Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Super Sport OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
The flats of ND, SD, MT; any fun routes?

I'm planning a solo trip from WI thru MN, ND, MT, ID, then home via WY, SD, MN, WI. Can suggest dirt roads on the great plains sections? I can find some fun stuff around Roosevelt Natl Park and the Black Hills and western MT and all of ID, but don't know how to get dirty on those long straight sections of ND, SD and eastern MT.

I'm leaving from Madison and my only mandatory stops are Billings and Pocatello. Going solo on a KLR, so not interested in difficult single track, just dirt roads that I can putz along on. Thanks!
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by raxelson
I'm planning a solo trip from WI thru MN, ND, MT, ID, then home via WY, SD, MN, WI. Can suggest dirt roads on the great plains sections? I can find some fun stuff around Roosevelt Natl Park and the Black Hills and western MT and all of ID, but don't know how to get dirty on those long straight sections of ND, SD and eastern MT.

I'm leaving from Madison and my only mandatory stops are Billings and Pocatello. Going solo on a KLR, so not interested in difficult single track, just dirt roads that I can putz along on. Thanks!
Feel free to hit me up when you are in Poky. Warm food, cold beer, laundry, moto tools and tent space (floor or futon space this time of year).

Pack warm.
Flashmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Super Sport OP
Adventurer

Thanks, Flash! Will be staying at relatives on Buckskin Road, but would like to talk to you about local rides.

Please let me know if you know of good routes out of Pocatello towards Billings or Wyoming, though.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,501
FlashMo is good peeps! Other than he has a pic of my wiener!

WI to MT......there are FUCK TONS of dirt roads. google and look at some maps for tiny roads.

Do not go NOW... way too fucking cold and the mid level elevations are getting snow. Only thing to keep me from heading back to MT next month is that.

SO I will probably head to San Diego and up to central Shakey
Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Flashmo
Whatever...

I'm not far from Buckskin, just up by the Fairgrounds.

TT is right, snow is coming this way. Intermittent snow at 5000' around here this week (we are at 4500-4700').

The East part of the Tour of Idaho (T2) would take you from Pocatello to Alpine, WY, but you will have to check elevations. Routing info is at http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TIDEW.htm

There are good rides all around this area locally. Dirt in the mtns (out there yesterday and all was good), depending on the weather, or head out into the desert if snow threatens up higher. Gotta see Big Southern Butte if the skies are clear.

edit: Daytime temps are still in the upper 40's to mid 50's, while night temps are high 20's to low 30's for the last week.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Flashmo
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
FlashMo is good peeps! Other than he has a pic of my wiener!

WI to MT......there are FUCK TONS of dirt roads. google and look at some maps for tiny roads.

Do not go NOW... way too fucking cold and the mid level elevations are getting snow. Only thing to keep me from heading back to MT next month is that.

SO I will probably head to San Diego and up to central Shakey
TT, I picked up a V-Strom in Camas, WA this week and have been riding the piss out of it since. Totally different world than the SuperTouring CBR.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Super Sport OP
Adventurer

I'm not riding out until June. Gonna see the World Superbike races in SLC while viviting the relatives. Still hope to catch up with you to learn more about the local rides.

I'll check out the route to or from Alpine. I was kinda thinking about going back that way.

Still wondering how to get dirty in eastern ND and SD.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Flashmo
Whatever...

You might want to post something in the Central forum for the real details on these areas for dirt.