Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
This trip to TWO marks almost exactly 20 years since I first visited TWO back in October of 1990. On that trip I rode up from Pensacola, FL on my EX500. I fell in love with the place and the riding in the area. One of the things I have always loved about TWO was that if you spend any time here, you will meet fascinating people. Tonight turned out to be one of those days.

After the ride we hung out in the parking lot talking. There was a couple from Vancouver who where several months into a three year trip. They quit thier jobs, sold everything, and head off on their two 800gs's. They had been to Alaska, worked their way to Georgia and were headed for the tip of South America. What amazed my the most was their budget: $15 a day for gas, $10 a day for lodging, and $5 a day for gas - THAT's FOR BOTH OF THEM They were taking it easy, and not riding over 55 so he said they were getting about 70MPG. Then they were camping or staying with people. $5 a day for food? I have no idea how they were managing that I wish I had taken a pic of them.

Then there was the guy who they were staying with. He had his wee strom set up for some serious off roading so I took a pic while Paul was trying it on for size.

Note the front fender and skidplate. He had also raised the suspension front and rear. I believe he said the front forks were off a DR650.

Then Mimi came out to get some Pics for facebook so I took her pic for ADV

If you've spent any time at TWO, then you know Mimi.

Then I had a great conversation with a lady named Ester (sometimes I can remember names despite having CRS) I don't remember everything we talked about but I do remember that her husband was from San Diego. She introduced us and we talked about all the great stuff near San Diego such as Apple Pie in Julian, Dudley's bakery, Palomar Mountain, and more. I lived in San Diego from 86-89 and still miss it.

I did get Ester's pic, helmet hair and all.

A pic of Dave with the TWO staff.

My plan was to get a shower and changed before dark and dinner but I couldn't get myself to break away from the fascinating conversations. I did have a great dinner again.

After dinner I hung out in the lodge. Flux Capacitor and his brother were there as well as a couple who I had met the previous night. I'm not sure what the couple's relationship was so I'll call them Boyfried (BF) and Girlfriend (GF). We were just sitting around BSing when out of the blue BF starts trying to get Mimi to belly dance. This did not sit well with GF who went upstairs to their room. BF knew he was in trouble

A little later I headed back to my tent to change and get a shower. Well past dark, I went back to the lodge and ran into BF on the porch.........with his riding gear on and carrying his saddlebags. He was NOT a happy dude and probably was in no condition to ride.

Not sure of the outcome of this story but I had a full day so I went and hit the sack.

It had been a great day (for me if not for BF) and there was still one more day to go

klaviator screwed with this post 10-15-2010 at 01:12 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Woke up the next morning to another beautiful day.

Went to the lodge for breakfast and then planned on going riding for half a day with dave. To my surprise, Sean showed up with his KLR so we would have a group of three today.

We headed north on 60 then turned off after about 5 miles to get back into the Coopers Creek area of the National Forest. My plan today was to get back into area with some dead end roads. I didn't go in there the day before because I though it might be full of deer hunters. Since we saw few hunters yesterday, I thought we'd try it today. I never remember the name of the road but it starts out like this:

Dave:

And Sean:

Then it was off to some great riding. The first road we went down is normal closed so it showed little sign of traffic.

It ended here:

Looking back the way we came:

Although it was a bright sunny day, we were in the shade most of the time.

Lots of grass growing in the road.

The roads were not particularly challenging, nor did they have any spectacular views. For some reason, the riding we did back here was probably the high point of my vacation. It's hard to explain. It was one of those times when everything just felt right. Perfect weather, great riding buddies, virtually no traffic, and a really peacefull feeling. I don't think it was just me, Sean and Dave both commented on how great the riding was.
The only thing that was not perfect was the fact that it would have to end

During a break, got a pic of Sean and his beautiful, 07 KLR. this is Sean's first Dual Sport motorcycle. His background is racing dirt bikes and ATVs. I think he's hooked on the Dual Sport thing now.

Despite only riding dual sport for about a month, Sean could easily leave Dave and me in the dust. Luckily it was not dusty back here

After a break I went ahead to get some action pics.

Coming;

and going:

Sean volunteered to take my camera ahead and get pics us crossing the creek on the way out.

and one more:

And one of just Dave:

Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Way to soon it was time to head back. We retraced out path back to Suches. Here we are taking a break waiting for a good break in traffic so we can get a clean run up the last few miles of 60.

Did I mention that the weather was absolutely perfect!

When we got back to TWO, it was packed with a huge crowd.

A beautiful MV Augusta. There were a several of them here.

I ended up eating lunch with Gary and Jolyn( Hope I got the name right).

They are both TWO regulars. I first met Gary at TWO at least 15 years ago. Jolyn was the first person on the seen after I hit Bambi last year. They are lucky enough to live nearby in the beautiful N Georgia Mountains.