Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
tallnbig68 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Unable to obtain any form of travel insurance!

I am recovering from the effects of continued chemotherapy for both Non-Hodgkins Llymphona plus the effects of Lupus.
My motorcycle is to be fully insured in Ontario, and said insurance for the machine is valid in Canada.
It is also valid, with proper documentation from the issuing company for use in the Uuited Sates.

However am unable to obtain any form of traveller's health insurance, either from a private insurer
or from a company such as CAA/AAA. I have to be in full remission from the cancer or any other
disease for at least five years and have no recordable symptoms or problems due to any form of treatment.

I have checked with my automobile and motorcycle insuring companies as well as the company
insuring my residence. None of them will even risk insuring me for any trip to any foreign land.
So a vacation to the UK or Spain, from Canada without the motorcycle is also out of the question.
Medjet I have however, that of itelf may well not be enough coverage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-up
...Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yeah. Either go or don't go.
You want insurance for what - busted bones, organ transplants, infections?

There are many thousands of people riding the world without health insurance.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
1-up , Lone Rider summarizes your choice tersely but very accurately.
You say you do have Med jet insurance. I did not know how that worked so I just looked it up .I see that it should work quite well for you as it will take you back to Ontario where you have OHIP coverage, so in the event of a need arising you will have limited expenses. And the age limit is 75 so you have a few years elligibility left to travel.
I sympathise with you , being only one year younger than you .Twentysix years ago I was facing a somewhat similar but less severe issue and lucked out with a five year all clear and no need to claim /report anything to them related to that. CAA rates go up dramatically with age after 65 regardless..
Wish you the best and much travel.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Lone Rider

I did come off too abrupt and insensitive, but didn't mean it that way.
Apologies.
Your health, and the health of your family, is the greatest importance.
You've traveled roads and miles I have not.

With Medjet assist, you bought a ticket back to your homeland.

Best wishes to you, and great travels ahead.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
tallnbig68 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
No offence taken, eh?

Have a friend who has utilized MedJet twice, in different situations.
Hence decided given the monetary cost of medical care in the United States, and elsewhere if one does not have adequate monetary insurance,
then best cover most of the possibilities. Would expect my credit card
(in U.S. Funds for foreign travel) would help for the first bit, MedJet
for something far more difficult or yes, fatal.

Accidents happen, moreso when on a motorcycle.

Thanks.
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
In a similar boat, I went with a SPOT-2 GPS thingy- works like a champ, has options to just "check in OK", or call totally call for help via GPS, also a USA and Canada tow service that is dispatched with touch of a button from the same device- I take it on my bike trips, as I normally ride solo.

I will also use it for deer hunting, snowmobiling and ice fishing, as a means of telling the family my status, as well as being able to call for immediate local help, regardless of where I am or in case there is no cell service.

I like it.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Health insurance

Canadian Tire has a link to Travel Medical Insurance. http://www.travel-insurance-worldwid...avel-insurance There's a good chance they'll insure you. At least for the USA. They won't insure you if you travel to Mexico cuz Canada has a travel advisory for there.
Hope this works for you....
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Hey 1-up , just yesterday I caught a TV commerciall for this company
http://www.medipac.com/

The ad said that they would cover people with nearly most "pre existing conditions. Maybe you saw the ad also.
I read it and am still digesting the info,; check it out maybe it is affordable and just what you need- or is this one that you already got the negative answer from?
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" , as we used to say! Lots of people travel uncovered that have great policies otherwise,e.g., when I worked I had state provided health insurance that only covered emergencies out of state, much less for foreign travel. My son had stitches playing basketball in college out of state and it was a real hassle getting even that covered. Now, on Medicare part B I am covered when I travel (USA)the same as at home-go figure. I wonder what you get in an emergency room situation in Europe and other places?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
In the USA, if they cart you to a hospital, the hospital HAS to treat you. They can't refuse to give you the necessary medical care ... even if you tell them you are stone broke.

so if you have a minor biff of some sort, once fixed they will hand you a bill. Then you go down to the business office and make arrangements to send them what you can afford each month. Be it $20 or $200 or $2000 ......
Tis fact.

For breast implants, lap bands, hair plugs, and some other elective stuff, you'll be asked to open your wallet before they start chopping on you.

There are poeple who carry very, very low deductibles on insurance policies - health, home, auto, whatever. This is just plain stupid. Maybe unless it hails golf balls at your location a couple of times a month.

There are guided trips, offering attention to great degrees. Need a fresh, scented towel when you remove your helmet at a scheduled stop? Or go it alone with a custom-cut mattress, sized properly, and wrapped around you.

You can also rent and buy DVDs...and never have to mess... with the mess. This is the best deal going - short term or long term.

Put your handicaps in one side bag, and your dreams in the other. Pull from each one as you like.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Lone Rider

Quote:
Each place you might wish to sail to has a different % deductible, so you get to pick what level of risk you feel comfortable with taking on.
A novel idea.
Like...making your own decisions - you being in charge.

I hope your adveture riding west, and then back east, has been very good times.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Quote:
Was a good time ...

now have to go get my new bike .......
Is that a seat on the bike, or just smudge on the pic...
What does it weigh?
What is the fuel range...in meters?
What year is it?
Looks spiffy, really.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
1-up, I dealt with a similar thing.
My suggestion is to extend coverage to the US and explore both the US and Canadia until your 5 years lapses.
1. If you do have another problem with NHL, you don't want to be a million miles from home being treated in a hut.
2. The US and Canada offer some of the best riding and health care in the world. If you do have a spill, your compromised immunity from chemo (and the other wear and tear issues on your body) will make it worse for the next year or so.
In North America you have access to a polar cap, desert, lots of beaches, farm country, major world class cities (Van, NYC, Chicago, etc), and probably the best roads on planet Earf. There's plenty to do and see until you can get insured, if you can't feel good about riding to Patagonia uninsured.