User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #46
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Only one more post?!?!

Maybe we can convince you to write up some of the other rides.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #47
Faulkner
Patriot

Oddometer: 86
Loved the RR and great pictures.

I tried to get Mrs Faulkner to ride on the Wee but she won't do it. Right after I got it I took her on a ride and we made it about a half mile from home when she started to bang me on the helmet and tell me to take her back home. We've been all over the country on my Harley Ultra, but she just don't like riding two up on the Wee.

Oh well, that's one problem I don't have to worry about. Whenever I pull the Wee out of the stable, she knows she's not invited.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #48
Mrs. MeanStreaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Well, here we are. I knew it would come eventually and I have been dreading it. The end, almost. It was our last morning at the River Retreat. Our last morning waking up in West Virginia. Our last morning with no dogs to take out, no schedule, no responsibilities, no laundry, no housework . . .

Well, maybe a little bit of housework.

Unfortunately I get it into my head that once we start home vacation is over. It's all about the journey when I am traveling "there" but all about the destination when I am traveling "back." I need to work on that. We loaded up Rocky. We left the key on the table. We locked the door. I put one boot onto the passenger peg, took a last look at our vacation . . .

. . . braced my left hand on Mr. MeanStreaker's shoulder, swung my leg over the leather seat, plopped down with sigh and started for home. I had the fancy camera packed away, so there are no close-up artsy shots to share from this leg of the trip. I do have a close-up of Mr. MeanStreaker's back though.

I see that a lot. Ahhhh, the little Rocket on his jacket. We have spent some time together over the years, me and him. Rocket that is. And Rocky. And Mr. MeanStreaker for that matter. We had stopped at the Fairview Diner for some lunch. Not much to see there, we were just on the way home after all. Continued on our way. Stopped for gas. Realized Rocky needs a bath.

Kept riding. Ohhhh, there's me again. See, there were two of us on this trip!

It seemed like the temperature rose ten degrees when we crossed the border back into Ohio. I remember thinking a little rain would be nice when we stopped in the parking lot . . .

. . . of an old abandoned convenience store . . .

. . . for a stretch. I should have wished for cash instead, 'cause I really got my wish and lots of it. We were an hour from Cincinnati when the sky started to look dim. I packed up the little camera inside the rain liner of the tank bag and zipped my jacket's rain liner in. We were 45 minutes from Cincinnati when it finally started to rain. Wait, did I say rain? I meant pour. Wait, did I say pour? I meant downpour!! We have been in rain before. I fact, it is rare if we don't hit some weather on our travels. I remember riding to Virginia a few years ago in torrential rain, before I got decent gear, and being soaked to the core from the waist down. Water was running into my shoes and down my neck as I huddled up against Mr. MeanStreaker on the back of, well, our MeanStreak. Nowadays I have actually come to like the rain. It's a cleansing of sorts from the grime that is the open road. This rain was no different, I actually liked it too. It was the wind that caused us the trouble. It was blowing and hard. We pulled over beneath an underpass with a few cars and Mr. MeanStreaker actually stood with both hands on Rocky to keep him from wobbling in the wind. I'd love to share a picture with ya, but the little Sony is just not waterproof, and like I said, there was a lot of water and it was everywhere. After a half hour the rain and wind subsided and we finished our journey to Cincinnati where there was a poodle waiting for us at my mother's house.

That's our trip. I learned some things about myself as I always do when we travel this way. I hope you learned some things too: to visit West Virginia, to take pictures of your dinner, maybe to wave at scooters when you ride past 'cause some of us tell a good story and we aren't all bad, to get yourself a poodle, to appreciate livestock, to not be afraid to play with your food, to explore abandoned buildings so I can live vicariously and that Jim Croce rocks! He has some words of wisdom that ring true to me right now as I wrap up this ride report . . . we've long run out of things to say and I think I better go . . . and every road you travel has an end . . .

Mrs. MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #49
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Thanks baby for such a wonderful job documenting our trip!

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #50
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,279
Great R.R.
thanks
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #51
zwild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Really nice, thanks for sharing.

Mr ms, you're a lucky man.
zwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #52
GSA Dave
Wonderer

Oddometer: 75
Thanks for the great RR.

I grew up in Parkersburg 30 yrs ago. I really miss that part of the country. Great people and great roads and scenary. Thanks for the great report which reconnected me to some wonderful memories.

2008 R1200GS Adventure
GSA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #53
KevinTheMule
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MeanStreaker

Loved the RR...and I hope that shirt says "Bengals", not "Browns", or "Bears".

I'm going to send you and Mr. PM's with my info...I live nearby and would love to ride with you sometime.

-Kevin
KevinTheMule is offline   Reply With Quote