Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
I tried that last year with the KLR and a hack. Between the snow, ice and salt, the once rust free KLR became a rust nightmare.

Not gonna happen with the R80g/s, it's too collectable
Not a chance of that stuff falling from the sky around here.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
The Raven OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813

Yeah, you outah statahs keep thinkin that, ah yup. If I could live in Maine ANY TIME of the year, it would be between September 1 and December 1st. Very few tourists, prices drop to local levels again. Roads clear out of out of state plates. Road construction ends. Weather is clear and cool with no bugs. The smell of woodsmoke in the air...oh yeah...heaven this time of year.

Come on Tom...TEXAS? You KNOW better than to suggest that piss hole to me... NM and CO are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
I'd ride it to Texas or Southern Arizona and live there and ride it for the winter. How the heck anyone can survive a single winter in Maine is beyond me. The last day to leave that state is about 2 days after Labor Day. Before the water in the toilet bowl freezes.

Tom
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,515
Raven:

Just pulling your chain. I recall clearly how much you enjoyed the 12 miles of Texas you had to ride through.

Maine: I spent the first 32 years of my life on the east coast. Used to spend 2 weeks per summer in NH, VT (my fave), or Maine (wife's favorite). I recall being in Bar Harbor about a week or two after Labor Day one year and 50% of the places were already closed for the year. And I recall it was darned cold in the morning.

We're hoping to move to CA at some point in the next 10 years so I won't need to own a car.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
The Raven OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Raven:

Just pulling your chain. I recall clearly how much you enjoyed the 12 miles of Texas you had to ride through.

Maine: I spent the first 32 years of my life on the east coast. Used to spend 2 weeks per summer in NH, VT (my fave), or Maine (wife's favorite). I recall being in Bar Harbor about a week or two after Labor Day one year and 50% of the places were already closed for the year. And I recall it was darned cold in the morning.

We're hoping to move to CA at some point in the next 10 years so I won't need to own a car.

T.
12 miles...oh god it felt like 1200......I actually had an offer for my sidecar from a gal in TX.....I couldn't sell it to her....TX Blah

VT is a beautiful state, I only drink VT maple syrup...none of that Maine crap. You are right about Bah Habah. They only cater to the tourist crowd. Too bad really. It's almost unbearable there now since they allow cruise ships in. All summer, at least 5 ships per week. Great for tourism...sucks for people who used to enjoy the Maine experience. Yup, i've gotten far too cynical about this state. It's about time for me to leave. I was recently offered a position to cook on a sailboat in the Caribbean....if i hadn't just put up the yurt I would have jumped at it.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens
Hmmm, drain the carbs and tank or add fuel stabilizer? And if it's add fuel stabilizer should it be synthetic fuel stabilizer?
Me? I have never liked fuel stabilizers and it just makes more sense to me to dump the old gas into the car and then drive down to the gas station and buy a gallon of fresh Hi-Test if I want to go for a ride, so I just drain the damn tank and have done with it.

When I lived in NJ, I once inherited a nice 1969 R75/5 that had been stored under a car-port for a cold NJ Winter. My uncles kid was fooling around with the bike one day, left the fuel tap open and over the next few months the gas drained through the carb, into the left head, past the rings and into the sump, followed by a lot of water. Needless to say, it killed the bike.

If you drain the tank, leaving the lid cracked open and the fuel lines plugged, theres no way you can get condensation in the tank and any water that does get in, simply drains out through the fuel taps. No more rusted tanks and no more corroded carbs.

YMMV,

PS: I lived in N. Ohio, Upstate New York, NYC, Northern New Jersey, Wisconsin and spent part of a Winter in the mountains of Maine but never again! Getting up and driving to work oranywhere else when it's somewheres between 20 and 40 below and snowing? Thats for the friggin birds! In fact, the last winter that I spent in Rochester NY it snowed in MAY!!! Cali has it's problems but I think I'll stay a little longer.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 05:44 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
The Raven OP
Banned

Lets say I do drain the tank pull the hoses and open the tap, leaving the cap open. This leave unprimed metal exposed to partially salted air as I am within 15 miles of the North Atlantic. Do you think this will cause issues.

Perhaps some sort of an anti-corrosion spray?

Then again, I could just fill the tank, and disconnect the hose. Either way no one but me will be touching this bike from fall to winter as it is just me and the wife who has access to my shed. The wife knows enough about fuel taps to leave them shut unless riding the bike.