User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
ganshert OP
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
Anchorage to Wisconsin in July

I will be riding from Anchorage to Wisconsin and back the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July. Leaving on the 9th back by the 24th. I will spend a day and a half there for a family reunion. Tent camping all but a couple of nights.

I am planning to go down the Alcan and come back up the Cassiar via somewhere in Montana.

Any must see, must do stuff on the way?
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
lower 48

you really should give yourself more than 1 & 1/2 days in the lower 48 states.
just kidding.
too bad you don't have a little more time.
i like the great lakes in the summer.
i don't have any experience in WA ,idaho, or those states.i plan to go though.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,239
nice ride....Wisconsin sucks...LOL

yeha I hear from so many how Wisconsin sucks.....yeah...only cows, packers and cheeseheads....I grew up and still live in Green Bay....tired of always being labelled as a PAcker fan...KMA....I dont; care......anyway.....if you get to northeast WI area and need a contact give a shout....70 degrees yesterday...sucked .... so since my GS and KLR are currently in Arizona, I took out my gal and my other 2 dual sports.....LOL....

she is getting into that Transalp....when the Harley is her normal ride.....tisk tisk......I had to deal with the HArley......

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert
I will be riding from Anchorage to Wisconsin and back the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July. Leaving on the 9th back by the 24th. I will spend a day and a half there for a family reunion. Tent camping all but a couple of nights.

I am planning to go down the Alcan and come back up the Cassiar via somewhere in Montana.

Any must see, must do stuff on the way?
Gans,

I rode up last Summer. If you plan on heading through MOntana on the way back up, I would highly recommend going through Glacier NP and the Going to the Sun Highway in particular. Then head up to Banf and Jasper parks in Alberta and take the Glacier Parkway up to the Town of Jasper. From Jasper you can catch the Yellowhead highway straight to the turn off for the Cassiar by way of Prince George. I've got pictures. If you're interested PM me and I'll send some to you.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
ganshert OP
not sleeping

thanks

Thanks for the info Northrider.

Hey Free who said Wisconsin sucks? I enjoy myself every time I'm there.

Lets see, what do I like about WI??

1. Beer
2. Cheese Curds
3. Beer
4. Beer
5. Beer
6. I have lots of family there
7. Other kinds of Cheese
8. Beer
9. Beer
10. Oh, and Cheese

I'm not joking, I like beer and cheese, alot.

Any tips on must see WI stuff. I know there are vintage races at Elkhart lake but I will be at the reunion thing.

I'm thinking along the lines of the largest ball of twine kind of stuff. Does WI have anything like that?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Scalzitti
Adventure Driven

Oddometer: 444
I'll be headed back to the Chicago area in early July from Alaska. If you're looking for a ride partner let me know. We might be able to travel together. I prefer tent camping also. I'm working on my route this week.
Scalzitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,239
Quote:

1. Beer

I'm thinking along the lines of the largest ball of twine kind of stuff. Does WI have anything like that?
I was in jest......but you knew that...grew up here and have alot of fun...don;t get me wrong.....I travel away often...but still a good place to call home....where in Wisc are you gonna be?....house ont he rock is the tourist trap, but some cool architecture.....WI Maritime Museum in Manitowoc is quick too...and you can tour a ww2 submarine...USS CObia....I keep my sailboat iN Manitowoc.....free/cheap and good lodging for fellow advriders.....
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
ganshert OP
not sleeping

Free - I will be going to Shullsburg, way down south.

Scalzitti - I think the alone time is what I am looking forward to the most! No offense :) I would like to compare routes though. Do you have MS Streets?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
only pleasure trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEFLOW
I was in jest......but you knew that...grew up here and have alot of fun...don;t get me wrong.....I travel away often...but still a good place to call home....where in Wisc are you gonna be?....house ont he rock is the tourist trap, but some cool architecture.....WI Maritime Museum in Manitowoc is quick too...and you can tour a ww2 submarine...USS CObia....I keep my sailboat iN Manitowoc.....free/cheap and good lodging for fellow advriders.....
every tripr i have ever been on was a trek to visit family or friends,
fall before last i went to rider warehouse just to go.
after that i had no destination.i really liked meandering through wisconsin.i had been to madtown once to meet a friend.
this time i just toured around,my gs turned 99,000 miles just as i rolled around the capitol.on to chicago,i need to learn how to get more out of that town.
then another night arrival ain st.louis.
rolla then home.
i would like to make wi. a destination.and i like to sail.i am going to launch a boat in sandusky at the end of may.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Well that's the important stuff. What part of Wisconsin? I'm riding from Madison to Anchorage in June, I may even leave in May if I can get everything together soon enough.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Northrider.

1. Beer
2. Cheese Curds
3. Beer
4. Beer
5. Beer
6. I have lots of family there
7. Other kinds of Cheese
8. Beer
9. Beer
10. Oh, and Cheese

Any tips on must see WI stuff. I know there are vintage races at Elkhart lake but I will be at the reunion thing.

snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote