with Blue Mountains Ulysses
Everyone is welcome to join us for the ride

Meet: Blaxland McDonalds, GWH, BLAXLAND, NSW for a 9.00am Start
Ride Leader: Eric B
Ride Report, Photos, Map: Eric and Franz

Wednesday, 6th October 2010

Destination:
Kiama NSW

The weather forecast for today was 16C to a possible 25C with a chance in the west of a possible late shower but this report was very conflicting as I had heard on the radio it would be showers for most of the day. I awoke at 6.00am and looked out the window and the roads were dry but it had rained through the night so I decided to take the gamble making lunch, filling my old thermos, thinking it might rain, I didn't even pack my camera also I forgot to pack my wet weather gear.

I left home and 8.00am and heading up the M4 to Blaxland. The road was reasonably wet when I was heading up Lapstone Hill, it was also quite misty but it was not raining. Arriving at McDonalds at about 8.15am there were already a few riders there. Looking skyward it was still covered in fairly thick cloud, there were no blue patches of sky anywhere. I suggested we could go for a ride to Kiama, everyone was in agreement with this. Allen R had his wet weather gear on expecting us to get some rain. I said to him, were not going to get any rain. This will all clear up we will have a great day, then I received a phone call from Peter M just before we were about to leave telling me that he may not come because of the weather, enquiring as to where we were riding, I informed him, then he said if the weather started to clear he would meet us at Bargo where we would stop for morning tea.

We left at 9.00am. I would lead the ride followed by Gary B, Allen R, David E, Tom L, John McC, David C would be tail end charlie. We were heading down Lapstone Hill but before we had gotten to the first set of traffic lights it started to rain. I said to myself, you cannot get your Harley wet today, how could you forget your wet weather gear, DAA, pretty dumb so if you get wet you will just have to put up with it. It actually got a little bit heavier as we were heading down the pass. By the time we had got to the turnoff at Mulgoa Road it had stopped but the roads were wet as we continued on out towards Silverdale. When we got to Wallacia, Rod B was waiting for us so he would join in the ride. The roads were quite wet at Silverdale, as we had just missed a real heavy shower but as we continued on out towards The Oaks the roads were dry, it was difficult to see which way the clouds were moving but there were a few patches of blue sky so I thought to myself maybe I am right it will stay fine for today. We would head down through Thirlmere making our way around the back roads to the Old Hume Highway where we would stop at Bargo for morning tea. It was quite dry here, while having morning tea the sun was actually warming us. I rang Peter M at home to see if he had left, his wife informed me that he had and he was going to meet us at Bargo. I suppose we would have waited 20 minutes then Peter did arrive, thanking us for waiting.

We would then make our way along the Old Hume Highway to Alpine we would turn left onto the Old South Road down past the private airstrip making our way into Robertson where we would stop for a few moments while whoever wanted to would buy pies. There were four people that would buy pies even though some of them already had their lunch, they reckoned that these pies are too good to pass, I also took particular notice of who had done this so I could inform their wives not to make them lunch next time. So we left with hot pies in the panniers, by the time these pies got to Kiama there were a couple of them that had vibrated around a little bit in the panniers, they looked like mince pies so Rod B took the option of eating his with a spoon. Winding our way down Jamberoo Mountain Road there was a really thick fog at the top of the mountain, it did clear on the way down to a fine sunny day at Kiama where we would stop for lunch at the beach, behind the surf club. It was approximately 12.30pm when we arrived here. We sat in one of the shelters to have our lunch, it was quite sunny, we did not stay here long, there were people swimming as well as heaps of tourists in the main shopping center.

We would go back a slightly different way to the way we came, making our way back along Jamberoo Mountain Road we would stop for fuel, then continue on to Albion Park then turn left heading up Macquarie Pass. We were all very careful coming up the hill, as it was wet slippery, better to be slow and safe. We turned off at Tourist Drive and heading around the back roads again where we would go past the airstrip then back onto the Old Hume Highway making our way to Picton where we would stop for afternoon tea. We sat in the sun at the little rest area called Red Bank Reserve.

Then after afternoon tea we would say goodbyes, heading back up to The Oaks, along the Thirlmere Way, then back to Wallacia. I would wave goodbye here heading around the back roads of St Marys, making my way home. Arriving at approximately 4.45pm after having done 380km for the day's ride. Everyone had a really great day, the weather turned out fantastic, no one got wet although we did get a little bit damp early in the morning, as a matter of fact I had to take some clothing off as it was too hot to ride home.
I unpacked my bike and chamoied all the water marks off my bike, it did not even get dirty. Someone mentioned that if you got a Harley wet that it shrinks then turns into a Pee Wee.

So until next week stay well ride safe
Regards Eric B.