Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
The frame itself is a very stout piece, the other parts would be way more fucked up before it would be affected. You saw the pictures of my bent/broken forks right? I have since had the bike checked by GMD Computrack and it was all within factory specs.
Phew, that is quite a relief. I feel better about continuing knowing the frame is relatively sturdy, of course I will still be checking!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Check your welds! The frame is boron steel and very resistant to cracking. If it's bent, someone that knows what they are doing can bend it back but it needs to be done right. The welds are the only points I would worry about checking very carefully. Use a optical scope and go over each weld carefully.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hopefully within a few weeks I will be on a lava, white, beat up yellow, or a color of my choosing (I don't know any painters but I can finance some beer drinking sessions!).
If Weatherford isn't too far from you there is an awesome painter there. Mike Patterson at TGD (Totally Graphic Designs). He rocks. Tell him "Weeble" sent you.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

That looks downright awesome Lukas!

I'm seriously jealous of those forks!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Check your welds! The frame is boron steel and very resistant to cracking. If it's bent, someone that knows what they are doing can bend it back but it needs to be done right. The welds are the only points I would worry about checking very carefully. Use a optical scope and go over each weld carefully.
Cool! Boron steel is really neat, here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx...ite=kts&NM=214

Here is an excerpt from that article:

"The type of boron steel used on vehicles today has extremely high strength. The boron steel used on Volvo cars has a yield point of about 1,350-1,400 MPa (196,000-203,000 psi). That’s about four times stronger than average high-strength steel. But the process used to make it that strong takes away some of the steel’s workability properties, such as being able to straighten it."

By the way... what is an optical scope? When I searched for them I only got rifle scopes. Will my local BMW dealer be able to check my welds or should I strip my bike to the frame and bring it to my local foundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy
If Weatherford isn't too far from you there is an awesome painter there. Mike Patterson at TGD (Totally Graphic Designs). He rocks. Tell him "Weeble" sent you.
Good tip, hmmmm.... why does that name sound familiar?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
am at least 3 months away from being able to get on a bike again...maybe longer depending on healing/surgeries etc...

but i recon i'll end up with another 800
Just read your post on your close encounter with a kangaroo Glad to hear you are healing well. Do your PT and get back on an F800 soon!

I took a demo bike out for a ride a couple of weeks ago for my first ride since my fracture... It was great!

alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote