Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Eh? The ground up yz/wr/xt/tt adventure build

It all starts today
I have been recently prowling around various forums and web sites to steal idea's from more inspired people.

My decisions have been made and I have started down a path I can not return from.

I purchased a 1991 ex army xt 600 e after a quick engine spruce up (valve seals and rings) this was all that was required to get the motor running well and with no smoke. After riding and racing enduro bikes for a long time I was less than impressed with xt's handling and the way it wanted to tip into corners Then push the front wheel out during the apex of the corner.

It also had the weight of a overweight sumo wrestler. SO what to do about this situation?

I was luck enough to buy a tt 600 frame on ebay for a song It was already sand blasted and cleaned up ready to paint.

So I have Gone on a buying frenzy over the last month to start my desert warrior. I have made some fittings to start the rolling chassis the first was the lower bearing sleave to fit a standard yz/wr bearing race into the frame it is a good fit and this allows to use of standard readily available parts

Once i pressed the lower race in it fitted up perfectly and the lower triple clamp fitted perfectly

I also turned some adaptors to fit the yz swing arm into the frame this wasn't to hard the swing arm pivot bolt is 16mm and the yz is 18mm. The frame opening of the tt was only 6mm wider so this was not hard to fit this swing arm int the frame. I do not have any pictures yet but I will post them when I set up the swing arm linkages. I have made sleave's like this to keep all bearings close to the wr/yz standards because of there ease to locate.

The next step was to cut the old steel subframe off and get the frame ready for the future modifications (new top shock mount and the lower linkage mount) I have a wr250/450 subframe with an airbox and single carb which will get mounted properly over the coming months keep you eyes peeled

So without boring you people too much this is what I have roughly planned

So things are not set in stone but this is where I am going with this bike Lots of small fiddly bits to fabricate and fit but the end goal is set Melborne to Darwin off road the whole way!

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote