ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
DeadGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Anyone Remember 1970s Monticello NY Enduro?

Hi all,

Trying to help a friend find any info or coverage of a "40 Mile" Enduro held back in the 70s in Monticello NY. Has anyone raced in or at least remember such an event?

Also looking for any similar info / facts / memories about a March 1979 event that was an ISDT qualifier in Tennessee (a/k/a the foggy mountain ISDT qualifier).

Anything would be much appreciated, photos would be quite the find.

Thanks,
ed
DeadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Hey Ed! Where have you been hiding?

I'll keep an eye on this...if no responses, try posting on the ECEA boards....There's some real helpful folk over there....(If you don't have access, I can post for you...)
Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
DeadGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
Hey Ed! Where have you been hiding?

I'll keep an eye on this...if no responses, try posting on the ECEA boards....There's some real helpful folk over there....(If you don't have access, I can post for you...)
Hey chris,

Been around but way too busy, missed the Hammer Run but did a short loop with Doc at the Meteor Dual Sport - that was fun.

Thanks for the offer, let's see if anyone chimes in here.

ed
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Maroney's has had bikes race at the standardbred track in Monticello. I'd ask them about it.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy
Hi all,

Trying to help a friend find any info or coverage of a "40 Mile" Enduro held back in the 70s in Monticello NY. Has anyone raced in or at least remember such an event?

Also looking for any similar info / facts / memories about a March 1979 event that was an ISDT qualifier in Tennessee (a/k/a the foggy mountain ISDT qualifier).

Thanks,
ed
I won there twice.

I won the under 16 class in 72? and the Open B class in 77. Steve McPhillips the machinist at Moroneys won the High Point a bunch of times.

It was a "closed course" and no license plate needed. you did 3 laps about 10 miles each.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

a distant cousin of mine powers a big Husky through the Monticello mud. As I wasn't riding this had to be 1971.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
nachtflug
infidel

I remember there was a guy from Maybrook, last name Rowe, who'd lost an arm in a farm accident who rode it with one arm. I remember coming up on a real nasty little stretch of mud/tree clumps/water. just real shit.

he was down or stuck and I stopped and got him going. how could you not?

lots of newburgh guys rode it cos there was a strong off road presence here with Moroneys and it was right up the street, they ran every year for maybe 10 years at least. Piet Boonstra probably rode it, he wrote the Golden Age of Enduro's which chronicles his years riding north east enduros', a great little self published read and history.

it was a nice little run through the woods, hosted by Mahogany Ridge Hunting club. some of the old timers from Monticello FD might have some info.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy

Thanks,
ed
McPhillips rode a lot of qualifiers in the later 70's.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I won there twice.

I won the under 16 class in 72.
had to be 73 or 4. I had a 1972 DT2MX that I'd bought as a left over in 73. I was really trick I put a 10 T countershaft on it.

Hell, Fitz's 360 Auto Husky and helmet is in Moroneys showroom now (since he passed 2 years ago) and that bike probably rode that event.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
DeadGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jackpot

Wow, this is great info -- and a pic to boot! Excellent!

Thanks ... nachtflug. others?

ed
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

the year I won the B Heavy class, I think they called it that. there was no c just A & B. And it was basically the anything bigger than 250 class.

My 1976 360 Husky wouldn't start in the morning. We kicked, we pushed, we changed a plug. Damn thing wouldn't start. They had about 50 starting numbers and my minute was one of the last. My number came and went and I went into the hunting lodge and inquired about my $8 entry fee and was told, no refunds..

$8 was big $$$ then. You could get a case of Schaefer for $5.

The Husky had been unceremoniously flopped into the weeds I was pissed at it.

I come out and pick it up and one kick it starts.

Hey gimme that helmet! I roared off into the woods and won the class.

The guy I rode with all the time had a 370 Frontera and he was there too riding the same class. Big Don.

I couldn't beat him through 30 miles of that stuff with a 10 minute head start let alone a 10 minute delay. He was a brute and destroyed a few Bultaco's, a Matador and 2 Frontera's.

He must have blown a check point and probably just rode right through it thinking they were spectators. god knows what he did but they DQ'd him for missing a check.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
nachtflug
infidel

McPhillips owned that event. I think he was told if you win the high point 3 years in a row you get to keep the High Point wall plaque, or at least thats what we had heard, we were friends as he was local right here in Newburgh and worked at and still does work at Moroneys.

He could ride a Husky through the woods about as fast as you could back then.

Anyway I remember seeing the plaque with all the annual High Point winners names on it and he had quite a few. Like to know where the plaque ended up. He is a top notch Harley wrench and has been for years and doesn't really ride a whole lot, but has a little cottage industry building Harley engines, as in new engines. Knuckles, Pans, whatever you want, brand new. I know the OCC a few years back when they built the Cody's Old School Chopper big mouth Paul Sr. was paying McP a complment about "no no we want to get the engine from Steve, he's the best" and he basically is. He's a top notch machinist/welder/wrench. Its funny how a lot of guys who are deep into bikes don't ride much and he's a perfect example. Eats sleep and breaths bikes, doesn't ride much.

He built this, found it in some guys attic in box's.

He knows his Harleys. That is a bonafide 70's XR from the factory.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
DeadGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

message to you

Quote:
the year I won the B Heavy class, I think they called it that. there was no c just A & B. And it was basically the anything bigger than 250 class.

My 1976 360 Husky wouldn't start in the morning. We kicked, we pushed, we changed a plug. Damn thing wouldn't start. They had about 50 starting numbers and my minute was one of the last. My number came and went and I went into the hunting lodge and inquired about my $8 entry fee and was told, no refunds..

$8 was big $$$ then. You could get a case of Schaefer for $5.

The Husky had been unceremoniously flopped into the weeds I was pissed at it.

I come out and pick it up and one kick it starts.

Hey gimme that helmet! I roared off into the woods and won the class.

The guy I rode with all the time had a 370 Frontera and he was there too riding the same class. Big Don.

I couldn't beat him through 30 miles of that stuff with a 10 minute head start let alone a 10 minute delay. He was a brute and destroyed a few Bultaco's, a Matador and 2 Frontera's.

He must have blown a check point and probably just rode right through it thinking they were spectators. god knows what he did but they DQ'd him for missing a check.
nachtflug,

sent a email note via advrider profile link.....probably know my friend..
Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
McPhillips owned that event. I think he was told if you win the high point 3 years in a row you get to keep the High Point wall plaque, or at least thats what we had heard, we were friends as he was local right here in Newburgh and worked at and still does work at Moroneys.

He could ride a Husky through the woods about as fast as you could back then.

Anyway I remember seeing the plaque with all the annual High Point winners names on it and he had quite a few. Like to know where the plaque ended up. He is a top notch Harley wrench and has been for years and doesn't really ride a whole lot, but has a little cottage industry building Harley engines, as in new engines. Knuckles, Pans, whatever you want, brand new. I know the OCC a few years back when they built the Cody's Old School Chopper big mouth Paul Sr. was paying McP a complment about "no no we want to get the engine from Steve, he's the best" and he basically is. He's a top notch machinist/welder/wrench. Its funny how a lot of guys who are deep into bikes don't ride much and he's a perfect example. Eats sleep and breaths bikes, doesn't ride much.

He built this, found it in some guys attic in box's.

He knows his Harleys. That is a bonafide 70's XR from the factory.
I thought the XR's from the 70's had aluminum heads and cylinders, and twin carbs.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Puch 1973
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Natchflug

It is possible I know you

I am from Newburgh and went to Monticello all the years you mention.

Also know/knew all the people you mentioned

My friend sent you an email
Puch 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote