Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #3511
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
somehow this got into the next day's folder.
I know you're going to pay for that video somehow. I'm just not sure how Francine makes you pay. I'm sure it's something you never see coming...

Old 10-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #3512
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:

tried to make a campfire, but the wood was too wet, and there wasn't any dry kindling either.
how to light a fire in the rain or with wet wood.

dig a hole in the bottom of your fire pit about 6 inches deep. cut the lid off a can (beer cans work good) and bury the empty can to the top in your hole. fill the can with gas. build you tepee over the can of gas. light the can. it will burn like a sterno for about 20 minutes. by then your fire should be burning
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3513
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
somehow this got into the next day's folder. Turns out we did get an anemic fire started for a bit.

I can't believe I let you film the shit that you post. That one had me rolling

LDF
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #3514
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata

LDF
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #3515
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata

LDF
Me too!

John
Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #3516
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Y'know, Doc always talks about LDF's fear of bears. Yet whether they are riding or walking, she is always the one out front. Hmmmmmm, I wonder... Maybe he's the skeered one?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3517
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 8, Friday, August 13th (!) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
...I wonder... Maybe he's the skeered one?
Damn straight I'm scared! You would be too if you woke up in the morning and your shoes were tied together.

Don't worry... I get my revenge.

Big day: Engineer Creek to Inuvik. A little bit of everything.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #3518
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,224
Quote:
¨Don't worry... I get my revenge.
LOL!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #3519
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before leaving Engineer Creek

we'd met the scary inhabitant of the creepy camper that was sharing the campground with us. Scary Mary , a sweet lady with grown kids who worried about her, driving up from British Columbia to explore the northern hinterlands with her pet parakeets.

She was almost as scary as Tim Fitzgerald in Nova Scotia (scroll to the bottom of the day for the scoop).

Anyway, it was a lovely morning on the Dempster,

Who'd have thunk those innocent looking clouds could spawn...

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #3520
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We climbed

out of the Ogilvie River valley, and got a good look at it:

Talk about feeling like a speck.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #3521
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More espresso shacks

and the real-time story of Scary Mary:

Water below and water above,

Neither too bothersome at this point. The rain from the night before had filled the potholes, and the clouds were still keeping it in.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #3522
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fire

Fire weed:

Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #3523
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before long

we were rolling into Eagle Plains, and it was as if it was a completely different day than the one we woke up to.

Cold, windy, bleak.

The fuel is stored above ground or it'd sink into the permafrost.

they have drinking water, fresh out of the truck,

and mementos of other traveler's misery hanging on the wall,

We filled all our various tanks and vessels with the cumbustible liquid, and rolled on out.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #3524
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving Eagle Plains

Heading towards the Arctic Circle. We still had 230 miles or so to Inuvik. The weather was turning sour, and we had this distinct sense that each mile we pushed further north, was another mile further from civilization. We'd never really been in this remote an area, still traveling further away... Crossing the Great Basin, for example, we'd ride away from civilization, and then gradually transition to ride towards it at the next gas stop. Inuvik wasn't giving us the same sort of vibe. This Mobius leg, was somehow different.

We met PoppaWheelie, and chatted a bit. He sounded frustrated and discouraged.

It was interesting for us to read a different version of the Dempster experience from his perspective. It was heartening to meet a fellow ADV'er, (and have our picture taken together)

but at the same time, when we left him, we were a little freaked out at how rattled by the conditions he had seemed. Clearly he was a capable rider on a capable bike. We rode on, waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #3525
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We motored on

There were some nice breaks in the clouds,

but between the earth and the sky,

we were feeling a little cold , neglected ,

unloved , and apprehensive .

...at least I was.