Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #856
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
Palmer solved the turbulence, and it is a nice kit. I had the Madstad on the Tiger, and it worked also. Can't stand turbulence anymore (even wearing earplugs), my ears are about gone.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #857
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
Greg, back when I had V-Stroms, I read a bunch about the "Madstad" bracket which allowed movement of the shield. I never had one but wondered if you have or if yours for the Super Tenere is somewhat similar. I look forward to seeing it.

JDP
A whole lot better:
The transition from dirt/gravel to highway to around town riding can be done so simply its not funny.
The high guard looks like factory, not a bolt on after thought and whilst Greg is busting to post up pics, the mechanism of the WS adjuster is pure genius .
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #858
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds
A whole lot better:
The transition from dirt/gravel to highway to around town riding can be done so simply its not funny.
The high guard looks like factory, not a bolt on after thought and whilst Greg is busting to post up pics, the mechanism of the WS adjuster is pure genius .
Hope so Allords as i said in the other thread the TT screen adjuster looks cumbersome and bloody horrible.

I'll be interested to see the high guard, i'm buggered if i can see how you'd do it easily myself, oh and by the way, have you guys test rode the bike with the high guard fitted yet? Does it help to reduce the airflow coming from under the front and up under the bars? This airflow really affects the buffeting
Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #859
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
...if you want it gone, just say the word and i will nuke my messages about it :-)
I think he already said as much. Other threads please.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #860
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
the Word.....
Please

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 04:39 PM
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #861
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Luggage?

Hey waspman!

Are you thinking about doing anything on tuff luggage and mounting for them? I have looked at so many brands and most I see has a flaw or something that doesn't set right with me, mostly in the strength, space, and functionality department.
Looks are a nice extra but not a need when traveling to and from my destinations. I don't know why someone cannot do both?

Load, ride, unload, disconnect, camp, ride, re-connect, load and ride home.
ADVENTURE!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #862
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
the Word.....
Okay, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I think he already said as much. Other threads please.

- Mark
Nah just Nuked them, if people don't wanne know, why bother translocating?

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #863
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Okay, done.

Nah just Nuked them, if people don't wanne know, why bother translocating?
Thanks R3B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combo
Hey waspman!

Are you thinking about doing anything on tuff luggage and mounting for them? I have looked at so many brands and most I see has a flaw or something that doesn't set right with me, mostly in the strength, space, and functionality department.
Looks are a nice extra but not a need when traveling to and from my destinations. I don't know why someone cannot do both?

Load, ride, unload, disconnect, camp, ride, re-connect, load and ride home.
ADVENTURE!
My preference would be the BMW GSA type box to frame mount style and hinge and lock configuration, but with the SW-Motech Trax quick release frames.
The BMW GSA mounts look like one of the strongest and most idiot proof available. Same can be said about the lock and hinge mechanism.
I do however really dig the speed and ease of removing the SW-M Trax frames if no boxes are going to be used. It really is only a 15 second job to remove and safely store them leaving little sign of any mounts.

I will most definitely be modifying the position of my SW-M trax frames as, in my opinion, they sit too low and the top of the boxes would be better if they were level with the top of the pillion seat.

Greg.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #864
Shane Stump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Thanks R3B.

My preference would be the BMW GSA type box to frame mount style and hinge and lock configuration, but with the SW-Motech Trax quick release frames.
The BMW GSA mounts look like one of the strongest and most idiot proof available. Same can be said about the lock and hinge mechanism.
I do however really dig the speed and ease of removing the SW-M Trax frames if no boxes are going to be used. It really is only a 15 second job to remove and safely store them leaving little sign of any mounts.

I will most definitely be modifying the position of my SW-M trax frames as, in my opinion, they sit too low and the top of the boxes would be better if they were level with the top of the pillion seat.

Greg.
Greg,

Let us know when your "traveling" workshop is coming to the States ! There should be plenty of work for you by next summer!!!!

This thread should be on one of the "DIYS" networks!

Keep up the GREAT work!

Shane
Shane Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #865
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #866
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

A new GPS mount - Ohh,,, and a screen adjuster update.

I am in the middle of prototype screen adjuster road testing and it is going really well.
So many degree's of adjustment simply does your head in.

Mike was over a few nights ago helping install the proto adjuster and got all woodie about the "bolt upright rallye position" (screen that is).
I gotta say it feels bloody good on the road, no more compromise, if the current position doesn't suit, just adjust two levers and pick a new one.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday running around (only did about 100kms) with the OEM clear screen fitted, and rode about 120kms today with the Calsci tinted shorty fitted on the adjusters.
Not surprisingly I found the two screens produced different results on the same settings. I was very encouraged however to find that even the short Calsci screen showed amaising results when I got the angle and height correct.
Both screens can now be adjusted to give an absolute buffer free ride, AND, for the first time, I can actually hear my front tyre on the road..
I ride with an Arai-X3. Super comfy but Super noisy.

Anyway, testing will continue but I have (last night) initiated a batch of laser cut plates and will be able to start assembling (and finally show you) the production version.

The GPS mount.
I have a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx fitted onto a Touratech rubber isolated locking cradle. I love both of these bits of gear but had been struggling as to where I should mount it.
I originally had a RAM mount holding the TT cradle in place but was forever taking the GPS off for fear of it being ripped off one day.
The position was also far from ideal as I could not see the left hand blinker signal and got caught with it left on quite a few times.

Long story short, is that I finally got around to laser cutting and pressing a stainless centre mount for it today.
I had previously checked the TT and SW-M mounts but they were both a large compromise for how I wanted to see it fitted.
I wanted the GPS to mount exactly in the middle of the top bar clamps so that I could see the whole instrument cluster + idiot lights + indicator warnings.

One purdy stainless mount.

GPS fitted

View from the drivers seat. Purfect,, No wondering eyes, No incorrect viewing angles, just spot-on. And strangely enough, it's always in the same spot... Doesn't move when you turn the bars.

From the back.

With the Yammy tank bag (taller than the SW-M) fitted.
The angle is perfect to view the whole screen and the bottom buttons.

Greg.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #867
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
GPS mount looks great Greg. Really looking forward to more info and pictures of the screen mount. Especially with shorty, oem and Calsi touring screen mounted with it tilted back to see the extent of tilt capability. Thanks for the work!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #868
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStar
GPS mount looks great Greg. Really looking forward to more info and pictures of the screen mount. Especially with shorty, oem and Calsi touring screen mounted with it tilted back to see the extent of tilt capability. Thanks for the work!
The best position I found today for the tinted shorty with the screen at its lowest height, was with the bottom swung forward so the bottom point was vertically in line with the face of the headlight. This gave about a two inch gap under the lower front which balanced the air flow out beautifully.
It looked really nice too as the line from the headlight cover (goldfish eyes) blended back along the screen at a nice rake.
I rode about 60kms with this configuration today (very blustery winds in Perth) from city traffic to 130kph country cruising.
The low vertical (rallye) position is quieter than OEM but has the very slightest buffet while the high vertical removes the buffet even with this tinted shorty screen.

It will be different for individuals styles, height's, screens types etc, but you will be able to find your own happy place with this adjuster.

Greg.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #869
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Greg, two things from me. First, it sounds as if your bracket might obviate (gotta love big words) a need for an aftermarket windscreen and just use with the OEM screen. Or does it work better with the medium Calsi screen?

Second, do you plan to make the GPS mount with some kind of side adjustments so different GPS units will fit? I am using a Ram mount for a Nuvi 500 since I don't use all the bells and whistles of the Zumi units etc. But your mount looks to fit mainly your GPS, thus the question. Great work BTW. Keep it up. Do you need a Yank for a testor ???? No pay required, but products only .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #870
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
Great to hear these good results you are getting with mount in the lowest position with the screen bottom tilted forward about two inches.
This is what I was expecting to hear as I have a similar setup with my Strom and a fairing mount mini screen. The gap at the front allows for a nice flow of air behind the screen to buffer the airflow over the screen giving a nice smooth transition and putting your helmet in smooth flowing air.

I will probably use this setup most of the time. Do look forward to your results with the OEM screen and med Calsi as you test them further.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote