User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
CO2wheeler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Dream Ride

I have been dreaming of such a ride and thank you for sharing your trip. Though I have done many solo trips I am not sure this is one I would do without a partner.
The wife wants a new bike next year. I may have to push her in the right direction.
CO2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Dave,
Again a great RR and Pictures. Unfortunatly as you know my trip was cut short because of Weather but it looked like you had the same idea of roads that I did, except I was going to do it counter clockwise.

I noticed in one of your first pictures of your bike and I had never noticed it before.
AIRBORNE!!
101st, 1/327th infantry
Vietnam 69-71.

what unit, mos and when?

Mil T
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Sweet pix! I need to go back and read about the ride now!
steve_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Hiya Dave, nice trip!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #20
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Talking Thanks for all the comment everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T
I noticed in one of your first pictures of your bike and I had never noticed it before.
AIRBORNE!!
101st, 1/327th infantry
Vietnam 69-71.

what unit, mos and when?

Mil T
We're brothers from the same Infantry Regiment Mil T!
2/327th Infantry 101st Airborne! "No Slack" Battallion "Always First" Brigade
89-92 Desert Storm
I was born the year you went to Vietnam.

I'm honored to know you. We'll definitely have to ride together sometime.
Airborne!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Bluhduh The Burr Trail

This year the Burr Trail started out like this...

I figured Bullfrog Creek a few miles away is the reason for the closed road. I went around the barricades and went to explore a way across...

Uh oh...

Oh NOoooooo! This is what it means when they say "Impassable When Wet".

That doesn't even look safe to walk on. I guess I underestimated the heavy rains earlier this week.

I don't even attempt that crossing. I'm not insane. That leaves me with just asphalt between here and Capitol Reef National Park. My plans for this day are ruined. I'm worried the rest of the roads I have planned may also be impassable.

I stop to refuel in Hanksville. Then the bike wouldn't start again! I tried dislodging the cylinders again, but is was apparent the battery was dead. I push the bike over to Stan's Burger Shak.

After a very good double bacon cheese burger with fries I wandered back out and tried again. Nope, the problem wasn't self-repairing. The burger recharged me, Not the bike...

I was forced out of my introverted shell to ask strangers for help. A few minutes later we had it jump-started.

Let's hope the battery charges on the next run.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #22
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Talking In Conclusion...

Utah has the BEST scenery anywhere.

The ride over to Capitol Reef NP on the 95 is delicious.

After about 40 miles I stop to view the petroglyphs.

I love the rocks here.

Old and newer... WWI and WWII Generations from the Same Family?

I love the rocks here.

Ancient Flatscreen

I love the rocks here.

I love the roads here.

The battery is dead again. With recurring bike problems and impassable roads, I start to realize my weekend plans are shattered. I decide to ride over to the campground, grab a site, and tear apart the bike to see if I can sort out he problem. I put a new battery in just a few weeks ago, only because the original battery was nearly 4 years old. Maybe I have loose wires or something?

After the second jump-start from a stranger I ride towards the campground. As soon as I got there I saw the dreaded "Campground Full" sign posted. Crap. I would've never guessed Capitol Reef was popular enough to fill up the campground. I was here in November last year and had the place nearly to myself?

Screw IT! I'm going home. I did a U-turn right there on the highway. Snap Decision. Mind Made Up. If I can stretch out my fuel stops I'll only have to get two more jump-starts. It's nearly 4PM (Arizona Time) and I'm about 400 miles away.

I retrace my route back to Hanksville and turn south.

I'm severely disappointed, but at the same time I'm still counting my lucky stars that I'm not stranded or wrecked in John's Canyon. The ride is still enjoyable and scenic. If I can just make it home tonight...

I pull over at the scenic view point of Lake Powell to take a short break. I tell myself repeatedly, "Don't kill the engine". So what did I do?

Kill the Engine!

Lake Powell

The Confluence of the Dirty Devil and Colorado Rivers

After jump-start 3...

Still Fun. Somewhere along here I picked up some bug splatter on the camera lens. The rest of the evening's pics are worthless. I ride down the slippery gravel of the Moki Dugway in the dark. It was a beautiful starry night crossing Monument Valley. Too bad I can't really stop here for some long-exposure pics.

For the second time in 24 hours I start across the big Indian Reservations in the dark. I've got some sort of battery or charging system problem. The headlamp is dimming, the ABS light is on, and the bike runs lean (Great for fuel range).

I stopped in Mexican Hat just in time to see two Native American families jump-staring one of their cars. I got another quick jump start. Jump Start 4.

This is what the rest of the ride looked like.

I stop in every big town (about every hour) to call my wife. "If I don't call within a couple hours come find me between ________".

The bike gets it's last fuel in Flagstaff. (It was cold there.) Instead of asking for another jump-start I decided to try push-starting it. I need to know. It worked!

Day 2 Stats

I made it home without further incident around 12:30 AM.
1090 miles in 32 hours on a STOCK KTM SEAT & STOCK WINDSHIELD!
Stop yer whining in the OC. This bike is awesome on or off the road.

BTW, I purchased a new battery (again), but put the old (confirmed good)one in until I can rule out other causes. If I have a faulty charging system I don't want to fry another new battery. I also found and cleaned two connectors that were filthy. I'm still not getting the specified volts at 5000 rpm though. The manual says you should see 14-15 volts at the battery terminals at 5000 rpm. I see 13.9 at idle and 13.2 at 5000 rpm? Is this normal, or should I try replacing the R/R or stator?

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 10:04 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #23
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Sounds like you had the luck I did sort of. I did it in 48 hours due to pending weather the week before you. Looks like the rain I was avoiding that hit caused your detour.

13.9 volts is normal charging and is close enough to 14 but 15 is a bit hi in my opinion. Isn't there something about the ADV having a problem with charging sometimes? I thought I had heard or read that.
You sound just like me when the trip starts going south like yours did.
Ahh F_ _K IT!! I'm goin home.

I was an ABU ASASSIN, ABOVE THE REST!

We must get together.

Mil T
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
GrundMake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23

Wow, some stunning photo's