Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
n00b

Oddometer: 8
If you are renting for two days, does this mean a two day trip, or two one day trips?

If you are going for a two-day, I would recommend heading up North to the redwoods (check my previous posts, there aren't many so it should be easy to find). You may not have time for everything, but highway 1 and the Northern stretches of 101 are worth doing.

For one-dayers, I would go North across the Golden Gate, and pick up highway 1. There are a number of roads that head back East to 101 so you can pick the length of ride you want (I like 116 along the Russian River). For the other day, I would find a good backroad South of SF on the pennisula. As mentioned, there are many. This would give you plenty of good riding, and still be close to "home". If you want to do Mt. Hamilton, that is a good suggestion as well (I just did it a few weeks ago with my brother), but it is a bit of a hike from SF. Head up Alum Rock from East San Jose, stop at Lick Observitory, then follow it down the other side. At Junction you can then head East to Patterson or North to Livermore.

Rent a GS if you can, because, well, if you can ride a GS, why wouldn't you?? Nah, any bike will do just fine for these roads. Mt. Hamilton is probably the worst, but only on the way up. The backside is pretty smooth and Mines road into Livermore could be a lot of fun on a sport bike.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Rent a GS if you can, because, well, if you can ride a GS, why wouldn't you?? Nah, any bike will do just fine for these roads..
Ha Ha. I am thinking I will try to get a Tiger, it looks like a good choice for the varied road conditions I am reading about. I tried the GS once, it is great for what it is but not my cup of tea. Not just because I ride a 990 Adventure.
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Got an iPhone?
http://www.madmaps.com/

If not, these maps are sold in just about every MC shop in SF. The rental place will most likely have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Katanarama: Everything Sally said is spot on. Also check this list of roads out. It's tough to go wrong riding in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Just watch for cops.
King's Mountain Rd to Tunitas Creek to Hwy 1 Down to Pesacadero the up Pesacadero Rd to Hwy 84 back to Skyline then back to the San Jose area is a pretty good ride. It's been a while but that might be about 4 hours.

OTOH, if you are renting downtown, you may want to head North. (IIRC, it's about an hour just to get to the good roads South from downtown.

Take the Golden Gate Br to Sausalito then head towards Stinson Beach and the John Muir Woods. Stay North on 1. Point Reyes is a good ride but you have to backtrack. The above map lists very few roads North but just about any route from 1 back over to 101 and back to SF is good. My favorites are Bodega Hwy and the road through Nicasio and Novato. You can find those on the link above on the "Sir Francis Drake" map.

You like Oysters? If so, make sure you look out for a little spot on the left (West as you're going North) side of the road just as you get to Tomales Bay. Good stop for lunch. Tomales Bay Oyster Company

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 11:50 AM
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarama
Ha Ha. I am thinking I will try to get a Tiger, it looks like a good choice for the varied road conditions I am reading about. I tried the GS once, it is great for what it is but not my cup of tea. Not just because I ride a 990 Adventure.
If you want to stay with what you know, Dubbelju are taking delivery of two 990 Adventures.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarama
If you're used to a 990, the Tiger will feel small. Really small.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408
If you're used to a 990, the Tiger will feel small. Really small.
And they shift like garbage. And I think they handle like garbage from my 2 days with one.

Everyone has basically repeated what I said in my initial post, so you have plenty to choose from.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
And they shift like garbage. And I think they handle like garbage from my 2 days with one.
I had one that I liked for a day or so. The second, I had for four days--that one sucked ass for the reasons you cite.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #23
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
If you want to stay with what you know, Dubbelju are taking delivery of two 990 Adventures.
Sweet. I am going to call them earlier rather than later and hope to get one for the day.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
katanarama OP
riding > posting

Just wanted to let you guys know that I rented a Bonneville from dubbleju and went from an awesome ride down the 1 to San Gregorio, east to Alice's and then around some killer roads (my favorite was Bonny Doon/Empire Grade of the 236) for the day.

I went for the Bonne as I decided I wanted to relax a little and take in the scenery. It is a great bike, good around town and in the twisty stuff.

Big shout out to the folks at Dubbleju.com Great Bikes and friendly service.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #25
ian408
Oh?

Glad you had a great time! You picked a couple of nice roads to take the Bonnie out on.