Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
jobear89
PNG Pilot

Oddometer: 30
Perfect time to ride in Maine no Summer people and all the leaf peepers are long gone.
jobear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobear89
Perfect time to ride in Maine no Summer people and all the leaf peepers are long gone.
oh, definitely- we never make it down that way during the summer 'cause of the traffic and crowds of people; only issue we had with traffic was coming back through Brewer/Bangor- had 1 car turn in front of Jerry/cut him off, then shortly after a second car was going to turn in between the 2 of us in an intersection- fortunately we always anticipate the drivers are going to do the most stupid thing but ! Of course it is awful hard to see us in our hi viz!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
BumpyRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thumb

Wow, thanks so much for the pictures. My grandfather and later my uncle owned the little store and gas station on Rt 1 at the intersection of the road to Sorrento. As a kid in the '50s and '60s we would spend part of our summer vacations at their house in Sorrento right on Flanders Bay.
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
howling60
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyRoad
Wow, thanks so much for the pictures. My grandfather and later my uncle owned the little store and gas station on Rt 1 at the intersection of the road to Sorrento. As a kid in the '50s and '60s we would spend part of our summer vacations at their house in Sorrento right on Flanders Bay.
no way... Oconners? (that was the name of the store, right?) when I was in highschool, used to stop there almost every day for snacks/etc... within walking distance during lunchtime/etc...

small world!

-Nate

The FUN bike: '78 Kawasaki KL250A1
The PROJECT bike: '80 Suzuki GS450E
howling60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
BumpyRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
True dat! My grandfather was Charlie OConnor, my uncle was Bob. The old store with the Mobil Flying Horse burned down years ago and they built the block building that is there now (its empty and closed).

When we were kids coming up Rt 1 we'd round the corner by that pull off in one of the pictures and I being the oldest was always the first to yell "I see it!" when the store came into view.

I'm guessing you had one of the hotdogs?
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Ah...my home state.

I do miss Maine...from May 'til October, but I do love the 12 months of riding in California.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
You are very welcome- so glad you enjoyed them! I couldn't remember seeing a store there, but your second post explained that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA
I do miss Maine...from May 'til October, but I do love the 12 months of riding in California.
I do miss my bike in the winter, but on the other hand I like playing in the snow. Its the only time of the year the truck is actually fun- whoo hoo 4-wheel drive- otherwise known as adventure driving!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
howling60
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
True dat! My grandfather was Charlie OConnor, my uncle was Bob. The old store with the Mobil Flying Horse burned down years ago and they built the block building that is there now (its empty and closed).

When we were kids coming up Rt 1 we'd round the corner by that pull off in one of the pictures and I being the oldest was always the first to yell "I see it!" when the store came into view.

I'm guessing you had one of the hotdogs?
no way! oh, i've had at least one of the hotdogs over the years :) It was a big shame/dissappointment when it closed up... it was a local icon lets face it :)

-Nate

The FUN bike: '78 Kawasaki KL250A1
The PROJECT bike: '80 Suzuki GS450E
howling60 is offline   Reply With Quote