Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #3691
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The best part of the job

was watching the road,

as a helmet-less pirate,

on a ratty HD with leather side bags and a bedroll,

fishtailed through the gravel, doing about 15mph, headed towards Chicken...

right past us without stopping...

about 5 minutes after that,

a HUGE semi-trailer truck roared past, clocking about 80mph, kicking up an immense dust cloud...

about 5 minutes after THAT, the Harley rider passed again,

now riding the opposite direction, back towards Tok, tail between his legs... And still didn't stop to make sure his moto-brethren were doing OK. We waved as he went by...

LDF said he probably didn't see us since he was so focused on not crashing on the way up, and suffering from PTSD on the way back. We had a big laugh over that.

Total stop time, 45min.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #3692
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tok

was starting to feel too familiar. We'd been here about 10 times it seemed.

We picked up the usual booze and groceries,

and started heading south. The weather started getting crappy again,

and we started thinking of finding somewhere to throw down the anchors.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #3693
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading south

we passed more and more civilization... parked on the side of the road:

When we got to Nabesna Road, it was starting to sprinkle, and we pulled into the first place we saw, the Hart D Ranch B&B run by Bronze sculptor Mary Frances DeHart.

The ranch is for sale... so if you're interested, here's a link.

Ms. DeHart was a lovely hostess, and we had a comfy and warm (and DRY) night.

yum.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 03:33 AM
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #3694
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
now riding the opposite direction, back towards Tok, tail between his legs... And still didn't stop to make sure his moto-brethren were doing OK. We waved as he went by...

what a d-bag.

I'm saving this one for Friday when it's open season on HD riders.

This must've been where some thought you'd turned around due to the road being closed. Glad to hear it wasn't anythign worse. Ever thought of installing some chain oilers? I've had great success with my Scottoiler. My VFR's chain is currently at 41k miles.

Keep it coming you two.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #3695
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats and such:

(click for bigger version)

Next up, Nabesna Road out and back, and down towards Kennecott mine.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #3696
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,308
Doc, what brand is that chain breaker?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #3697
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
...Ever thought of installing some chain oilers? I've had great success with my Scottoiler. My VFR's chain is currently at 41k miles. Keep it coming you two.
How's it goin' Julie? Why aren't you in Moab with the NYC crew seein' as yer in the hood?

I HAVE been giving some thought to the Scottoiler, or at least some occasional lubrication and maintenance. Seriously, I have. I don't think that would have helped in this case, though, since it was mechanical pounding from the loose chain roller bolt, not regular wear that lead to the failure of that one link. We put almost another 600 miles on that chain and it's doing fine. I reversed the orientation and flipped it over with the hope that maybe it will last longer and the hammered plates will wear different (slower, I hope?)
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #3698
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog
Doc, what brand is that chain breaker?
Chris,
It's the MotionPro T-6 super-light chain tool. Lists for $75, but you can pick them up for $64. Doesn't press rivets, but otherwise works PERFECTLY to break links and to press plates.

Seriously, it's a beutiful, precision tool, and paid for itself right there... no muss, no fuss, it just does the job.

When I mount a chain in the shop, I use the DID knock-off rivet tool from Mike'sXS ($25), but in the field, it's all clip-masters, all the time. I carry 4-6 spare links for splicing (if necessary), and at least TWO clip masters.

Shoot, if you're not gonna maintain a chain properly, you better be damn sure about repairing them in the field. I ain't no dummy.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #3699
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,376
Quote:
How's it goin' Julie? Why aren't you in Moab with the NYC crew seein' as yer in the hood?

I HAVE been giving some thought to the Scottoiler, or at least some occasional lubrication and maintenance. Seriously, I have. I don't think that would have helped in this case, though, since it was mechanical pounding from the loose chain roller bolt, not regular wear that lead to the failure of that one link. We put almost another 600 miles on that chain and it's doing fine. I reversed the orientation and flipped it over with the hope that maybe it will last longer and the hammered plates will wear different (slower, I hope?)
Why not remove the top chain roller altogether? it's a common mod precisely due to this scenario. There are cheaper alternatives to the scottoiler if you get one that isn't automatic. Like the loobman. Catfish over at Farklemasters carries them and he's in Long Island. He's a good dude.

All is well over here in the desert. Wish you guys could've made it down here when you traveled to Flag.

and please don't talk to me about those nancies in dresses out in Moab.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #3700
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,817
Quote:
Looks like something for ThereIFixedIt.com
Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #3701
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
When we got to Nabesna Road, it was starting to sprinkle, and we pulled into the first place we saw, the Hard D Ranch B&B run by Bronze sculptor Mary Frances DeHart.

The ranch is for sale... so if you're interested, here's a link.

Ms. DeHart was a lovely hostess, and we had a comfy and warm (and DRY) night.
Here's another link to this $3.5M property: http://www.homefinder.com/AK/Slana/6...rt_D_Ranch_Hwy

Great report - it gives me a better sense of what my parents were seeing this past summer!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #3702
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,437

Francine will likely hold the background spot on my dual 24" monitors @ work for the foreseeable future. Love the shot. To continue the sentiment of another poster:

"The only way out is through"
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #3703
BKawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Finally caught back up...

Fantastic report for this leg as well.

Pictures are totally amazing! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Can't wait for the rest of Mobius - Canada/Alaska Edition.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #3704
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,478
There are two trains of thought when it comes to chains.
  1. Lube and clean them very often, often using a scott oiler or something along that line. All the wet lubricant usually attracts dust and wears out the chain.
  2. Leave your chain dry, only lubricating and cleaning it once in awhile, and it doesn't attract as much dirt.
This same discussion is had in the Moutain Bike community. I go with the dry chain theory.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #3705
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
There are two trains of thought when it comes to chains.
  1. Lube and clean them very often, often using a scott oiler or something along that line. All the wet lubricant usually attracts dust and wears out the chain.
  2. Leave your chain dry, only lubricating and cleaning it once in awhile, and it doesn't attract as much dirt.
This same discussion is had in the Moutain Bike community. I go with the dry chain theory.

David
Yeah, With modern o-ring chains that the grease inside I've been in the "keep it dry and clean" camp, and change it when it starts to go. I get a consistent 5000miles that way. I always considered that the "keep it wet and lubed" strategy would yield only a marginal increase in longevity at the expense of a messy pain in the ass.

Lately, though, I've been re-evaluating my strategy as I've been hearing about some almost unbelievable chain life-spans from multiple people who I know are riding dirty. Still on the fence, but leaning towards the lube. Just gotta sort out what will be the best system for us... KISS principle uber alles.