Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Yeah, the high elevations are experiencing frost temps at night.
I spent the weekend up in the high country above here in Boone and it was pretty chilly.
I have a backpacking trip planned for this weekend up in Black Balsam/Shining Rock wilderness. It depends on your gear and how prepared you are for coldish weather. Camping off the BRP down in lower elevations helps.
Conditions are very dry and campfires are discouraged or prohibited on public lands.
Early November is a toss up. Could be lots of snow and could be mild. The higher elevations are always the wild card. Bring plenty of gear and make sure your grip heaters (or whatever) work. If you don't have any heated stuff, prepare to suck it up.

Traffic was quite bad this weekend, what with all the leaf lookers. Beware lots of fallen leaves on the roadways, especially if we get some rainfall to make them slick. Looks like leaf color will peak this week, so probably after this weekend things will thin out again.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #17
halliwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
pretty cold here right now, just checked in last night in robbinsville, and this morning it was in the 30's, no just got to wait for everyone to wake up so we can go eat breakfast and then I have about a 200 mile loop plan for the day, going to be hitting mt. mitchell tomorrow, and then cut off the parkway to hit 80, haven't done it yet, but here its really good roads. as for the leaves they have changed and there's some caked on the roads already, but I'm pretty sure it had rain before we got here. but most of the road is still clear. we'll be down here till sunday. if anyone else is riding through post up.
halliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
shanekingsley
Motoman

Oddometer: 143
Some really good advice given already...

I just got back from a 10 day tour through the BRP/Skyline Drive and more. I rode it in 2 days, on weekdays and it was fine for traffic. In fact, I didn't see any police the entire length of the parkway. I did it from south to north to have the sun on my back rather than in my eyes. My speed was generally below 70...

As for temperatures, I would guess that since the areas along the south reach higher in altitude, they may be considerably colder, even though they are many miles further south. The drive is more technical further south as well.

I stayed at Willville Bike Camp near Meadows of Dan - but he may be closing soon for the season.

Have a great time. It was one awesome ride.
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
DistortedHumor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Right now it is leaf season (I live in the Boone area of the BRP area) and there is a good amount of traffic, traffic mind you that looking at leaves and not the road/motorcycles! (it is this type of year that I if I see a motorcycle about, I get behind them at a safe distance to make sure some idiot does not run over them looking at the leaves). At 3000 feet it is in the 40's already at 730 in the morning. Warms up in the day, but still chilly weather.
DistortedHumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,139
I have been the entire stretch of the Parkway this year. The past two weekends have been horrible with traffic.

Current temps are low 40's in the early am and getting up to high 60's.

Most scenic stretches are
#1- anything south of Mt Mitchell
#2- just north of Roanoke.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
halliwood
Gnarly Adventurer

just got back from mt mitchell and the traffic was pretty bad, very slow moving, and was cold, but well worth it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
DrAlloway
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Remember ALTITUDE effects temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg528
i plan on doing the brp on nov. 13 and 14 how will traffic and weather effect my ride.
By Nov 13 most of the Fall Colors will be gone and so will the tourists.

However, IIRC for every 1,000 feet of elevation - it drops 5F off temp. The BRP is at least 1k, most around 2k, and I think the highest parts are 3k.
DrAlloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #23
halliwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAlloway
By Nov 13 most of the Fall Colors will be gone and so will the tourists.

However, IIRC for every 1,000 feet of elevation - it drops 5F off temp. The BRP is at least 1k, most around 2k, and I think the highest parts are 3k.
in NC it climbs up to 6053 as the highest point on the road, there's other parts where you can pull off and go higher, but thats the highest point on the road itself.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
marcoue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
As planned, I went to New Orleans from Montreal last week and tried to drive the Parkway...

Oh well, just not for me!

Weather was ok. Yes a bit cold but I'm from Canada so nothing too bad there but my god, sooooooooooo slow.

The speed limit (35 mph), tourists, police cars and deers made this so boring that I decided to drive the side roads witch, of course didn't have the view, but were much more fun!

I was surprised but Virginia! Wineries, farms. Very nice, will have to go back with the girlfriend!
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #25
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by halliwood
in NC it climbs up to 6053 as the highest point on the road, there's other parts where you can pull off and go higher, but thats the highest point on the road itself.
Taken on October 7th. It's a bit of a climb getting up there:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote