Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #3661
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We were treated

to another fabulous sunset,

and slept soundly, unmolested by insect or mammal.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #3662
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats and such

(click for bigger)

Coming up -- do we make the convoy on time? Is the Top of the World closed for good? Will we ever see Tim and John and Chi again? stay tuned.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #3663
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
40 Mile

I'm envious that you went to 40 Mile, as much as I've read its history. That was the gold strike before the really big one, the Klondike.

poppawheelie screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 08:04 PM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #3664
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
awesome camping spot ... top of the world, edge of the water ... keep the reports coming Doc!!!
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #3665
suwee
Alledged Rookie

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Same bear, photos taken with a Canon 6DMkiv and a 600mm f1.2 lens
Is this for real or did I miss some glaringly obvious humor fly right over my head?
I can't imagine the size or cost of that piece of glass. Is it even produced?

Still enjoying a great adventure from you two. Keep it coming.
suwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #3666
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Meanwhile, it's hot as blazes, we're trying to find liquor and gas and groceries
In order of priority I presume?

PS suwee, I think he meant Canon's 600mm F/4. Although that's still a US$8000 piece of glass...
Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #3667
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
+1

I've read every post in this thread and that's my favorite camping spot. At the end of the road, middle of nowhere, perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPowered
awesome camping spot ... top of the world, edge of the water ... keep the reports coming Doc!!!
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #3668
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
In order of priority I presume?

PS suwee, I think he meant Canon's 600mm F/4. Although that's still a US$8000 piece of glass...
Actually, it was pure hyperbole. It was a modern canon slr with a long lens. I didn't get the actual specs of their gear.

I'm ready to fire up day 11...
Old 11-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #3669
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 11, Monday August 16, 2010

It was looking to be another banner day weatherwise.

As LDF wandered around taking photos of the town being restored,

I struggled to get my ass in gear.

I never like looking at my watch on these trips, but we had a convoy to catch... 10am at the Jack Wade junction... or else.

If it weren't for the mosquitoes, I'd have stayed there a week .
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #3670
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Thanks again for another great report.

Until someone has been there, there is no way to understand what the mosquitoes are like in Canada and Alaska. They can cover the back of your bare hand so it looks as if you have a glove. The good only thing is Dengue Fever and Malaria are not a problem there.

Looking forward to your next installment.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #3671
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fresh

full of energy and focus, LDF cleared the technical section cleanly.

when we got to the "Jackass Bridge", I just had to stop and record it.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #3672
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Riding the road

out of Clinton Creek back to the T 'o TW was lovely,

except I started to notice that the sky was getting a little "funny"

After the easy water crossing,

we climbed back onto the ridge, and could see what we were headed into.

Sorry about the weather-related obsession, but it was a bit more than "oh no, we're going to get wet" whining. Three issues were coming to bear -- first, the top of the world is a great place to be until the lightning starts flying; second, if we were going to get bogged down in rain and mud, we would be late and miss the convoy across the construction area; and third, if we missed that convoy, the next one might be canceled if the road got washed out again.

grrr.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #3673
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back at the corner

where we'd met the ADV'r on the KTM the afternoon before, LDF checks her rear-view mirror, activates her turn signal, and checks both ways twice before proceeding.

this pretty well sums up what we're getting into:

it's about 9am alaska time, which means we've got an hour to cover the 26 miles to the border, get through the border, and then ride the few (5? 12?) miles to where the convoy leaves from.

I'm doing math in my head...

it's gonna be tight.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #3674
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Drama

the lighting was dramatic, nicely matching the suspense of whether or not we'd make it to Chicken today...

as we got closer, it was like riding straight into a tidal wave just before it breaks, black clouds towering overhead.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #3675
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped

to put on our rain gear.

I wanted to tie myself to a mast.

Not many photos of the next 45 minutes or so...

I couldn't manage riding one-handed with the rain and wind... but I did take video.

"Lobster boy will protect!"