Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Desert2202 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Day Trip East of Alice

Hi All,
It was a beautiful clear Thursday and my mate Rob and I had the day off work so we decided to go for a ride along the East MacDonnell Ranges from Alice Springs to Ross Rover Resort then onto John Hayes Rockhole then back home in time to pick up the kids from school at 14:50.

So I dropped the kids to school, did a few errands, then met Rob at his place before heading off around 10:30.

Rob has a 1988 R100GS with over 100,000km on the clock and I have a newly aquired 1998 R1100GS with 20,000km on the clock.

At Robs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Where were heading.

We have had a very unusual amount of rain, so all the green vegetation you see here is very abnormal, usually it is very dry.

The road to Ross River is sealed all the way and our first stop is at Corroboree Rock.

Then it was onto Ross River Resort. Dont be fooled by the title "Resort", it is a bunch of shacks and horse yards up against a very nice mountain range, but when we arrived the manager would not even let us in the door for a drink and a feed as the entire place was booked out by a group of "Indigenous People".

Fuck knows why, but he did not let us even spend money there so we departed and headed for John Hayes Rockhole.

The "Resort", as much as we were"allowed" to see

John Hayes Rock Hole is down a 6km stretch of dirt road, sandy river beds and rocky roads, it was fun to get too.

Then we got to the car park, when I looked around my Top Box had fallen off but we found it 100 meters down the track. For some reason it fell off another 3 times on the way back but for the life of us we couldnt pull it off as hard as we tried so I guess the bumps were stronger than us

From here it was a 100 meter walk to the water hole.

It was full to the brim so we were unable to check out the "chain of ponds" behind it, was nice to see all the water though.

After that we headed back to the highway for the ride home. Along the way is a memorial to a local motorcyclist that was killed riding his bike when a Camel ran out in front of him.

Each year the fella's hold a run titled "Fishes Run" to celebrate his life.

And just 2km down the road we see another reminder.

Time had gone quickly so we had to hit the throttle and blast down the tar and got home just in time for the school bell and pick up the kids

Cheers

Geoff.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Good stuff Geoff - very jealous of what you have at your doorstep. Glad you are getting out and about on the new bike
Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Desert2202 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
Good stuff Geoff - very jealous of what you have at your doorstep. Glad you are getting out and about on the new bike

Thanks Andrew, yes we are spoilt that we can ride 10 minutes from home and have all this lovely desert to ride in
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,029
Great photo's... gee it's green at the moment... spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
Great photo's... gee it's green at the moment... spectacular.
Karen and I went to Glen Helen a couple of weeks ago and there was water over the floodways and everthing was green never seen it like that in the 30 odd years I have lived in the NT.
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,959
good stuff
we stopped in at ross river a while back and had same story
i think he said its been bought up by a squillionaire whos gunna shut it down and lock it up
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
Having only just moved down to SA after being in the Alice region for about 2.5 years prior I had a similar experience at Ross River "Resort". Stayed there for a night with the missus about 18 months ago after riding down from where I was living on the Plenty Hwy through Binns track, Arltunga Loop. The Bar shut at about 7.30-8pm and we were told that they didn't cater to tourists as their main business was from artists, cowboy training school and indiginous organisations who generally stayed for longer periods. The room/shack which we stayed in had bird and mice crap all through it including on the pillow of one of the beds. It's a real shame, because it's in a really nice spot and has so much potential to be a great base to explore the eastern MacDonnells. I have heard from others that the camp ground on the N'Darlah (Spelling) George Rd, which is part of the "Resort" is a nice place to camp.
APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote