User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
FakeName OP
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Love this Motoport Suit!

First, let me be absolutely clear- I've known Wayne for almost 20 years when he hired me to photograph his first print catalog. I rode with a GP-2 suit on the street years ago, and when I began dual-sport riding, I knew I wanted one of his suits for that. I contacted him, we did some business, and I took delivery of my suit about a month ago. I like Wayne, his company, and his products but need to be clear I'm not a shill, not getting paid, etc, etc. Ok?

After a lot of thought, I settled on the Marathon Jacket and a pair of modified police pants (I think). The goal was to create the ultimate ADV suit that would be comfortable on long mixed-terrain and mixed climate trips.

And that's what I got.

I made a lot of changes- Wayne was very helpful and very patient. He was happy to apply some of my ideas, and steered me away from others.

Some of the big changes I were special pockets for a 100oz Camelbak bladder and another for my radio.

I skipped the chest pockets- I wanted more airflow (I tend to, like my KTM, overheat) and simplified the remaining pockets. I opted for the quad armor because I fall down a lot.

The first ride of any distance was the Circumnavigation of the Grand Canyon (ride report) and was 98% pleased.

Yes, the quad armor is a bit bulky, and was a tad awkward at first. But as the ride progressed, the armor started to conform to my muscular and fit body ( ) and became lots more comfortable.

At one point on the ride, I had to do a fast change into the zip-in liner while rain and hail began to pelt down on us. It was much easier than I thought,and the liner was far more comfortable than I anticipated. We had temps from rain to 100 degrees, and I could have kept the liner in the entire time.

Not to say, however, that the mesh was not cool and breezy- it absolutely was. Even in slow technical sections it was quite comfortable.

If I were on a dirt-only ride, I might use something different, but for anything with street time, this is my first choice.

Very happy with my choice!

Here's some pics:

The only thing I'd change on this suit is the Camelbak pocket. I'd make the zipper a little wider and put some sort of gusset in it so when it's full it pulls a little less on my shoulders. Not a big deal, and the consequence of my own choices. Once the bladder was a little less than full, the shoulders fit just fine. If I were riding in less remote areas, I'd simply put less water in the bladder.

The radio pocket worked perfectly, with it's stitched holes for the antenna and the PTT/helmet cords. Hardly knew my radio was even there.

Love this suit.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black

FakeName screwed with this post 10-11-2010 at 01:46 PM
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
T

Oddometer: 5,171
Nice looking suit- maybe the perfect ADV suit with a few reflective patches sewn on for good measure...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
would be better if it had waterproofing on the outside....i am so over liners to be honest!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
FakeName OP

Yeah- but if it were waterproof, it wouldn't be mesh. I was surprised how comfortable it was in the rain- liner was well designed and breathed very well.

And yes, Wayne suggested reflective patches- he has a lot from which to choose. But how would I practice my ninja skillz?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Nice looking set-up!
steve_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,318
That's a nice setup. Good thinking with the Camelback pocket. I find it annoying at times to be putting the camelback backpack on over my jacket..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Peregrine40
Tiercel

Oddometer: 67
Wink

Great suit. And really nice pics.

Any reason you chose solid kevlar instead of kevlar mesh? If, as you say, you were looking for more ventilation seems the mesh would be the way to go. I'm facing the very same issue for an order.

Thanks in advance.
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
FakeName OP

It's all mesh!

Except the back of the pants and some parts of the arms where it needs to be more flexible.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
Interesting how the OP doesn't make mention of the price paid for this undoubtedly fine gear. Almost as if price wasn't the sole or primary motivator for his choice.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
FakeName OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Interesting how the OP doesn't make mention of the price paid for this undoubtedly fine gear. Almost as if price wasn't the sole or primary motivator for his choice.

Absolutely right. I wanted the best gear I could get, regardless of cost. While I thought my suit was expensive, it was the best (my opinion) I could afford.

If I detect a note of sarcasm, I'd direct you to the first paragraph of the first post. I believe price is a personal matter, and I'll discuss my personal financial choices with my wife, thanks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
If I detect a note of sarcasm, I'd direct you to the first paragraph of the first post. I believe price is a personal matter, and I'll discuss my personal financial choices with my wife, thanks.
I believe he's suggesting that considering your relationship with Wayne, you didn't pay full price or you bartered your photography services for your suit.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
my suit cost me $1,800.00!!!! (marathon air-mesh plus a lot of options and im 6'9" so its fitted) I consider it a bargain. When the zombies attack it's what i will wear because its bite-proof!!!!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
FakeName OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
I believe he's suggesting that considering your relationship with Wayne, you didn't pay full price or you bartered your photography services for your suit.
well. Sorta. What he's suggesting is that by posting my positive experiences with this product, I'm compromising my personal integrity and posting because of a business relationship.

We are all welcome to our opinions, and I invite anyone to completely disregard this post. And you are welcome to question my integrity if you wish.

My moral obligation is to disclose the relationship in advance to all readers.

So- moving on. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about my personal experience with this product or service experience!

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black

FakeName screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 06:02 PM
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
You seemed straight up to me, and I agree. This is the best stuff money can buy. I've spent the last 5 years buying and selling everything from Aerostich, BMW, Rukka, Klim, First Gear, REv'it and I'm sure a few more trying to find what works best for me. I'm done. Motoport it is.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I'll wait for the $3,000 Touratech suit.

Norhasken screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 11:14 AM
Norhasken is offline   Reply With Quote