Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #3706
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKawa
Fantastic report for this leg as well.

Pictures are totally amazing! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Can't wait for the rest of Mobius - Canada/Alaska Edition.
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. And your patience... I'm plugging away at the next day.
d

While you're waiting, entertain yourself with some NSFW bear + hunter scenarios.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #3707
mohamer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great RR Doc

Hey Doc,
This is a great RR, I want to thank you for all the hard work on the pictures and write up.
I currently don't have a dirt bike, only ride a Goldwing. But, I think you have convinced me that I am missing too much.
Keep up the good work!
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #3708
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yeah, With modern o-ring chains that the grease inside I've been in the "keep it dry and clean" camp, and change it when it starts to go. I get a consistent 5000miles that way. I always considered that the "keep it wet and lubed" strategy would yield only a marginal increase in longevity at the expense of a messy pain in the ass.

Lately, though, I've been re-evaluating my strategy as I've been hearing about some almost unbelievable chain life-spans from multiple people who I know are riding dirty. Still on the fence, but leaning towards the lube. Just gotta sort out what will be the best system for us... KISS principle uber alles.
Like previously stated, my current chain on the VFR has +41 thousand miles on it. I've adjusted it once.
Not that I disagree with the principles of the dry chain crowd but I'm just going by what I know. The other factor to this is that the VFR sees very little dirt. So, could go either way but,this many miles and counting has made me a chain oiler believer.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #3709
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
what a d-bag.

I'm saving this one for Friday when it's open season on HD riders.

This must've been where some thought you'd turned around due to the road being closed. Glad to hear it wasn't anythign worse. Ever thought of installing some chain oilers? I've had great success with my Scottoiler. My VFR's chain is currently at 41k miles.

Keep it coming you two.
I had a flat that I couldn't repair on a dangerous stretch of highway in Nova Scotia two years ago. It was a Harley rider who came from the other side of the road to assist me. He spent 2 1/2 hrs. with me just to get off the highway,hooked me up with a mechanic,took me to buy a tire,and put me up for the night. I've had a Harley rider give me $ when he found out that I lost my wallet when I was on a camping trip with my daughter a few years back. I've got a few more,but I guess my point is we motorcyclist have enough grief being at odds with the non 2 wheel crowd without having to be at odds with other motorcyclist just because they don't fit into our mold. Not saying the guy wasn't a D-Bag for not stopping,but the emphasis seemed to be on the fact that he was a Harley guy,not another motorcyclist who was inconsiderate.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #3710
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. And your patience... I'm plugging away at the next day.
d

While you're waiting, entertain yourself with some NSFW bear + hunter scenarios.

so...wheres this guy who looks like me?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #3711
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
I had a flat that I couldn't repair on a dangerous stretch of highway in Nova Scotia two years ago. It was a Harley rider who came from the other side of the road to assist me. He spent 2 1/2 hrs. with me just to get off the highway,hooked me up with a mechanic,took me to buy a tire,and put me up for the night. I've had a Harley rider give me $ when he found out that I lost my wallet when I was on a camping trip with my daughter a few years back. I've got a few more,but I guess my point is we motorcyclist have enough grief being at odds with the non 2 wheel crowd without having to be at odds with other motorcyclist just because they don't fit into our mold. Not saying the guy wasn't a D-Bag for not stopping,but the emphasis seemed to be on the fact that he was a Harley guy,not another motorcyclist who was inconsiderate.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. But today is Friday. (it's a JoMomma thing)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #3712
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 12, Tuesday August 17, 2010

We woke up to a bright and sunny day on the Hart-D ranch. There was a chill in the air, like a crisp fall day. Kinda weird writing about it now, because here in NYC the season has finally caught up to what it was there in AK last August.

Today would be our first of two out-and-back side trips as we made our way back to Anchorage.

Our first goal would be to ride out to the end of Nabesna road, 42 miles of dirt.

The first few miles are paved. Here's the morning video update -- I gotta say, for some reason the video snips for this day really crack me up.

I think as we got closer to civiliztion I was able to lighten up and joke around more.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #3713
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Shortly,

we got onto the dirt, and could see the peaks of the Wrangell-St. Elias range in the distance.

Good thing we stopped to take some pichers...

"Getcher head in the game!"

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #3714
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were riding up into a valley

and on our left was another range, closer and smaller.

We were riding into both the sun, AND the clouds.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #3715
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What a great morning

really beautiful scenery along the way... fun riding, even a water crossing.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #3716
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,683
Wow, Doc -
those are gorgeous shots...
I love that last one.

Can't wait until I have the time to get caught up...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #3717
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Can't wait until I have the time to get caught up...
Back atcha! My biggest motivation in finishing writing up M6 is 'cause I've told myself no reading your guy's ride report 'till I'm caught up with ours.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #3718
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The bad weather

seemed to be hiding out deep in the big mountains. Before long we were at the end of the road.

We contemplated exploring past the "road closed" sign, (at least I did), but there were folks around, and we didn't want to piss anyone off. I mean, they've got guns out here. And I'm sure they know how to hide a couple of bodies... I assume that's what the planes are for.

So we turned the show around.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #3719
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

But we were stopped

in our tracks... by...
(this is probably my FAVORITE video of the trip)

Lorraine... What a doll! Highlight of our day.

That's her nephew there... "He don't say much".
Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3720
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We picked up the pace...

'Cause now, literally, we were...

Haulin' the MAIL!