Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy
The owner of the dealership could have called my Momma a nasty name, I still would have bought what I wanted, the price was right!

Seriously, take your business where it is appreciated.
Here's the story. I was on the fence between the KTM 690 Enduro and the Husky TE630. All things being equal, I actually preferred the Husky (looks, gearing, price, etc).

The problem was, there are no Husky dealers within about 400 miles of me. There's a KTM dealer 10 minutes from where I work. I'd prefer to buy locally, in case there are any warranty issues. I do my own wrenching, but anything can happen.

I called the KTM dealer, who basically said "Eh, we don't carry THAT model. Go to dealer X; they're just another 350 miles down the road."

Well, 350 files might as well be 450 miles, which is precisely how far away the nearest well-known Husky dealer was, Hall's Cycles. So, I sent them an email. I even called Husky directly to voice my warranty concerns, not having a dealership nearby. To make a long story short, Hall's shipped me a TE630 and I was the first kid on my block to get one!

If the local KTM dealer didn't blow me off like they did, I'd be riding the 690 right now instead.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Welcome to the club. I got a KTM (mine is well used, though) earlier this year and I am loving it. All of the things that you find to be uncomfortable on it are just because it prefers the dirt to the pavement. I am definitely interested to here what you think of the 690 LC4. Congrats.
Shiveley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 447
Nice bike!

I was looking at the photos and said to myself: Damn those places look familiar!

Grew up with Clough in my backyard, rode there a bazillion times!
690 Must of been a hoot on the pit off of stark pond loop!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampWoodsRider
Nice bike!

I was looking at the photos and said to myself: Damn those places look familiar!

Grew up with Clough in my backyard, rode there a bazillion times!
690 Must of been a hoot on the pit off of stark pond loop!
I spent a little time in "the pit". The 690 just sucks up the bumps under full throttle. Next thing you know you are going at a crazy fast speed and gotta hit the binders before you run into the forest on the other side.
Being new to dirt bikes of the 690's stature requires the novice, me, to be prudent in the application of throttle, brakes and steering inputs.

I gotta go back and get some more of that place !
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
690 be good.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Journey Continues

Well what can I say, been having fun on the 690. It has taken many naps but I am quick to get it up. (If no one sees it napping, it never really happened)
Which brings me to the first photo. Trailered Katie M down to Ashville, NC for a few days on the BRP with a couple other FFs.

Tired and rushed to get the bike out of the PU, nap time in back of truck. Karate Chop from the rail of truck to radiator cap...almost decapitated the filler neck.
Bummer, quick trip to Home Depot for some JB Weld.

Next AM is repair time. As it is raining Katie M comes into the Hotel room for repairs.
Inside

Outside

As we didnt ride this day we went to a Football game an hour away. As luck would have it my nephews team won the game. He ran a fumble back 60 yards for a TD. Woo Hoo. Go Tusculum The score at half time.

The sun rose, the clouds parted, the roads dried and the temps rose. Time to ride. The BRP and nearby roads paved and unpaved provided thrills and smiles.

Had fun in NC and made the return trip to NH uneventfully.

Clough Park today.

Took a new way out of the area and found some Class VI roads. One led to this sign

Apparently these guys manage forest land. They seem to care not if you drive on their roads. Searching for all their properties.

OhBoy screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 06:30 AM
Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Not hijacking Bro, just supplementing...

OhBoy enjoying the scenery at a short construction delay... Did he mention it was a Beautiful Day???

Giving me the AdvRider salute on the BRP.

Great riding!!

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #23
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy
Stalled it on a slight up hill, road dropped off to the left, left foot trying to stand on air, down we go...small scratch on hand guard.
Congratulations !!
And get used to that. I personally like to think it adds to the fun, and I call them Battle Scars. My bike's a big pig compared to your sweet ride, so I have quite a few scars. I gotta learn to stop going slow, it does fine when I go fast enough. But I'm willing to fall while I learn off-road, and my bike seems willing enough, so....good to go !!

Sure would like your Orange bike next to mine, though. Or a 530?. The forest calls me a WHOLE lot more than I thought it would when I bought my pig.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Been riding a bit, taken a few photos, the 690 has taken a few more naps, met some nice land owners and have 1400 miles on the KTM after todays 200 mile day. Really looking forward to a cushier seat.

A few days back spotted a place on the map called Forest Pond Road. It looked like it ended near a large area on the map that showed no roads. Near the end of the road I encountered an elderly gentleman on an ATV and stopped to ask him about the road. He was old, soon his daughter? came out and she told me about a neighbor who had her son arrested for trespassing, Warning taken. She said the class VI road we were standing on was her property. In Canterbury abutters own to the center of the road if given back to them by the govt. She was admiring my KTM and told me where there were some snowmobile trails that went miles, and they did.

Next day went on a mission to find dirt roads in the Francis Town New Sanborton Rds area...mission accomplished. Found power lines, lots of dirt roads, marked trails in the woods, wild turkeys and discovered that my Nuvi 1450 has some low standards for what it calls a road.

Today slabbed it up to Wentworth in search of dirt roads, very easy to succeed. Gotta start setting my standards higher. Once again met a property owner. Actually after turning onto a dirt road there were No Trespassing signs everywhere. So I turn around in a wide spot (this is a one lane road), not so successfully, nap time. I am just standing her up when this guy comes aound the corner with an attitude. Apparently others have been ATVing in his field adjacent to where I was picking up my bike. I explained that on seeing all his signs that I failed the U-turn. Now he is laughing. He then explains it is a public road, enjoy.
The view from his farm

And the road

Now I start heading home, south to Plymouth Hwy 25. Then Hwy 3. Just south of Ashland started dirt roading again and found paradise. Took Huckleberry Rd... got back onto 132... then the GPS said there was a road, I turned in and it looked like someones driveway. I stopped, there was a women 100 ft away, turned off the bike and said, Hi. She said she had moved there for peace and quiet and was upset that the township had changed the status of the class VI road. Said she was tired of ATVs blasting past her house and she thought it was thoughtfull that I stopped to ask if it was alright to pass. She even offered advise on where the trails were. So I roosted her I'm off....
About this time the battery on my GPS quit so I dont have much in the way of tracks. There were abundant trails and some were gnarly bolderfests and on the way out scenic roads.

Thats all for now.

OhBoy screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 06:28 AM
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam
Congratulations !!
And get used to that. I personally like to think it adds to the fun, and I call them Battle Scars. My bike's a big pig compared to your sweet ride, so I have quite a few scars. I gotta learn to stop going slow, it does fine when I go fast enough. But I'm willing to fall while I learn off-road, and my bike seems willing enough, so....good to go !!

Sure would like your Orange bike next to mine, though. Or a 530?. The forest calls me a WHOLE lot more than I thought it would when I bought my pig.
Yeah, my new bike is starting to show some scars, mostly on the grip guards. This bike is tall, because it has a long suspension and lots of ground clearance, the center of gravity is high. When she starts going over you gotta catch it fast or momentum will win.
And the KTM takes naps.

OhBoy screwed with this post 09-25-2010 at 06:25 PM
Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
690's rule, I am waiting for the 690 "adventure" to replace the discontinued 640. hurry up KTM!

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,845
Be careful 'catching it' when it starts to tip. That can put lots of pressure on knees, which can then blow out. Better to drop the bike than blow out a knee.

Uturns in the country are easy with a little rear wheel slippage. Lean the bike way over with your foot planted. Twist the grip and let the rear spin around. The more 'on edge' the rear tire is, the easier it will spin around.

On the seat......

I bought a husky TE450 this spring and the seat is very similiar to the seats on the KTMs that I have had. I scored a Renazco seat in the FM and I am absolutely tickled with it. Narrow up front for easy standing and gripping with legs, wide in the back for good butt support.

I've had it out on a couple of rides with the new seat and can see why they are such a popular farkle.

Tom B
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
Be careful 'catching it' when it starts to tip. That can put lots of pressure on knees, which can then blow out. Better to drop the bike than blow out a knee.

Uturns in the country are easy with a little rear wheel slippage. Lean the bike way over with your foot planted. Twist the grip and let the rear spin around. The more 'on edge' the rear tire is, the easier it will spin around.

On the seat......

I bought a husky TE450 this spring and the seat is very similiar to the seats on the KTMs that I have had. I scored a Renazco seat in the FM and I am absolutely tickled with it. Narrow up front for easy standing and gripping with legs, wide in the back for good butt support.

I've had it out on a couple of rides with the new seat and can see why they are such a popular farkle.

Tom B
Yeah the knees...one is sore for the reasons you say. I try to protect the bike by slowing it down, but that means my shoulder ends up taking some of the impact. As you say..just let it go. Sure wish there was more protection on the side of the bike! Got some ideas on that issue... slider bars?
I have been working on the u-turn technique. Just like a kid, slide in with the rear locked up then spin it around with the throttle. The theory is good, working on making it one smooth motion.
Seat Concepts has shipped the cure for the saddle sores.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
OhBoy OP
Got Out

Great daytrip today of 130 miles. 33/33/33 blacktop/dirt road /trail. Done in an area loosely bounded by Hillsborough to the south, Hwy 114 on the east, around Sunapee at the north end and around Pillsbury State Park on the west.

A couple of guys from DOT said were inspecting this bridge, it appeared to me they were inspecting the KTM.

Found another water feature, to go not to go?

I went almost half way across the second section then the bottom disappeared into the murky water and my front tire submerged. Knowing the snokel was close to getting soaked and having no idea of what rocks might be lurking beneath the gloom... I chickened out. Got off in thigh deep water and turned around. Took this pic when able to get the stand down. edit (In hind sight, once wet, should have inspected the crossing on foot. Oh well, next time)

Found a place to dry out. Pour the water out of the boots, wring out the socks and foot inserts, and shed a layer of wet clothing.

Around Sunapee are a few roads with the name Mountain in them. Cool one lane roads I think mostly for snowmobile use. No signage to warn me off. Plus my funky GPS said they were roads.Yahoo.. Got lots more shots like this.

On the way home, your gratuitous fall shot.

Gotta go to a High School football game, wiffy is tappy her toe.

OhBoy screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 03:20 AM
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #30
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 111
Beautiful pics!

Just got my 2nd 690R... need to ride her in too