Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
eye.surgeon OP
...riding California

Oddometer: 224
For the naysayers, we now have a test ride report, both video and a multi-page magazine article, on the 800 and lots of details. So a comparison thread with the Strom is certainly in order. In fact the MCN article compares the Tiger 800 to 5 bikes, the V-Strom 650 being one of them. Clearly this is the market Triumph is going for, albeit requiring a bump up to the next higher cost bracket from the strom.
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #32
Doc59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Dragging this question back from limbo because it is exactly my thinking. My current daily rider is an 07 DL650 and I've read every page on the Tiger 800 thread, once a day mind you. Initially, with the teasers, I was ready to go buy one. Now some of the reviews and the real specs have been released and they are making me rethink. I am looking forward to more reviews and a test ride though.
Before anyone starts bashing the shit out of this thread, a little about me. Not a fan of the weestrom looks and, yeah, it's a top heavy pig sometimes but has been the best workhorse/every day rider that I have found recently. Traded an SV1000 in for my first wee, an 05 (didn't need the extra horsepower, I'm happy with around 70, and the wee was lots more comfortable). Sold that one and went travelling through Asia on my old F650 (better in rough stuff), bought an 07 when I got home. Always looking for a better looking replacement though, test ridden, Gladius, BMW F650 (800), Street triple, and a few 4's. None of them have given me a good reason to get rid of the DL650.
Things I like and want, the 650 vtwin is a gem of a motor, I've even checked out Cagiva raptor 650's. Fuel range with the 22 litre tank, love it. Seat height is fine and I'm a short arse, the Triumph might be a little better there, waiting for test ride once again.
Reason I might change, love the triple, it's a great engine and would prefer a Triumph badge in my garage. Plus they do look a better.
If Suzuki gets there finger out and actually decides to redo the Strom with looks like the Triumph or BM and keeps the same fuel tank size then they would be on a winner.
95% road riding on this one so it would be the 800, comments about why I should trade the Wee welcome.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #33
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
I traded my Wee for a Tiger 1050. Better ergos, wind, handling, engine, fit and finish, seat etc. Only downside was fuel efficiency. To get a handle on that, figure out how many miles you ride, and do the math.

To get a handle on how you would fit on the new Tigers compared to your Wee, go here: http://cycle-ergo.com/
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #34
beep

Oddometer: n/a
I'm in the same boat - think the Wee is a great bike and the new Tiger 800 is pretty much the only bike I'd consider swapping it for. I've no doubt the new Tiger will be a better bike in almost every department, apart from proven reliability and fuel consumption/range, it's obviously too new to know one way or the other. I intend to take a couple of testrides, wait until the middle of next year and then get one if I'm impressed and the riding position isn't too cramped.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #35
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc59
Things I like and want, the 650 vtwin is a gem of a motor, I've even checked out Cagiva raptor 650's. Fuel range with the 22 litre tank, love it. Seat height is fine and I'm a short arse, the Triumph might be a little better there, waiting for test ride once again.
Reason I might change, love the triple, it's a great engine and would prefer a Triumph badge in my garage. Plus they do look a better.
If Suzuki gets there finger out and actually decides to redo the Strom with looks like the Triumph or BM and keeps the same fuel tank size then they would be on a winner.
95% road riding on this one so it would be the 800, comments about why I should trade the Wee welcome.
You may be waiting quite a while before Suzuki re-do the Wee Strom. It all really depends on the riding you do. If you want to do more 3rd world touring into rough situations ... then I'd hang onto that BMW. Neither the Wee nor 800 Tiger will be as good or practical in such conditions.

If you want a road bike with power, handling and style ... I'd get the 1050 Tiger. Mega power, great handling (if set up right) and fairly cheap to run. The 800 Tiger will have more power than your Wee but there is more to it. You're looking at a whole new generation bike with the new Tiger. Everything will be better compared to the Wee. Will it be as tough or bullet proof? Who knows, too early to say.

As to whether it will be a better adventure travel bike ... just have to wait and see. You're lucky to be in the UK, you'll have new Tigers in Feb or March. We most likely won't see any new Tigers here in the USA until Summer 2011.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #36
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,578
its all in the rake angle. hit something perpendicular with the Weestrom and you'll be jolted ... hit the same with the Tiger and you'll be vaulted over the bars with the bike cartwheeling behind you
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #37
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
its all in the rake angle. hit something perpendicular with the Weestrom and you'll be jolted ... hit the same with the Tiger and you'll be vaulted over the bars with the bike cartwheeling behind you
Wow, you're a jedi!

Tell us the future you will.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #38
eye.surgeon OP
...riding California

Oddometer: 224
Clouded the future is.
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,957
Revived from the dead thread.

I have a v650 and have contemplated upgrading to the tiger 800. I just test road an 800 for about 22 miles. Side streets, highway, twisty road. Since I don't plan on riding to Megadan Russia anytime soon I'm not to convearned about the mpg difference, in my opinion, the tiger is absolutely amazing. Amazing. The word "sublime" even came to mind on the ride. I've had 24 motorcycles, this will be the 25th. I was sold in the first hundred yards.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Congrats! I never even knew this thread existed. I almost couldn't stop laughing as I read through it. Congrats again on a great bike.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #41
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
congrats on your new ride.

anyone ever do any kind of comparison with the 2012 Vee?
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #42
ToniBraxton
Weeeee

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

I have a v650
Did you also take a testdrive on the XC version?
I've been looking @ the 800 too
ToniBraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #43
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:

I have a v650 and have contemplated upgrading to the tiger 800. I just test road an 800 for about 22 miles. Side streets, highway, twisty road. Since I don't plan on riding to Megadan Russia anytime soon I'm not to convearned about the mpg difference, in my opinion, the tiger is absolutely amazing. Amazing. The word "sublime" even came to mind on the ride. I've had 24 motorcycles, this will be the 25th. I was sold in the first hundred yards.

Congrats!

Actually, if you ride conservatively the Tiger's MPG is about the same as the wee strom.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #44
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,957
Whoaaaaa! I didn't buy her yet. In my hunt for a V upgrade the tiger will be it. First ill need to unload the wee.
The XC was right next to the 800 and was offered to take that out next. For whatever reason I declined, smitten as I was with the roadie. I'm 80/20 street dirt rider, and though for some that's plenty a switch worth getting a more dirt worthy bike, to me not so much. When in the dirt it's easy dirt, and I take my time through it, nothing crazy by any means. Plus I hate the beak (I know it can be removed) prefer tubeless tires, prefer the non XC bars and the overal ergos of the 800 and a non 21 front. Crash bars and hand guards on a roadie will suit me just fine.

Bike ridden was a "leftover" '12 with (after I was done ) 31 miles, with ABS for $12600. There are faaaaaar better deals to be had out there. Stealer said the '13 was "only" a grand more.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Whoaaaaa! I didn't buy her yet. In my hunt for a V upgrade the tiger will be it. First ill need to unload the wee.
The XC was right next to the 800 and was offered to take that out next. For whatever reason I declined, smitten as I was with the roadie. I'm 80/20 street dirt rider, and though for some that's plenty a switch worth getting a more dirt worthy bike, to me not so much. When in the dirt it's easy dirt, and I take my time through it, nothing crazy by any means. Plus I hate the beak (I know it can be removed) prefer tubeless tires, prefer the non XC bars and the overal ergos of the 800 and a non 21 front. Crash bars and hand guards on a roadie will suit me just fine.

Bike ridden was a "leftover" '12 with (after I was done ) 31 miles, with ABS for $12600. There are faaaaaar better deals to be had out there. Stealer said the '13 was "only" a grand more.
I don't know where you are getting your pricing from but if that's an out the door price than its not bad. The T800 has been moving pretty well all over the country so a much better deal may be out of reach.