dano_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #3737
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Hey cuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUSIN DIRTY
Hello Doc and LDF, I am considering the purchase of a DRZ and i was just curious about the seat you all have on your bikes....Also i was wondering once you retire your bikes what might be your next bike? ...
For the seat issue, strap on the way-back machine and check out post #13 . We've now put over 14,000 miles on the sweet cheeks. They're starting to fray a bit, but like a good pair of blue jeans, they've got plenty of life left.

Regarding the bikes, I think I'd probably go with the WR250R. FI & six gears being the most appealing attributes, but we might have to pack just a wee bit lighter. The suspension is more than adequate, and they've proven to be pretty bullet-proof. When we were shopping bikes, we were looking for used options, and the WR250R was just being released. I wasn't comfortable committing to two of them new at the time with too many unknowns regarding the bike, and how our trips would go. But if the DRZ's ever die, the WR250R will probably get the nod.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #3738
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading out to Chitina

we passed some of the scarce farmable, ranchable land this far north.

Yak, yak, yak...

rolling down into the Copper river valley,

the water color was greenish, I presume from the copper?

The road winds past a series of lakes, named 3-mile, 2-mile, 1-mile...

Would have probably been easier if they had just used mile-marker signs and skipped putting in the lakes, but they were pretty.

We hit the Chitina city limits,

and rolled into town. This is a good example of why the intercoms have become indispensable:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #3739
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We checked in

to the world's smallest room, at the quaint Chitina Hotel,

in all it's restored glory,

and we had a nice fancy-pants dinner in the restaurant,

while the local ruffians swilled micro-brews at the bar,

and the retirees calculated tips to the 4th digit.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #3740
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,975
MAG and I are still here Doctor, hanging on your every post.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #3741
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After dinner,

I went for a little walk,

Beam me down to the lighthouse mission...

The 9:30pm light wasn't the greatest, but it was nice to just walk around by myself and play photographer, rather than photodocumenter.

It's a meditative way to look at the world, my head gets in a different zone. It's a relaxing way to unwind at the end of the day.

The other two-wheeled vehicle in town:

I checked back in to the hotel,

and closed down the bar with a spot of bourbon.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #3742
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
MAG and I are still here Doctor, hanging on your every post.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Q~
Thanks, guys... can't wait to catch up on what's been going on with your adventures!

BTW, Kennecott mines turned out to be particularly photogenic, and I've got almost 600 frames to process. . I don't know how many will be keepers, but it'll be a few days 'till I'm back to writing.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #3743
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back upstairs,

I noticed an alarming bug bite on my leg, and took a picture of it, just in case I had to refer back to what it looked like before my whole leg shriveled up, turned gangrenous, and had to be amputated.

This kind of bullseye target pattern is typical for a Lyme disease tick bite, but I highly doubted there were ticks in Alaska (there aren't and Lyme disease has never been reported from AK for the record). Of course, LDF was highly concerned, and certain that was what it was. Or a bedbug bite.

It never itched, got a little bigger, then ended up fading away in a week or so, probably a spider bite or something. I'm sticking with my original theory that it was a king cobra. That just sounds cool.

(BTW, in all seriousness, if you get a funny looking bite or rash at any time, take a photo as soon as you can, ideally with a ruler or some other size reference in the frame. Two days later, it can be more difficult than you think to remember how it looked and how big it was. It'll be very helpful in making the diagnosis if it turns out to be something serious.)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 11-13-2010 at 08:03 AM
Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #3744
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 12 stats

Click on images below for big versions:

Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #3745
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 13, Wednesday, August 18, 2010

teaser:

Old 11-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #3746
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
(BTW, in all seriousness, if you get a funny looking bite or rash at any time, take a photo as soon as you can, ideally with a ruler or some other size reference in the frame. Two days later, it can be more difficult than you think to remember how it looked and how big it was. It'll be very helpful in making the diagnosis if it turns out to be something serious.)
Doc, Can we just post our bug bite photos here for a diagnosis?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #3747
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
levels out, and now we've got to find a road. We're still about 80 miles from Alturas, and I was a little stressed.

If we couldn't make this go through, it was going to be another major reroute, and time set-back, not to mention we were going to have to retrace some of the most technical riding we'd ever done on a Mobius trip.

The coolest part in retrospect was that we were both in a "we can do this" adventure-mode. The one thing I really wasn't worrying about was LDF's ability to ride this terrain, and it struck me soon after we emerged from this quagmire that at the top of that hill she had somehow graduated as an adventure rider.

There was a day, when she couldn't ride the terrain, was afraid of breaking down, of getting lost, being too remote, of having to retrace, not willing to forge ahead, and now here we were, on nasty terrain, risking breakdowns, almost lost, remote as all get-out, and we were slogging through it shoulder to shoulder, not me pushing... we were still in her comfort zone (and barely in mine).

At this point in our travels, we've been tested. We've gotten lost, we've crashed, we've broken down, we've been remote, we've ridden over our heads, we've had to retrace, and reroute, and... and at the end of the day we get through it. Somehow it works out.

Here as well, once we got back to where the line on the GPS was, we struggled for several minutes, and rode around in circles into the woods at the edge of an open area to match that line with something on the ground that looked like a trail.

But we did.

Here's the area and our path on Topo2008:

Here's the same area on GoogleEarth with the "roads" marked:

and unmarked... if you squint, you can see the trail.

Less than 3 miles in about an hour... now THAT's adventure riding!
Since reading your thread,I've been very interested in how you've mapped out your route. Do these 3 pics basically explain how you find your trails? I can faintly make out the trail viewed through google earth,but wonder if that's as much detail that you see ,and trust that that's enough to plot it into your gps? If this is the case it must have taken you tons of hours to plot out each leg of your journey.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #3748
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Excellent idea!!! And I have this wierd growth... stand by for pix.
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #3749
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
...Do these 3 pics basically explain how you find your trails? I can faintly make out the trail viewed through google earth,but wonder if that's as much detail that you see ,and trust that that's enough to plot it into your gps?
For the sections that I routed, yep. For reference material, I use other people's ride reports, local intel (posting questions on the regional forums), maps, atlases, various digital gps maps, and most importantly GoogleEarth. The more you do it, and then correlate what you saw in 2-D with reality, the better you become at anticipating which will be the "good" roads and trails for a DS bike.

For the TAT, I just routed the line that Sam had traced on the maps he sends you. That and a little help from others who have ridden it. Lot's 'o discussion on whether to and how to transfer the info into a gps.

Once we got to the Cassiar Highway in BC, there were so few roads that routing becomes a non-issue... you can draw a detailed map of every road you need to know from mid-BC on up to the Arctic circle on the back of a napkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
If this is the case it must have taken you tons of hours to plot out each leg of your journey.
That would be a resounding "yes" for the lower-48 non-TAT sections. Hours and hours. But it's NOT a chore. It's done off-season, in bits and pieces. Over time, I imprint my brain with the general lay of the land through which we'll be traveling. Then, when we meet an obstacle on the trail, I'm able to intuitively assess the various go-around options. Additionally, while I'm formulating the route, i begin to get curious about the history of the area, as well as the flora and geology of the terrain, and generally start to get psyched to get back out on the next Mobius leg.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #3750
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Trust me on this one... you do NOT want me to be your doctor.