Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,373
Day Tripping with Celtazon and DownHill Dave.

Last spring I had the pleasure of meeting two fellow ADVers. ThrottleMeister and Celtazon. They blew into town on one very cold and windy spring evening. They had been busting snow trail all day over on 144. When I first meet them they were in need of a nice warm place to rewind. By the next morning they were recharged and ready to ride. I took some time to show them some of the really great riding that we have near Los Alamos. It was all written up in Celtazon's ride report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585146

Here is a shot of them near a fire watch tower in the Jemez.

During that ride I kept going off on the great single track that we have around here. And how they need to come down sometime to ride some of it.

Well it happened. Monday I had just returned home from visiting my son in Las Vegas NV. When I got a text from Celtazon. "Let's ride".

I spent the next days getting for Celtazon arrival. She showed up early on Thursday morning. The plan was to take her back up on 144 and ride some of the single track that was near there. I also asked DownHill Dave if he would like to ride along with us.

Here is Dave unpacking his brand new KTM bling. Nice bike Dave

Time to ride Dave.

First thing that Dave commented on was the snow. The second thing was the mud. The third thing was the fact that it was all very patchy. Not the best riding conditions.

Yep: a little fall + a little winter = allot of fun.

Celtazon was riding my Berg 390. I've been using this bike on the trails lately. It really is a sweet trail bike. I pulled the heavy springs and swapped them for a set more Celtazon's size. And we were all set.

Celtazon was taking all the photos here. Here is a shot of Dave on the trail. This trail was slick and really hard to ride. They both did a great job.

I really like the mountains this time of the year. The scenery is just awesome.

Another shot of Dave on the trail. This time I had stopped for some dead fall that was across the trail. We cleared it and moved on.

More trail shots from Celtazon.

Celtazon kept commenting on the ruts in the trail. I always replied what ruts.
Then she produced this photo.

More of Hair and Dave.
Dave is not disgusted he is admiring the big orange thing that is between his legs. Judging from the photo. Looks like I was more than slightly impressed with it too.

Another shot of Dave and mister handsome. Yep just a couple of studs on a hill who were out to impress the lady.

Here is a couple of shots of Celtazon.

We were just getting going on this ride and Murphy's Law would bite us hard. Turns out that the Husaberg 390 seems to have a dieing problem. And to make matters worse they also have a starting problem. Now I had been riding my bike trouble free. All the while I was monitoring a large thread over on the Husaberg site about fuel problems with the 390. Seems that most of the 390 are having this problem. Husaberg isn't on top of it yet. A lot of very frustrated people riding 390s these days. And today we joined the ranks. Celtazon was near a road crossing when the 390 died and would not start. We got the bike out to the road. Then lucky for us a local wood hauler came along. He had cables and was able to jump the bike for us. Thanks wood hauler dude. You really helped us out.

Later that day it happened again. This time we were on a long climb. We decided to have lunch and wait it out.

Frustration started to set in. Fall days are not long enough to begin with. We should not be wasting our time on bad behaving bikes.

But the bike would not start. We parked Dave's bike and the 390 on a flat spot on the trail.

Dave and Celtazon waited while I went for jumpers. The 390 has a recluse clutch so bump starting was not an option.
After an hour I was back with cables and a tow rope. One way or another that bike was coming out of the woods.

We got the bikes extracted. And on the way out we had to stop and take a photo of the very thing that brought us into the woods in the first place. The scenery was just spectacular.

I was really feeling bad about the whole thing. Celtazon and rode out from Tulsa. Dave had taken a day off from work. And I had let them down.
Oh well it was time for phase two of our splendid day in the woods.
San Antonio hot springs here we come.

After a short drive. We arrived at the parking spot. An FS crew was there doing the finishing touches on a new foot bridge across the River. On the way across we got reminded of the fact that this area was day use only. That happened like 5 times. Dave got chewed out for being to bouncy on the bridge. Bad Dave Bad.

We just wanted to put some space between the Troll at the end of the bridge and us. The 1/4 mile hike up to the springs might be just far enough.

At times the trail passed along the springs run off. We knew the treat the lied just ahead.

At last the springs.

After a while a small group from Albuquerque showed up and we all had a great time until sundown. Even their pup was entertaining.

A last it was near dark and we had to make our way back to the truck.

What a great way to spend the day.

Day two. I did what I could to ready the 390 for day two. There really isn't a fix for the fuel problem yet. So with cables packed Celtazon and I headed out to Alcalde. Today was sand riding day. Dave had to go back to his day job. So it was just the two of us.

Day two Celtazon breaks cover.
A good photo of Celtazon.

Oh wait there is more.
A better photo of Celtazon, That's right smile you're on ADVrider.

The third one is the charm.
An awesome photo of Celtazon. This girl can ride.

Celtazon was seeing Alcalde for the first time. Here are a few of her trail shots.

Views of the Jemez. We were just up there riding on the day before.

Celtazon in action.

Day two the reappearance of Mister Handsome.

Proof that I do ride. Gas on heading up a hill.

Over looking Chimayo

We decided to stop for a little lunch.
Apples are Awesome.

I will let Celtazon fill you in on her luncheon menu.

Right after lunch it happened again. The fricken 390 would not start.
After a half hour of jumping and cranking we got it fired up. We promptly made our way back to the truck. Loaded the bikes and headed home. And that was the end of day two.

Thanks Celtazon and Dave. The past two days were just awesome. There were some very memorable moments to say the least.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,329
Looks like great fun
Old 10-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Always nice to know AL is still out and about.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Out, about and doing well.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Celtazon
Enigma

Oddometer: 401
HIyA!!

What a GREAT couple of days up in them thar hills!

"hair" is such an amazing host. Its awesome to be able to ride a great bike with an able rider who knows where he is going. Makes my job easy!

The roads of NM hill country have impressed my street tires for years. The bigger trails challenged my dual sports, and on this trip, the single track loved on the knobbys for days.

I love riding in NM!

Downhill Dave...it was a pleasure riding with you and chatting about nothings for our maintanence break.

thanks again for a memorable trip. Im excited to find more adventures in NM and what better way to do it than with new friends.
Celtazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 622
Great report, Hair! You are very sneaky with that camera cuz I didn't notice how many shots you caught.

I had a blast getting to see some Jemez single malt, er.. track. Thanks for showing me around, Hair. You are lucky to have that in your "backyard".

Nice to meet and ride with you, AnnaLee. Good luck selling the Bronco. Hope you can turn one of the fotos into a piece of art. Hope you can get back here soon for some more explorin' in them thar hills.
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Dave, Most of the photos were Celtazon's. She seems to be right on top of things when it comes to her camera. Which is great because she takes really great photos.

Dave, I would like to do the loop at Alcalde with you sometime. I've been working on my shoulder and it did not bother me at all during these past two days.
So I am good to go.