Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
1973 yamaha rt 360 build

This will be an intro for me as well as a first thread. I love all types of bikes street dirt and all things in between! I have worked at a yamaha/honda dealership for 18 yrs and loved every second of it I have restored a few bikes over the years and am currently working on 3. This thread will be on the RT I bought off a buddy that didnt have the time to deal with it (not that I have the time)but I just cant turn away a good bike
This bike has been sitting for around 20yrs and when I got it home I took the carb off first thing and to my surprise it was dry as a bone and clean as could be inside!! So I cleaned the outside up and reinstalled it Then it was onto the tank It had a liner that was around 25 yrs old and looking loke it, it had started to dissolve into the petcock . I jumped the gun alittle and took the tank to be lined and started to clean out the petcock. Then I got the tank back and checked for spark and their wasnt any so I checked the coil and it looked like the wire was alittle corroded at the plug so I clipped it back a 1/4 inch and their was a good spark!! Well I installed some gas a new plug and some new oil and kicked it over a few times with the switch off just to get things moving and then looked around for someone to come watch as this relic was about to come to life!! The only person I could find was the wife so I coaxed her into coming out to watch and in one good kick the thing actually started!!!!!!!! I was so stoked!!! Then my wife said hey it looks like its smoking bad .... I tried to shift ti first and the thing took off,,,,,,the clutch was stuck No big deal the fibers were still available so I replaced them and its a good runner now!!!
So I decided to turn my attention to a few cosmetic things like the bars they were nothing but rust so I replaced them with factory new ones! Then I cleaned up the wheels and hubs as well as the forks and shocks .I cut the old narrow footpegs off and welded up some new mounts to fit some moose wides.. Then ordered a seat cover and foam from ceet I gotta say Im not to happy with it Its just to tall so Im contemplating cutting it down to the stock height....Well sorry for the long winded story, but I just wanted to get you all caught up to where Im at with this one..
Ill have pics in a few min....
crawler07 is offline   Reply With Quote