Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,761
Wrenching Wenches Motorcycle Network

Iíve been mulling this idea for some time. Iíve talked with many female riders and they were the spark for this idea.

A little history first.

When I started riding it was on Hondas. First was a 250cc, then 600cc and then a 1300cc. I am a Nurse and used them mostly to commute. Mine you it was 30,000 miles a year. The Honda shop was 10 miles from home and it was convenient just to drop the bike off, they fix it and I pick it up. No worries.

Then I bought a 1993 BMW K1100RS and the shop for it was 3 hours ONE WAY.

Now it made more financial sense to figure out how to work on the bike vs. killing a day to get it to the shop then repeat to pick it up.

At first it was just the small stuff and I still let the shop do the deep engine work because frankly it intimidated me.

Then Steve came into my life and helped me prep for my solo 20,000 mile Alaska trip. He taught me a lot, but NOTHING could have prepared me for what happened on the trip.

In High Level, AB the bikeís input shaft striped the clutch plate.
The whole story starts here >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142933

The 10 day Trannyectomy and repair starts here. >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...142933&page=40

Putting it back together.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1021

It was a life changing experience.
After that, I wanted to know how to do EVERYTHING for my bike.
I had faced my fears and had succeeded.
I was no longer intimidated in fact, I was fascinated by the working of the machine I was riding.
I trusted it more and felt strangely more bonded to it.

Now, back to my idea.

I had just finished this project on my 1996 BMW K1100RS >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=408937&page=4

When I posted this. >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617163
================================================== ========
I feel so alone

You guys have it pretty damn good.

You can ďhang out with the boysĒ in the garage and do what men do when the women folk arenít about. Itís totally natural and healthy to do this and I fully encourage and support activities like it.

But I donít have one person in my life I can do this with. By that I mean another female rider. I love Steve with all my heart, but he canít fill this need for me.

Iím not a soccer mom, and Iím never going to a Mary Kay party.

The things I love to do the most are to ride and wrench my motorcycles.

Of the women I know in my area that ride, none of them wrench their bikes and none of them Ďadventureí ride, dirt ride, tour or even long distance ride.

Iím feeling social loneliness.
Steve hangs out with Ski and mountain bike buddies and it enriches his life.

There is a sharing that only takes place in same sex groups.

Women think differently. We talk about our relationships, children, periods, cramps, mammograms, childbirth and even sex. We tend to be more openly emotional or at least I do.

Maybe if I could find someone who shares my passions I might learn how to be more feminine.

My heart aches to have just one female friend and fellow rider to talk with while tinkering over some bike part.

The Internet does not fill this desire.

At times I despair to the point of tears.

Like now.
================================================== ========

The members stirred up that idea again and gave me strength to make this post.

Maybe I could start a network of women riders who would like to find other women who want the feeling of sisterhood in the garage. One of mentorship and sharing.

Generally speaking women could list something like this:

A request for help on (year, make and model of motorcycle)
What is the project at hand
How to contact the poster of the request

Then others can answer the request.
They would make arrangements to meet the one asking for help and together they could work on the project.

On another level, women could list their area of knowledge, their location and resources at hand.

Some may want to offer tech days and such.

I know Iíll take some flack from some men and some women on this idea, but I feel this could be an avenue that would help some women on a level they feel comfortable with and the bottom line is this canít hurt to give it a try.

I'll start.
Hi, I'm Gwen.
I live in Culpeper, VA.
I have a full garage, bike lift, tire changer, and a trailer to haul bikes.
I'm most versed in BMW K-bikes but with a manual and time I'm willing to help anyone do anything on any bike.
I work two jobs, so big projects will need scheduling.
Short jobs, maybe less notice.

Next...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote