Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #16
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,004
You guys should come to the Latin America Rider Rallye's.

Ushuaia Riders Bike Choices:

Gato Gato: BMW F650
Dave G: BMW F650
Me: BMW R1100GS
Dr. Benny: KLR
Nightflyer: Yamaha XTZ 750. Didn't make it w/bike to Ushuaia. Spent more time doing bike repairs than riding. Temporarily abandoned bike in Rio Gallegos, and hitch hiked 500 miles to Ushuaia.
Lucio: 2-up from New York to Sao Paolo on a 1000 Vee

I met Brian and Marie in Bogota, 2-up on a BMW R1100GS. They had some trouble with theirs, but Brian kept saying no other bike could put up with them. They went around the world on it for two years.

In Buenos Aires I met a few other Ushuaia riders. Lazerjock was the only guy on a Japanese bike: a 1000 Vee. He said in Patagonia in the wind he got less than 30 mpg. I also got 30 mpg. He could barely make it from gas station to gas station, but he loved his bike.

I haven't met Nina and Trevor, but that doesn't mean they didn't ride to Ushuaia on a KTM 990. I think they had a water pump problem but nothing more.

Dave G is starting his RTW on Tuesday in Thailand on a 400 DRZ. He knows what he wants to do and where he wants to go, hence the dirt bike. It's not a 2-up RTW machine.

Read the Latin America Ride Reports for more information.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
zer0space1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Laugh

Get A Ural Sidecar Motorcycle. If you don't have a lot of Riding experience they are a pretty quick learn. They go everywhere,not very fast, but everywhere. They are Easy to repair, Cheap to service, almost anything is replaceable, roadside. Besides you and your wife can take turns "riding Monkey" and napping in the Sidecar while the other drives
I am planning a Cross Country trip on mine next year doing a large Chunk of the TAT.
they also get a lot of second looks, if your into that
zer0space1 is offline   Reply With Quote