Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #3676
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
It doesn't suck

much worse than this...

running late, riding a ridge, in driving rain, high wind, in lightning, with knobby tires.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #3677
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
You guys ROCK!! no pun intended.

This is better than ANY T.V. show!! the suspense is killing me :)

Charlie and Ewan could learn a thing or two from you

Classic stuff.
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #3678
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
free drive through bike wash ... and your bikes looked like they were long overdue!!!
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #3679
HeadedWest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18

I *love* this photograph. Trouble ahead, no way out but forward.
HeadedWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #3680
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we get to the border,

and we go through the usual schtick...

helmets off. passports handed over.

"is the video cam turned off?"

"Of course"

"where are you going?"

"nature of your visit?"

yadda yadda...

The agent hands back our passport, and I ask what he knows about the convoy. "Well, it leaves 12 miles from here, at 10 am. That gives you just under 15 minutes. I don't think you're going to make it."

"Shit." I say under my breath. "We gotta hustle... I thought it was only 4 miles from the border."

The rain has slacked up a bit, but the road surface is much rougher on the U.S. side.

We started REALLY hauling ass.

all the while, brainstorming how we would get through the road closure if the convoy was gone.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #3681
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The moment of truth....

I gotta admit, the stress level was pretty high, and I apologize for the profanity that slipped past my lips.

If it's any consolation, my internal dialog is generally 10 times worse than what I'm saying at any given moment.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Ms. Slacker underpaid construction work road guarder. ("you didn't see me, I'm in the woods") It is GREAT to be back in the US of A, where you can reliably depend on people not doing their jobs 100%! And I mean that in the best possible way
Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #3682
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we fall in to the back of the convoy

... and before long, they wave us up to the front with the other motorcycle riders... where we reunited with Tim & John

good times! Palpable relief.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #3683
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got an up-close look

at the flooding damage...

The pilot car was motoring at a steady 15-20mph LDF was itchin' to pass.

God that would have been fun to ride at speed with the knobbies... oh well.

It was easy to see how the road would suffer the warmer and wetter climate... permafrost shifting around,

rockslides,

The skies started to clear a little, and after all the excitement of the storm, and the drama of catching the convoy, this was turning into a real yawner.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #3684
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I tried to keep myself entertained

taking a few pictures...

and video,

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #3685
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we get

even closer to Chicken,

there's a general consensus among the motorcycle members of the convoy...

and there it is... Chicken, AK... calling us back.

...our triumphant return.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #3686
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We set out our gear

to dry...

emptied our bladders, and filled our tanks.

had a laugh with the staff,

A more flattering photo of Susan Wiren, Town of Chicken owner.

and a group shot of our little traveling band before we went our separate ways.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #3687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were back to the weather

we'd woken up to... crazy, isn't it, to think this was the same day.

back on the Taylor highway,

we anticipated an uneventful paved ride down to Tok

where we'd get provisions, and then head down the Tok cutoff highway as far as we could get to set ourselves up to ride out on Nebesna road into the Wrangel-Elias National Park.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #3688
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were treated to

a clear view to Mt. Sanford.

(Not Mt. McKinley at 20,320 ft. high and 273 miles away as I originally thought).

As far as I can tell in the photo below (taken from 3584 ft. elevation), the jagged range on the horizon, is about 5000 feet elevation, and 50 miles away. For reference, the big scoop of whipped cream on top (Mt. Sanford), is 16,237 ft. high, and ONLY 116 miles away.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 11:10 AM
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #3689
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Supporting my theory

that on mobius trips only ONE piece of fecal matter at a time can impact the rotary ventilation device... we're riding on pavement, the weather is fabulous, the road is not closed, we have plenty of gas...

so... I hear Blueberry's engine rev. LDF says "Something happened to my transmission, I can't accelerate, it feels like the bike isn't in gear" and she pulls of to the side.

I immediately have an idea of what happened. "See if your bike still has a chain"

"It's gone. What happened?"

We inspect the motor to see if it's been cased, and thankfully it hasn't.

I double back to find the chain, which I do:

I take a close look at the broken link. This is a heavy duty chain, but the beating it had taken before we'd discovered the loose upper roller bolt had taken it's toll.

I could feel where the edge of the link had rolled over and created a sharp edge which had torn the o-ring and allowed grit to enter. The rest of the links were battered as well, but none seemed to be sticking or showing the same rolled lip. We were about 8 miles from Tok.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #3690
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The good news

was that I had everything I needed to fix the problem right there.

I filed down the lip from the remaining links;

and got to work.