way down Elam Road it actually merges with Joe B. Parkway long enough to get over I-24.

This is the view looking east down I-24 toward Chattanooga. The traffic is typically much lighter once you get east of Murfreesboro. That is, unless it's Bonaroo week and then it's wall to wall.

Once you cross I-24 Elam Road continues southeast paralleling the interstate for a few miles. We'll turn off to the right after a mile or two.

Due to the abundance of rocks in the Middle Tennessee area it was quite common for farmers to build fences out of them to both keep the livestock in and to have something to do with the rocks.

When I was here in college in the late 70's there were hardly any wild turkeys to be found. But due to some restocking and conservation efforts there are plenty of turkeys to be found. It's not unusual to see 20 or more together feeding in a field. I passed these on the side of the road and had to go down a little way before I could turn around and come back for the picture. They were kind enough to hang around until I could snap the shot.

Just down the road I came across several peacocks in a field. Farmers will sometimes keep peacocks to help with insects and also to ward off some types of rodents. They can make a sound that is frequently mistaken for a person screaming.

We turned off Elam onto East County Farmer Road and immediately cross a one lane bridge. This one, like many small bridges that cross creeks and rivers in the area, has a sign warning not to cross when there is water across it. Due to the hilly terrain and heavy clay content in the soil, hard downpours can quickly result in flooding. Cars are swept away and people drown each year from trying to cross water covered roads and bridges. Even a few inches is enough to float a car and allow it to be washed downstream.

The roads continue to be in good condition and take us through some interesting areas where you can see more than just the car in front of or to the side of your bike.

We turn left onto Rucker Road and are on it for a short distance before we come to the other end of Wayside Road.

We've been on the opposite end of Wayside Road in an earlier route but not on this section.

Just as I'm turning off I spot three horses in the corner of the field so I stop for a minute to take a picture. They were interested in eating not having their picture taken. I whistled to try to get them to look up but no luck. Then a truck came up behind me so I had to go.

Haven't figured out what wives tale covers the moon being out when the sun is shining. If you know post it in a reply.

Just to add a new road to the route I turned right on Woodfin Road. I've never been on it before but it loops back into Wayside Drive a mile down the road. Just before turning back onto Wayside I pass this old farmhouse.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 8 - Following the tracks

Yesterday I had to take the truck in so that I could pickup our coop order. My wife buys a fair amount of our monthly food staples through a group of local people who purchase cooperatively (how do you think we afford all these motorcycles?). So no ride report from yesterday.

Today I worked from home until around noon so you'll notice few photos with shadows.

I chose to take the 2004 Ural Troyka in today. If I could only have one bike, the Ural would not be it. It's by far the funnest bike to ride and is a real conversation starter anywhere you stop but it's just not a practical bike when you need to get somewhere in a hurry or want to spend time in the twisties. When I first got the Ural a few months ago, it took a little getting used to. Turning left is a breeze as you have an outrigger there to hold you up but right turns are a little unsettling as you feel like the bike is going to turn over on you. I had gotten used to this and trusted the bike more in right hand turns but found out this morning that the real danger is when backing up to the right. I pulled it into the yard onto a level spot (not many of those around my house) to check the oil. When I was ready to leave I put it in reverse, cut the wheel hard, let out on the clutch and started backing to the right. It started backing up and the rear tire dug into the grass and the sidecar came way up into the air. I put my foot down and managed to get it stopped without turning it over but it was a pretty close call. I'll be more careful next time.... probably.

Directions for today:
Head west on Fosterville Short Creek Rd toward Liberty Gap Rd
Take the 1st right onto Fosterville Rd N
Slight right at Christiana Fosterville Rd/Old Fosterville Rd [new]
Continue onto Main St [new]
Turn right at Church St [new]
Take the 2nd left onto Johnson St [new]
Johnson St turns slightly right and becomes Lowe Johnson Rd [new]
Turn left at Rucker Christiana Rd [new]
Turn left at Rucker Rd [mostly new]
Turn right at TN-10 N/US-231 N/Shelbyville Pike/US-231 Scenic N
Turn left at Hillard St/S Maple St

The weather was beautiful today although a bit hot. We'll hit the upper 90's. But I like the hot weather better than cold. So, as great as fall is here in Middle Tennessee, I always dread it because cold is coming behind it. Here's the view from the top of our drive.

We take the same route into Fosterville as normal. I did want to show you a picture of the infamous railroad crossing however. Even the Postmaster used to recommend that people cross the tracks even if the lights were flashing because of the unusually long waits for trains here.

I've parked the Ural in front of the (now closed) post office in Fosterville. Fosterville Road turns to the left just ahead and goes out to US-231. But we'll be going straight which puts us on Fosterville - Christiana Road (remember I told you we were fairly practical when naming roads around here).

As with several of the roads I've taken you on in this thread, this one is pretty straight and in good condition. It does cross over the railroad tracks about half way down but other than that it's flat and straight.

I put this picture in just to show you what a beautiful day it is.

Well I'll be... a red barn.

Fosterville-Christiana Road comes out in (pregnant pause) Christiana. We'll go straight across on Main Street and then right onto Church Street at Miller's Grocery.

A few hundred yards down Church Street we turn left on Johnson Road. It's another nice, country road with some interesting sights along the way.

I'm not sure what this old building is. I would guess it is either the old school building or that it was a church in times gone by. I'll say its the old school just to take a firm stand on something today.

We leave Johnson Road at the Johnson Road Cemetery (see, our road naming skills carry over to cemeteries as well). And we'll turn left onto Rucker-Christiana Road (guess where this one goes).

Here's another church just waiting to be driven into by a careless driver. The 90 degree curve runs right up to the church's front door.

Before long we're at Rucker Road where we turn left and head toward US-231. Rucker is one of those very small communities like Fosterville except they never have had a post office. So I feel a little snobbish as I ride through here.

My brother- and sister-in-law used to live a street or two over from here in this small subdivision. All the streets in it have something to do with apples in their names.

After a mile or so we tee into US-231 where we'll turn right to go into Murfreesboro, cross I-24 and finally turn left onto Hillard Drive and the office. I dread going into the office as my friend there will inevidently ask me if I "brought the banner" with me. The Nashville Banner newspaper was an afternoon newspaper 30+ years ago and his father always asked him that if he was late coming into work.

When I was pulling up to US-231 I saw this car go by. So I rushed to catch up with him to take a picture or two. More proof that I'm not much of a moving photographer however when you see the shots. But it does say something about how slow he was driving since I was able to catch up with him before reaching town

No ride report tonight as we're gathering at church to put together food goods for our community distribution this Saturday. Middle Tennessee has been less hard hit by the economic downturn but we still have a lot of folks out of work and having trouble buying food for their families. So we're trying to do our part. I should be able to put up something new tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #24
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 9 - The west side of US-231

I planned to take the KLX 250s today but remembered that we have Bonhoeffer's tonight and that, with Mrs. Liberia in Toronto getting LiberiaDaughter2 settled in, I had to do the shopping for coffee, drink syrups, ice, etc. So I took the Ural again. It has a large trunck and all the room in the sidecar. Just like having a car (unless it rains).

The weather is beautiful again today and scheduled to be in the mid 90's. But with a T-shirt on it was actually just a touch cool on the ride in. By the way, I know people on here are big on being properly dressed for protection. I'm not quite that diligent but do always where a full face helmet.
ATGATT - Very rarely (not sure I have all the gear as chaps probably don't count)
MOTGSOTT - Frequently (Most of the Gear, Some of the Time)
ALGATT - Always (A Little Gear, All the Time)
NOTGAOTT - Never (None of the Gear, Any of the Time)

Today I'm going in pretty close to on time and on almost entirely new roads. The only repeat is going through Fosterville out to US-231 and maybe a tenth of a mile on US-231 itself. For the first time I'm moving to the west side of US-231 and will likely have a few routes that way. I'm shooting for 15 total routes but that might be stretching things a little. We'll see.

Turn right at TN-10 N/US-231 N/Shelbyville Pike
Take the 1st left onto Midland Fosterville Rd [new]
Turn right at Midland Crescent [new]
Continue onto Midland Rd [new]
Continue straight onto TN-269 W/Armstrong Valley Rd [new]
Turn right at TN-99 E/Salem Pike [new]
Turn right at Industrial Dr [new]
Turn left at Old Salem Hwy [new]
Turn right at W Castle St [new]
Take the 1st right onto S Walnut St [new]
Turn left at Hillard Dr

After reaching US-231 we travel a very short distance and turn left onto Midland-Fosterville Road (I wonder where this road could go...)

Maybe 2 miles later we see Lebanon Campground Church which is pastored by a friend of mine. We've known each other since 1990 and have worked together at my consulting business since 1998.

Soon we're at the crossroads and the Midland Market is across the street on the left. Many of the small communities used to have their own little market that sold gas, basic groceries, chewing tobacco and other necessities. Many of them are gone now, driven out of business by the larger and better stocked stores in town. The advent of communting long distances to work really changed small community life in the country.

This same crossroads is where we will turn right onto Midland Road. We'll be on this road and Armstrong Valley Road for the majority of our time.

Like many of the roads we've travelled so far, Midland Road is in good condition, fairly straight and goes through some very pretty countryside. There are a number of small housing developments along the way so there's the potential for more traffic heading into Murfreesboro. But it's a little after 8:00am and most people are already at work by now.

Here's a nice looking log and wood siding house. You can't always tell how old these are as it's popular to build brand new homes designed to look old. I guess that's kind of like buying jeans that are already faded and have holes in the knees. I never did understand that either.

You're also prone to run into small churches seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder where the people come from. My Florida brother and I were in Liberia, West Africa one time out in the remote bush country where we were participating in a 3 day church leader training conference. It was 200 miles from the capital city of Monrovia where we flew into and took 20 hours to drive! The roads were dirt and had not had any maintenance for almost 10 years due to a civil war that had been raging. The only structures we passed were mud huts and an occassional burned out concrete building. I would have bet you there weren't 100 people within 50 miles of the little village we stayed in. But on the first day of the conference over 800 church leaders showed up. The met 3 times per day for 3 days in 100 degree heat and slept on the ground. Some walked 2 days to get there. I don't think people do that here:-)

Somewhere along here you cross over a road and the name of Midland Road changes to Armstrong Valley Road. It will stay that name until we reach Salem Pike. By the way, although there was very little traffic on the way in, I always seemed to have a car behind me when I saw something interesting to photograph. So I missed several photos that I wanted to take. Including some really nice red barns.

When I first approached this field of harvested corn, there were probably 100 crows sitting in it. By the time I got stopped and got the Ural into neutral (no mean task) they were all in the air. So it wasn't the shot I wanted but is better than nothing. I also saw several squirrels on the way in but could never get their pictures.

You probably don't see these road signs in New York City, Los Angeles or Seattle. However, Mrs. Liberia and I drove north from San Francisco several years ago on California 1 and were surprised and amused to see cattle gaps (steel grates in the roadway to prevent cattle from cross but allowing cars to proceed at normal speeds).

Eventually we come to Salem Pike (Hwy 99, which we've travelled on the other side of Murfreesboro). This used to be a sleepy little road but development made it's way out this direction from Murfreesboro and it's now a 4 lane highway. I started to take a picture of the intersection and, doggone it, my camera batteries died. I knew there was something I was supposed to do last night. The balance of the trip was on Salem Pike into Murfreesboro and then a couple of turns through a light industrial area before reaching the office. So you got to see the most interesting part of the route unless you really like 4 lanes and light industrial parks.

Tonight is Bonhoeffer's and it will be after midnight before I leave for home. So not ride report from tonight. I drove home on the Ural last night in the dark and used the auxillary lights on the sidecar along with the regular headlight on dim. It really fills in the area just in front of the bike so that you can see the roadway much better. The downside is that these lights use a lot of battery power. So you need to be moving when you're running them for long.

Since I didn't take as many photos today, I'll put a few pictures of the Ural in for filler.

Here he is (I understand that Russians refer to cars, ships, etc. as "he" where we usually say "she"). Although a prior owner put some wolf dream catcher decals on it, I still think the color scheme is pretty neat.

A front view.

The side car is really spacious and has a large trunk as well. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg room inside.

Here's a rear view showing a well done trailer hitch that was added by the prior owner. Not sure if it has ever pulled anything but does provide options for the "take everything including the kitchen sink" type traveller.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 10 - More turkeys, silos and... red barns

As I mentioned in yesterday mornings installment, we had Bonhoeffer's last night (www.bonhoeffers.us) so I drove home in the dark at about midnight. I left my laptop and camera (with dead batteries) in the office so I did not have anything to take pictures of on the way in this morning. But I charged the camera batteries using my computer today and was ready to record the ride home.

Yesterday I rode the Ural in and received a call after arriving that a guy that wanted to buy the V-Strom (shown on an earlier route) had things set with his bank and had to close around 2:00pm. So I called LiberiaSon and had him bring the V-Strom in to the office. We did the deal and, as partial payment, we received a 1993 Honda ST1100. It was in good shape with 33k miles and practically new tires. These were pretty cutting edge in their time and this one has ABS and traction control. It has a few scuff and scratches on the tank and bags but looks good. LiberiaSon rode it home and I kept the Ural so that I could run errands, pick up stuff from the grocery store, etc.

So this morning I rode the ST1100 in to work taking the shortest distance (Route 1). Upon leaving this afternoon I was looking forward to riding it home. The route (number 10 so far) takes us back out the west side of US-231 through the small communities of Rockvale, Versailles, Midland and a few others that didn't even have signs.

Head north on S Walnut St toward Hillard St/S Maple St
Turn left at W Castle St
Take the 1st left onto Old Salem Hwy
Turn right at Middle Tennessee Blvd
Turn left at TN-99 W/New Salem Rd [half new]
Turn left at Rockvale Rd [new]
Take the 1st left onto Versailles Rd [new]
Turn left at TN-269 E/Versailles Rd [new]
Take the 1st right onto Versailles Rd [new]
Continue onto Longview Rd/Longview Pike [new]
Continue to follow Longview Rd [new]
Turn left at Kingdom Rd [new]
Continue onto Midland Fosterville Rd [half new]
Turn left to stay on Midland Fosterville Rd
Turn right at Campground Rd [new]
Take the 1st left to stay on Campground Rd [new]
Continue onto Fosterville Rd N
Turn left to stay on Fosterville Rd N
Continue onto Fosterville Short Creek Rd

One of the benefits of my office is the ability to look out the window and see great things like the motorcycle that I rode in on. Here's the ST1100.

On Industrial Blvd is Wallboard & Supply. When we were building our house 7 years ago, we got most of our drywall and related supplies here.

Although you haven't seen too much traffic during these rides, I did hit some at Middle Tennessee Blvd. and Salem Pike. Mostly because I left about 15 minutes before 5pm today. I think a lot of people must get off work at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Just across the street from where the previous picture was taken is Heritage Farms Dairy. Many years ago it used to be an actual dairy. Now they buy and process milk from area diary farmers. There's not as much money in milk product these days and the small diary farmers (100 cows or so) are about gone.

Just a picture to show you another beautiful day in Middle Tennessee. It was in the mid- 90's again today but a great day to be on a motorcycle. To show you how the weather changes, it's supposed to rain in the next couple of days and we're not supposed to get above the 70's next week. That's too cold for me. It really doesn't matter though as I leave for Tucson, AZ in the morning at 6:30.

Once on Salem Pike we find a typical Tennessee highway.

But the home growth in this area is really fairly recent as these old barns along the highway testify.

I turned off Salem Pike a little earlier than I had planned so that I could give you a tour through downtown Rockvale. That didn't take long.

We turn left on Versailles which is also Highway 269 at this point and Concord Road as well. Quite confusing but not for the people who live around here. And not too many other people drive through here.

Gentlemen farmers like red barns as well, even if they are new and small.

Much of our route today will include double "S" curves, low hills and sweeps. But this is one straight looking road.

Just a picture of a nice field because I thought it was pretty.

The real Versailles Road. At this point no longer shared with any other road.

A silo picture for you.

A mostly straight road.

We take a left onto Kingdom Road. It's going to turn into Midland-Fosterville Road at some point but I've never been able to figure out exactly where this happens.

A red barn, a concrete silo and a metal silo. Don't say I don't offer up the whole enchilada for AdvRiders.

You run across a lot of these old houses that are simply falling apart. I guess the cost to modernize them was higher than the price of building a new one.

We come out (from the other side) at the intersection of Midland-Fosterville Road and Midland Road. We were here briefly yesterday.

Back at the Lebanon Campground Church that my friend pastors. We're turning beside it onto Campground Road (thus the Campground in the church name).

I caught sight of these turkeys as I passed them by and had to turn around to come back for a shot (photo). They were good to stay around long enough for me to do so.

In keeping with the chopped up way many of these roads evolved, you have to turn off of Campground Road to stay on Campground Road.

Some contented cows.

And we're back at US-231. Straight across is Fosterville Road which we've been on many times. Almost home.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Gone for a week

I leave for Tucson, AZ in the morning and from there to New Hampshire. So I'll be away until next Friday. Home to find a few more routes into work before giving up.

Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, today's route was 29 miles. But I did give myself the option of breaking the rules once in a while.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Route 11 - A long way around

It's been over a week since the last ride report. I left last Saturday a week ago for Tucson and then from there to Nashua, NH. Last Friday I needed to bring the truck in so no report for that day. While I was gone we moved from temperatures in the mid 90's to highs in the 60's. Yesterday (Monday) is was overcast and cold so I worked from home rather than go into the office. This morning it was in the 40's when I left and that's a little cold for me. Couldn't find my gloves either. Bummer.

I set a few conditions on the commutes and am breaking one this morning. My self imposed limit was 25 miles but todays ride will be 29. Oh well, several of these roads are new to me and I just needed the extra time to unwind before work starts. Most of today's ride is new roads. I hope you enjoy it.

Turn left at Brothers Rd
Turn left at TN-10 S/TN-10 Scenic S/US-231 S/Florida Short Route/US-231 Scenic S
Take the 1st right onto Squire Hall Rd
Turn right at Midland Rd
Continue onto Midland Crescent
Turn left at Williams Rd
Turn right at Threet Rd
Slight right at Link Rd
Turn right at TN-269 E/Panther Creek Rd
Take the 1st left onto Hutson Rd
Turn right at Whitus Rd
Continue onto Harrison Rd
Turn right to stay on Harrison Rd
Slight left at Barfield Crescent Rd
Continue straight onto Barfield Rd
Turn right at Eagleville Pike/New Salem Rd/Salem Pike
Turn right at Middle Tennessee Blvd
Turn left at Old Salem Hwy
Turn right at W Castle St
Take the 1st right onto S Walnut St
217 Hillard Dr

I usually leave for work around 7am or so but work has been very slow lately and my first conference call was at 10am. So I didn't leave home until 8:30. It was in the low 40's when I left and I'm not much on riding in cold weather. I always dread the approach of fall in Tennessee even though it's the most beautiful time of the year. All I can think about is that it will soon be cold. It was beautiful when I left.

From the top of the driveway. Another nice morning. A little haze in the distance so there must be some humidity lurking around.

I wish you would look. Leave for a week and someone starts a new house in the neighborhood.

This morning we're turning left at the Fosterville Post Office instead of right. I can't recall if we've been out this way yet and don't think we have. It actually takes us away from Murfreesboro but I'm going to head south on US-231 for a half mile or so anyway.

Around another corner and another new house under construction. This one's on Brothers Road so I guess it's okay. Still, it's less than 2 miles from my house and all these new homes are starting to crowd me a little.

So we continue on Brothers Road until we come to US-231. Instead of turning right toward Murfreesboro, we're going to turn left toward Shelbyville for a half mile or so until we come to Squire Hall Road.

Along the way we pass Woodfin Cemetery. Bubba Woodfin owns one of only 4 funeral homes in our county. For years there were just 3 and everybody made a good living with each having their own set of customers. Competetion is changing things a little I understand. I think Bubba's family is from this area.

Along Squire Hall Road is one of the many rock quarries in Rutherford county. It's getting harder and harder to open a new quarry due to the counties continuous growth and the fact that neighbors don't like cracks showing up in their walls from the blasting at the quarries. Since the rock that the quarry is shooting is connected to the one that its neighbors' houses are resting on, cracks happen.

We're turning right on a familiar road but we've not been on this part before. It's Midland Road. It's kind of funny that most of these roads only have signs for one of the roads and not both. So here you know you're on Squire Hall Road but not that you're turning onto Midland Road. Not sure why we do it this way. There's also a lot of road signs missing due to being stolen by kids and adults who act like kids. The mayor of one Tennessee town said that they were going to change the names of streets to unattractive names so that people would stop stealing the signs. That doesn't really sound like much of a plan to me.

Along the way we find... a red barn.

And we also find a small herd of Charolais cattle grazing along the roadside.

The Charolais originated in west-central to southeastern France, in the old French provinces of Charolles and neighboring Nievre. The exact origins of the Charolais are lost to us but it must have been developed from cattle found in the area. Legend has it that white cattle were first noticed in the region as early as 878 A.D., and by the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries were well and favorably known in French markets, especially at Lyon and Villefranche. Selection developed a white breed of cattle which, like other cattle of continental Europe, were used for draft, milk and meat.

Just up the road we come to another... red barn. But this one is only partly red. I'm not sure if he ran out of paint or just added on without painting. I see this more than you would think.

Growing up in Florida I seldom saw sheep. Not sure why but there just weren't many (any) around the northern part of Florida where I came from. (Yes I know you're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition. But we do that where I'm from.) When I moved to Tennessee back in the late 70's, I began to see a lot of sheep. These have just been shorn (had their wool cut off).

I had to switch to the reserve on the Ural somewhere along here so I stopped at the Midland Market for fuel. I notice that they have all you can eat catfish on Friday nights. I don't eat catfish anymore (no fish without scales) but it still sounds good. These little markets usually have a small kitchen in them and fix breakfast biscuits, lunch sandwiches, fried chicken, etc. Whatever it takes to stay in business.

While I'm at the getting gas, the county road crew stops by to comment on the Ural. People really like these things. One of the most frequent questions is, "How old is that thing?" They're usually surprised when I tell them it's a 2004. Of course, since they really haven't change the designe since the end of WWII I guess it does seem a lot older. After we chat, the mower guy heads off to work.

Once we leave Midland Market we're on a short part of Midland Road that we've been on before. Then we come to Williams Road where we take a left. This is all new territory.

The sign on this end of Threet Road is missing. But it has to be the right road so we make the turn.

Yep, when we get to the other end there's a Threet Road sign. We turn left to stay on Threet for a little while longer.

Soon it's a right onto Link Road.

We make a left on Hutson Road. I used to have a burial vault manufacturing plant and we had a semi-truck driver named Bubba Hutson. As my mother-in-law said when she made her first visit to Tennessee to watch our young son play softball, "Is every second child born here named Bubba?" I'd say it's closer to 1 in 4.

Hutson Road turns out to have some nice curves. They are nice on a motorcycle but with a sidecar the fun is certainly reduced.

Harvest time is about over. There's still some soybean and cotton to pick but the corn is mostly gone.

Another old home. Still lived in but definitely going down.

Some nice pastureland.

Time to turn onto Harrison Road. Some younger friends of ours have a 1 year old son named Harrison. He's a great little boy but is a chunk to hold for long. Maybe it's that my back is getting old along with the rest of my body.

This cotton field has the highest weeds that I think I've seen in one. Not sure how the harvesting will go with weeds that high.

Now onto Barfield-Cresent Road which is now a major road into Murfreesboro. A lot of houses have been build along here. I guess that's good but I hate to see so much farmland gone. Once a farm is turned into houses it will never be a farm again.

Horsefarms are pretty big in this part of the country. I enjoyed horses as a boy but they're really pretty useless around here. To many fences to be able to ride them except for along the roadways, which isn't too safe.

Coming up on Barfield Road. The Crecent portion keeps going to the right. We'll take a left by Barfield Baptist Church.

We've had just enough cool weather for a few of the trees to begin to turn. It's probably a couple of weeks before anything serious gets started. The maple trees are the prettiest to me. Bright reds, yellows and oranges.

The City of Murfreesboro built this new water tower a few years ago. It always looks strange to me as I'm used to the old style that have straight sides and a domed top.

Finally we're back to Hwy 99, Salem Pike. The rest you've seen before. Not sure if I'll take a different route home tonight or just keep it simple.

I'm not sure if I reset the odometer on the Ural last time I filled up but, if I did, I only got 32 mpg on this tank. Of course I have done a lot of stop and start while taking pictures.