Old 10-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #3631
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Sheep watching sheep

back to the cliffs;

Can you see them?

How about now?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #3632
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Nostalgia side-bar

Regarding the melting plastic smell referred to in the above video... a little more detail:

Mold-A-Rama!

It never gets old:

in action:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #3633
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped for

a little snack,

and Tim caught up with us.

so we rode together for a while more.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #3634
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we were riding,

I got to thinking about our experience on the Dempster. I remember reading stuff before we left, and listening to people tell their tales of woe and misery, I sort of had certain expectations. Having run all but a hundred miles or so at this point, I decided to record my impressions and opinions of the Dempster as a Q & A with myself.

I generally try to keep my video clips short. Not this one. If you're contemplating riding the Dempster, there may be some useful info, and I recommend listening to the whole 9 minutes... if you're not riding the Dempster, I highly recommend skipping it.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 09:49 AM
Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #3635
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was starting

to get

a little tundra overload.

Or what ever it is you would call

the opposite of cabin fever.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #3636
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tim, John & Chi

had highly recommended that we stop and walk on the tundra. They said it was wild.

So we found a suitable location, parked, and frolicked in the tundra.

At the risk of pissing off ecology-minded individuals... I calculated the percentage of tundra we trampled as a fraction of all the tundra up there.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #3637
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
This is just unbelievably great stuff. One of the jewels of this forum.

I've whiled away most of Sunday morning with two big carafes of Technivorm-brewed coffee enjoying your photography and your writing from Mobius 6.

Knowing how much time it takes to put together even a small ride report from a short week-long journey, I can only express amazement (and gratitude) and this body of work you've assembled here.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #3638
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I started out

just trying to capture

some of the beautiful landscape,

when I shot this video,

but I ended up catching some excitement, or what counts for it, along the way.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #3639
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the interpretive center

(up ahead)

we parted ways with Tim and John & Chi for the day. They went in to check it out, and we just used the bathrooms and peeled off some layers.

from the interpretive center at Tombstone mountain camp, it's not far (45mi) to where the gravel ends, or as I like to call it, "the upside down cigarette sign"

And the victory circle!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #3640
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took a right turn

onto the Klondike Highway, which follows the Klondike River west to where it empties into the Yukon River at Dawson City.

The whole area has been turned into a tourist attraction for the Olde Timey Gold Mining era, but frankly, aside from the rehabbed buildings, it's kind of a SuperFund site.

along each side of the road, there are big piles of slag, and toxic cess pools left over from the mining days.

It would be one thing if this were held up as an example of how NOT to rape the environment, but it was being celebrated via Yukon's "Discovery Day" holiday weekend.

Meanwhile, it's hot as blazes, we're trying to find liquor and gas and groceries, and we're both getting hungry and thirsty and tired...

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 04:15 PM
Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #3641
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
>..."Francine.... run like you're being chased by a bear!"

Heh....
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #3642
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dawson City

Seemed quaint,

and under other circumstances I could see spending some time,

but we had an agenda, it was getting late in the day, and we still had some miles to cover if we were to get to our destination.

Besides, we just weren't in the mood to have to deal with holiday tourists

and closed liquor stores.

So when we had to backtrack to get gas, only to find that the bathroom was out of order... well...

Meltdown.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #3643
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We board the ferry

'Ole Hull 159...

The ride was notable only for the ferry worker chatting up the Betty in the car behind us,

and the squeegee guy cleaning everyone's mirrors for tips.

It felt good to be moving again on the other side, climbing out of the valley into cooler air.

(small print explains the time change crossing the border).
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #3644
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Kinda whiney

sorry.

Morale improved substantially. Trust me on that one.

Top of the World Highway:

Old 10-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #3645
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Pretty spectacular

all you gotta do is...