User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
"A" OP
numbum

Oddometer: 366
Photo of Hyde Racing Skid Plate

Does anyone have a photo of a Hyde Racing skid plate on an F 650 GS or F 800 GS ? Their website only shows the LHS. When I click for the RHS image it shows something on a different brand of machine. I have this product on my 650X and it is a good thing so am considering putting one on my F 650.
"A" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
ask and ye shall receive.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,682

Don't know how much it actually helped, I added to aluminum plate to the under side of the skidplate.

Between the edges being sandwiched between the crash bars and the engine block and the aluminum it is rigid enough to use as a jacking point without any flex.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
"A" OP
numbum

Good work, thankyou gentlemen. I assume the holes are to help with airflow around the header pipes. The Hyde plate on my G650X fits over the OEM aluminium plate and has done a good job. I will purchase one for my F650GS now. It doesn't have any form of skid plate but I assume Hyde Racing supply all mounting hardware.
"A" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Just one thing. The Hyde unit only is only attached with the 4 bottom bolts. It does not use the front mount like the stock one on the 800. So it does have some flex in the front. Since that is the area that covers the oil cooler and filter was a reason for the extra aluminum. Can't tell from the picture, but it rolls up about 1 inch and adds some strength.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm

Don't know how much it actually helped, I added to aluminum plate to the under side of the skidplate.

Between the edges being sandwiched between the crash bars and the engine block and the aluminum it is rigid enough to use as a jacking point without any flex.
That's a damn good idea itsatdm. Especially after reading that thread where that guy was riding in Africa at night and hit a rock at 60mph. It punched a huge freakin' hole in the bottom of his engine! Freaky!

Looks like your skid plate with additional plate would protect better against such an incident.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Just my opinion... that thing is really ugly, doesn't go with the lines of the bike at all
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I guess beauty is the eye of the beholder They actually follow the contour of the bike pretty well and they do give a little more ground clearance because of it.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 04:20 PM
Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
That's a damn good idea itsatdm. Especially after reading that thread where that guy was riding in Africa at night and hit a rock at 60mph. It punched a huge freakin' hole in the bottom of his engine! Freaky!

Looks like your skid plate with additional plate would protect better against such an incident.
No bashplate would have prevented that particular incident. He's 'ken lucky he still has a front wheel and a pulse, IMHO.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

I can't claim to have done any research on this, but I have encountered some posts about people with aluminum bash plates breaking the oil pan of the engine with hard hits. I would assume that means they have their bash plates hard-mounted to the engine mount points. I may be TOTALLY WRONG about that, but I know the Hyde plate is mounted with the stock rubber mounts, and it seems like that would 'guard' against that sort of disaster as they'd be likely to shear before the aluminum oil pan gave way. Certainly I've been happy with mine so far, and the nicks & gouges in it testify to it's functioning as intended. The only weak item has been those silicone rubber nubs intended to keep the plastic bash plate off the exhaust headers. I've ripped a few of them off by scraping over rocks. It also requires removal for oil changes.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
I can't claim to have done any research on this, but I have encountered some posts about people with aluminum bash plates breaking the oil pan of the engine with hard hits. I would assume that means they have their bash plates hard-mounted to the engine mount points. I may be TOTALLY WRONG about that, but I know the Hyde plate is mounted with the stock rubber mounts, and it seems like that would 'guard' against that sort of disaster as they'd be likely to shear before the aluminum oil pan gave way. Certainly I've been happy with mine so far, and the nicks & gouges in it testify to it's functioning as intended. The only weak item has been those silicone rubber nubs intended to keep the plastic bash plate off the exhaust headers. I've ripped a few of them off by scraping over rocks. It also requires removal for oil changes.
Virtually every OEM and aftermarket skid plate for the F800GS is mounted to the stock rubberized mount points. I've not seen or heard of one that isn't. This includes Wild@Heart, BMW standard plastic, BMW large aluminum, Hyde, Twalcom, Touratech, Adventure Spec, etc etc etc...
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Virtually every OEM and aftermarket skid plate for the F800GS is mounted to the stock rubberized mount points. I've not seen or heard of one that isn't. This includes Wild@Heart, BMW standard plastic, BMW large aluminum, Hyde, Twalcom, Touratech, Adventure Spec, etc etc etc...
+1. Every one I've seen. BUT - the fronts are all mounted plate to bracket to engine block. I think if I had my druthers, that is what I would like to see. Those rubber mounts aren't exactly super stout.

I'm still waiting to see a picture of someone with a damaged engine block due to a hard impact on a bash plate or crashbar. I think we have one report of damage during a totally catastrophic accident, but that single incident doesn't invalidate the entire approach to mounting plates or bars.