User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #3721
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The clouds were

closing in from the left. The light was amazing and changing moment to moment.

We stopped and tried to capture the drama of the peaks in the sun, with the looming dark clouds in the sky above.

Almost...

close enough...

Giddy-up!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #3722
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Alaskan produce

it's a short growing season, but the days are long, so stuff grows mutantly big. Think Chernobyl meets Three-mile island.

Here's a typical Alaskan rock garden:

"...big business"
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #3723
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

we were riding

on a mission...

"Neither snow nor rain

nor heat nor gloom of night

stays these couriers

from the swift completion

of their appointed rounds"

That was my money shot album cover... oh well.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3724
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rest stop

tomfoolery.

"Don't look at me in that tone of voice."

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #3725
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'd like to take

this opportunity,

to thank our corporate sponsor...

"You can taste the adventure"

<-- if it isn't toxic, psychedelic popcorn popping, what is it?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #3726
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Then, after seven years,

I was sent home to my family.

And now, little man,

I give the watch to you.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #3727
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we headed south

on the Glenn highway, we ran into rain,

We pulled into Posty's Trading Post at Sinona Creek for gas and snacks, and to wait out the drizzles.

Posty's is super-clean, with bathrooms and laundry facilities, and is owned by a Korean family. The cousin from Brooklyn was manning the register. He had lost his Wall Street job at Merrill Lynch and was spending the summer working in AK. If felt just like home.

While we were sipping our hot chocolate, we flipped through the tourist mags and stuff on the card table. An advertisement for the AK ferry caught my eye. They had a 1-800 number listed. We decided to give a call and see if it would be feasible to take the ferry from Valdez to Whitier. I stepped outside to use the pay phone, and 4 minutes later we had two confirmed reservations for ourselves and our bikes on the 7am ferry two days later!

The only hitch. We needed to source tie-downs.

I can just hear Ariel saying "I told you so."
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #3728
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before anyone gets

too upset about our mispronunciation of Chitina... I'm of Italian descent, and in Italian, "ina" is pronounced "eena". In Athabaskan, it's pronounced " 'na" -- "Chit'na".

I didn't learn the correct pronunciation 'till Gary and Deb taught us on our return to Anchorage. I like languages, and try my best to speak the correct local pronunciation. My bad.

To be really proper linguistically, given that the word "na" means "river" in Athabaskan, any river's name that ends in "na" shouldn't need the word "river" after it. Unnecessary. Redundant. Hence, the Chitina, not the Chitina River. The Tanana. The Nebesna.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #3729
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomon
Lenticular clouds, also known as standing wave clouds, are really common in mountainous terrain. They are typically associated with high upper level winds. There was probably a cold front (southwest wind) approaching that day. The mountains push the air up, also known as orographic lifting. The moisture in the rising and cooling air condenses and that type of cloud forms. If you were to watch it, you would see that it is building on the windward side (west or soutwest) and dissapearing (entraining) on the leeward (east or southeast) side as the air descends and warms. Usually, when lenticulars (upper level winds) are seen, the next day will be very windy with surface winds.

When a winter cold front comes through, it is not at all uncommon for the Sierra Nevada to have gusts over 100 mph on the highest ridges. The associated wind slab snow has been described as "variable" by ski area marketing. How was the next day? I'll have to read on now. Rippin' effort on the ride report, thanks for sharing.
Gee,and I thought it was just a puffy white cloud?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #3730
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Last day riding... bringing it on in to Reno.

Notice the symmetrical valley/peak/valleys whenever we were above 6600ft. That was the snow-line.
I'm curious as to what program your using for your map source? I just downloaded google earth for free, but I don't see the detail your pictures show-are you using something different?
Did you use paper maps (like De Lorme) to get detail in order to route your trip,or just use the computer maps?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #3731
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
in our tracks... by...
(this is probably my FAVORITE video of the trip)

Lorraine... What a doll! Highlight of our day.

That's her nephew there... "He don't say much".
I don't know she looks like a trouble maker to me.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #3732
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
I'm curious as to what program your using for your map source?...Did you use paper maps (like De Lorme) to get detail in order to route your trip,or just use the computer maps?
Lefty,
Yes to all of the above. BaseCamp for mac, (those are screenshots of the map + track, and elevation profile for that day). Using a variety of City navigator, topographic, and freeware maps. I also cross-reference with googleEarth before we leave, carry paper maps as well depending on where we'll be. My favorite are the Benchmark series for western united states, and the Backroad series for Canada. We only take pages for where we'll be, cut them out, fold them in quarters, and keep them in a ziplock.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #3733
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I don't know she looks like a trouble maker to me.
You pretty much say that about everyone, don'tcha. Sell the yammy yet?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #3734
COUSIN DIRTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
DRZ questions,

Hello Doc and LDF, I am considering the purchase of a DRZ and i was just curious about the seat you all have on your bikes. I did search your other RR's but couldnt find the info i was seeking, so what do you suggest for a comfy seat for your bikes or any suggestions in general for a DRZ buyer? Also i was wondering once you retire your bikes what might be your next bike? BTW i really love your reports have followed all six and looking forward to more, feel like i know you guys! Thanks allot
COUSIN DIRTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #3735
bucky2
Touring on a Ninja.

Oddometer: 114
Meeting Lorraine

Lorraine: "What a polite young man that was, who stopped and talked with me and offered to take my letter to the post office."

You will remember meeting her for a lifetime.
bucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote