Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
I should have also added that a good map is available t any of the visitor centers. I also downloaded maps from here http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps/ so that I could print them in 4 parts and make notes on them etc

Thanks Rog

Several of us where planing this trip back in August and for no good reason the plans of mice and men failed. I had originally calculated it would probably run each of us around $1,200.00 [gas, food and lodging]. So when I saw you where able to do it for $160.00 I started getting happy again. . I went out and got some gear to add to what I already had [light weight 2man tent just for myself like the room]. We where planing to do the camping thing, to econmize as much as possible, and take 6 - 7 days. I just like the idea you just went and did it, and did it well. Kick my self in the butt now. I WILL make the trip this summer even if I go by myself. Thanks Again
Riff
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #47
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Got to subscribe.

This is part of the big ride I am planning. After I get the kids out of college.

Too bad my oldest is four....
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #48
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed
This is part of the big ride I am planning. After I get the kids out of college.

Too bad my oldest is four....
haha Dont wait my friend, life is too short.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #49
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
^Well said.

Thanks for the report, I never tire of riding the BRP and the area roads.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #50
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Very nice.

I've ridden the northern end a couple of times.
The last time I went the road was in the clouds
so I really didn't see anything.
Still had fun though.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #51
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Well, I have been fortunate to have seen about half the world, and 47 of the lower 48, simply because of jobs that required lots of travel. Now, I am fortunate to have three beautiful, happy, and healthy children and a wife that (although I sometimes want to scream) I am happy to be with.

So yeah, I'm kinda screwed as far as lots of solo travel time is concerned, but to hear the joyful laughter of your own children is well worth the trade-off.

So, If I'm really lucky, in another 17 years I'll be able to make up for lost time. In the mean time...
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #52
Tigerstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Did the parkway weekend before Labor Day. Started at Front Royal and Finished at Cherokee. Best ride in the world. I had the road to myself from Saturday through Sunday noon when I hit Asheville.
Including the 9 hrs on the interstate Friday I spent 29 hrs riding and had sore kidneys for a week.
Will do it again next year if i can.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #53
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
Several of us where planing this trip back in August and for no good reason the plans of mice and men failed. I had originally calculated it would probably run each of us around $1,200.00 [gas, food and lodging]. So when I saw you where able to do it for $160.00 I started getting happy again. . I went out and got some gear to add to what I already had [light weight 2man tent just for myself like the room]. We where planing to do the camping thing, to econmize as much as possible, and take 6 - 7 days. I just like the idea you just went and did it, and did it well. Kick my self in the butt now. I WILL make the trip this summer even if I go by myself. Thanks Again
Riff
1200 dollars for 6 days is $200 per day; it's pretty hard to spend two hundred dollars a day if you are camping!

Figure you'll probably ride 300 miles per day, at 50 mpg, that is 6 gallons, or about 20 bucks. If you buy one hot meal a day, that's probably $10-20, plus $10 more for the food you pack. Plus a camping fee of something like $10-20 per night. All told, $50-$70 per day, depending on where you sit on each item. That's $300-$400 for the whole trip, per person. If you want to get a motel/cabin one night, you might spend $500 per person, but still, $1200 each is STEEP.

For what it's worth, I have done the BRP one-way from Philadelphia once (2 days, skipped some sections for highway), and a loop down to the NC border and back in 3 days total. I'd definitely do it again, and do the whole thing, and I think $50 per day would be the most I would spend.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #54
AlanSets
I wanna ride!!!

Oddometer: 31
bEAUTIFUL PLACE, NICE PICS, REGARS FROM MEXICO
AlanSets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #55
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks folks....glad you enjoyed
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #56
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
kpt4321 / 1200 dollars for 6 days is $200 per day; it's pretty hard to That's $300-$400 for the whole trip, per person. If you want to get a motel/cabin one night, you might spend $500 per person, but still, $1200 each is STEEP.

For what it's worth, I have done the BRP one-way from Philadelphia once (2 days, skipped some sections for highway), and a loop down to the NC border and back in 3 days total. I'd definitely do it again, and do the whole thing, and I think $50 per day would be the most I would spend.

Thanks KPT.... This makes a lot of sense. Yours is more in line with the trip I had envisioned to begin with. There were Several in the group [of about five] who claimed they couldn't do the camping thing for health reasons, and then I believe they are looking at three square meals a day eating out, and you can see where costs where beginning to sky rocket. I think the group is going to get a lot smaller, probably say uhmmmm campers only . No I couldn't leave anyone behind who wanted to go, but they will definitely have to make some concessions, and those of us who want to economize by camping would.

Do you do a lot of route planning ahead of time [I mean looking things up on the internet and making that a goal to stop at those locations], or just go and stop when and where you want?

Thanks for your wisdom
Riff
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #57
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSets
bEAUTIFUL PLACE, NICE PICS, REGARS FROM MEXICO
I was cjecking out the pics in your sig Alan.. I can't understand anything in the text lol.. but like the pics.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #58
V-rock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I was planning a trip for last October with my brother and a friend. My friend crashed his bike (long story) and my brother cancelled for some last minute work. Next time I'm not waiting for anybody, I'm planning the trip to go alone.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #59
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-rock
I was planning a trip for last October with my brother and a friend. My friend crashed his bike (long story) and my brother cancelled for some last minute work. Next time I'm not waiting for anybody, I'm planning the trip to go alone.
Some things are easier when you go solo..ie stop when and if you want etc
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #60
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just got my end to ender certificate yesterday. If you do the whole prkway it is worth filling out the form. You get a certificate sticker and a little pin..pretty cool I think.