Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
TerraNovaExpedition pt 2 aka broken bike tour

In July 2009 my friend Tim Dzaman and I left Calgary, Alberta, Canada on a RTW bike trip. What was really cool about this trip (to me anyway) was that it was spur of the moment (about 2 months prep) and at the time we decided to go I didn't have a bike and in fact hadn't even ridden in almost 10yrs. Also, the recession hadn't been very good to my industry (construction) and I was essentially unemployed and had basically no money. However, as the saying goes, "Where's a will, there's a way". I picked up a job as a bouncer evenings and weekends (and almost lost the sight in my right eye in the process), sold basically everything I owned, got a renter in my house and financed a 2009 F800GS. It was the best decision I ever made. The following 4 months were amazing and has totally changed my life. The trip lasted 118 days, wound through 19 countries over a distance of 30,000km.

Tim and I took over 10,000 photos and recorded over 300hrs of HD video for production of an upcoming DVD of the trip.

Here's a short, not yet complete trailer:

Terranova Expedition Trailer

During the trip we started talking about where we wanted to go for the next adventure. The obvious choices were Mexico, Central and South America or Africa. After much debate we decided to head south.

So on Oct 17th, we start all over again. Leaving Calgary we will head west to Vancouver then down the west coast to San Diego, across the border to Tijuana, down Baja then across to Mazatlan via ferry from La Paz. From there we're just going to wing it. We are undecided about flying or floating around the Darien Gap. Once in South America, we'll head down the west coast to TDF before heading up the east side through Brazil. We may ride all the way home or we may ship the bikes from Bogota and fly home. Tim's pretty flexible on his return date but I need to be back for early April.

I'll do my best to keep this RR up to date and interesting. We'll have a SPOT tracker with us and our progress can be followed at www.terranovaexpedition.ca

We also have a facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TerraN...7666433?ref=ts

The original Terranovaexpediton RR (uncompleted, my fault) is located here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471982

My bike build thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598108

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 05:29 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote