Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Is Rossi the new Biaggi?

OK, I'm ready with the asbestos suit for this one

But, seriously, I've never known Rossi complain so much as in the last season or so.

For example, last week in Estoril he says Lorenzo has better grip, better power, and 'the 8 second gap is not real'. He bigs up Simoncelli, plays that dumb '46 wins' placard at the race before, and all-in-all looks like a racer who cannot admit his own mistakes.

When he lost a few races on the 'wrong' tyres (the Michelin/Bridgestone years), he said MotoGP was not a tyre championship, but now says his one-make tyres are somehow lesser versions that the ones his rivals use.

Puh-lease Vale.

Here's a further take; my 12-year old son has no real idea who Rossi is, but he's watched Lorenzo for two-plus seasons. My son has seen '300' and knows why Lorenzo wears a spartan-scarlet boot and a hoplite insignia on his x-lite helmet. In short, my son, with no interest in historical winners or marketing stars, roots for Jorge.

As do I

Rossi is a geat great champion, but it's time he at least admitted when he's beaten in a race, and not fall into the Biaggi trap of blaming everyone but himself. Rossi's legacy is way better than that, no?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
No asbestos needed. Max Biaggi is a reigning world champion. Rossi should do well enough. But you can buzz off any time it makes sense for you.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,917
I dont think Rossi will EVER whine as miuch as Max did. The 8 second quote by Rossi was just stupid. Rossi is loosing control slowly, slowly...
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
But you can buzz off any time it makes sense for you.
My 12-year old is the current & future fan of MotoGP, and his friends in France and Spain. It's not me, or you.

Just sayin'.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,415
I've finished sharpening my pitchfork.......

I'm a Rossi fan but that doesn't make him a god like figure, yes, he's had a bad year and there are new, strong riders rising through the ranks but that's what happens to all competitors, you get to the top until the next guy comes along.
I don't see his 8 seconds comment as whingeing, I read it as "if I didn't have a shoulder injury we would have been closer". Depends how you want to see it I suppose, he has always been ready to congratulate Jorge when he is beaten by him, what more do you want?

To compete at this level you have to expect the riders to have huge egos' and a great belief in themselves and no doubt they don't like admitting their mistakes. I suspect if they went about blaming themselves for every failure on the track they would be running last in a very short time.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Crisis you bring up a good point. Moto GP observers are immaturely too quick to jump all over riders for sounds bites taken out of context. They all whine to a certain extent. Then we all come on here and whine about who was whingeing worst, etc, etc.

Vale is super awesome. But he has shown a different side this year, shown his teeth a few times. He is almost human. Happens to the best of us.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
101N
peccavi

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
OK, I'm ready with the asbestos suit for this one

But, seriously, I've never known Rossi complain so much as in the last season or so.

For example, last week in Estoril he says Lorenzo has better grip, better power, and 'the 8 second gap is not real'. He bigs up Simoncelli, plays that dumb '46 wins' placard at the race before, and all-in-all looks like a racer who cannot admit his own mistakes.

When he lost a few races on the 'wrong' tyres (the Michelin/Bridgestone years), he said MotoGP was not a tyre championship, but now says his one-make tyres are somehow lesser versions that the ones his rivals use.

Puh-lease Vale.

Why don't you post this on motomatters.com.
Here's a further take; my 12-year old son has no real idea who Rossi is, but he's watched Lorenzo for two-plus seasons. My son has seen '300' and knows why Lorenzo wears a spartan-scarlet boot and a hoplite insignia on his x-lite helmet. In short, my son, with no interest in historical winners or marketing stars, roots for Jorge.

As do I

Rossi is a geat great champion, but it's time he at least admitted when he's beaten in a race, and not fall into the Biaggi trap of blaming everyone but himself. Rossi's legacy is way better than that, no?
Why don't you go post this on motomatters.com or speedzilla.com. Better venues for you.

"Why don't you post this on motomatters.com.
Here's a further take; my 12-year old son has no real idea who Rossi is, but he's watched Lorenzo for two-plus seasons. My son has seen '300' and knows why Lorenzo wears a spartan-scarlet boot and a hoplite insignia on his x-lite helmet. In short, my son, with no interest in historical winners or marketing stars, roots for Jorge."

As I said those other venues are better for 12-year olds.

101N screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 07:26 PM
101N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Hah, what? How many races has he missed this year? Sustained multiple injury's one of which needs surgery but he is resisting having surgery to stay racing when he cannot win the championship and doesn't even need to develop the bike anymore because he's not on it next year.

Estoril no one got to setup dry settings really and it was a dry race. Jorge who had a good setting last year used the same shit and it worked again. Rossi who had a bad race at estoril last year had to guess at his settings.

One race he makes a flippant comment about the 8 seconds thing and he's a whiner? He still congratulated Jorge after the race. He congratulated him when he locked the championship.

Jorge has had a stellar season, except for one race where Rossi put him in his place. Who whined after that? Who went to the Yamaha bosses after that?

WIth both having well set up bikes and being totally healthy, we'll see who turns into the whiner. Hint: It's Jorge.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Rossi would have to give back a lot of titles to turn into Biaggi.

I think his main problem was Yamaha choosing JLo over him. He is not the main man in the team and he knows it. This problem should be solved next year.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,424
Lorenzo has had the upper hand this year no doubt. From Rossi´s point of view, I think it looks a lot like another problematic year, 2007, when Stoner beat everybody (except this time he got beaten by his "teammate" on the same bike - and in 07 Rossi´s problems were more related to the bike & equipment, not health).

Three years ago there was a lot of similar talk, that now Rossi is getting too old, and Stoner´s the ´real deal´ (not denying that in a way he is, of course!).... but in the 3 seasons, that have passed, Rossi has taken 2 world titles, Stoner hasnt, and Rossi now holds a narrow lead on Stoner going into the last round.

So, it looks like Stoner only had that one very succesful season (not saying he can´t or won´t repeat it as early as next year). Remains to be seen, if Lorenzo will do a better job defending his title.

All in all I think one of the most important signs of a great champion is the will and ability to rise back to the top after troubled times.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
I dont think Rossi will EVER whine as miuch as Max did. The 8 second quote by Rossi was just stupid. Rossi is loosing control slowly, slowly...
Not aimed at you Craig, , but I'm kind of amused as to this 'Whining' thing.
I mean, journo's ask a question, and a rider answers it. (And is required to). I would think, given that these guys have been doing this shit for the best part of their lives, including post race yarns with their fellow riders, and crew, (and these days, mega 'electronic évidence' !!). Is it 'whining', or just answering a question? I mean, ya can't win EVERY time out. Shit happens, and at this level, it don't take much shit to put you down the back....
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
Who was the rider who said Max cried so much he should be sponsored by Kleenex?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE
Not aimed at you Craig, , but I'm kind of amused as to this 'Whining' thing.
I mean, journo's ask a question, and a rider answers it. (And is required to). I would think, given that these guys have been doing this shit for the best part of their lives, including post race yarns with their fellow riders, and crew, (and these days, mega 'electronic évidence' !!). Is it 'whining', or just answering a question? I mean, ya can't win EVERY time out. Shit happens, and at this level, it don't take much shit to put you down the back....
Excellent post! Top Marks!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
EisenWill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I've always been of the opinion that Max stayed in 250s too long. He should have moved up after his 1st, maybe 2nd championship. That way he could have maybe gotten that championship out of the way before Rossi moved into his head.
EisenWill is offline   Reply With Quote