Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
SamH OP
90S on the bench

Oddometer: 435
RaceTech emulators in an Airhead - Help...

I've just finished installing a set of RaceTech Cartridge emulators in my R90. I installed 90kg springs whilst I was at it as suggested by the dealer. After a bit of reading around I found installation instructions for the airhead forks and followed those (Cut the top off the damper rod, remove the check ball and spring, drill out the bottom holes and add two more, pvc spacers etc.)

Now my forks feel like they're damn neer rigid... I mean I read that you can expect "Sports bike firm" forks but... I dunno, they're HARD and they don't seem to have any small bump compliance.

I don't know if anyone on here's installed these things but if someone has, could you list your install process and any observations you might have on the feel afterwards?

Hope someone can help

Sam
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
I had a set of race tech emulators put in my airhead racer. OK , it has Marzocchi forks , but they used 10.5 kG/cm springs and when it arrived, it was far too stiff.
I consulted another Race Tech place and they said to use 8.5 kg/cm springs.
They improves things but the compression damping had been set too hard. The installer should have given you a spec sheet. Mine said that the compression damping was set at 3 turns, so I backed it off by two turns and it's good now.
The 8.5 springs are about right.
I think ( and you need to check) that they measure the turns from when there's no preload on the spring.

pommie john screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 03:33 AM
pommie john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Oh yeah. The first job was done in Melbourne. He's totally useless.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
The springs you have fitted is likely to be the 0.9 kg/mm or 9 Nm spring.
These are not progressive so the springs will be very stiff even over small bumps. You must look at it this way; it's a small trade of for firmer braking and handling.
If you find the springs still to hard you can add a shorter spring on top of the Race Tech spring. This spring must not be longer than the spacer but can be shorter. Reduce the spacer length by the same as the newly installed spring length.

Remember the more coils, the softer the spring will be.
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
SamH OP
90S on the bench

Oddometer: 435
All good points. I know that the forks will be considerably firmer but I don't know, they seem realy stiff. It could just be that they're so different. There's enough good press for the RaceTech gear that I'm sure I'll get it sorted.

I realilsed that I haven't checked the fork alignment yet either, that may be adding some resistance.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
How long is your pvc spacer? I ask cause I got my racetechs and am unsure how much to cut the preload spacer.
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Simplest thing: Check the oil level. If it's got too much in they can hydro lock.

Try taking most of the preload out of the emulator. Just use 1 turn or so.

And, yes, check the sag and see what you're preload is.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
I had the same issue with mine (too much on the stiff side) and experimented with stock spring, spring pre-load (different length spacers) and oil weight. Starting with Race Techs recommendation, I ended up with 1in shorter spacers, 1.25 rev out setting of the goldvalve and 7 weight oil. That made me a very happy camper.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote