User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
BIWOZ OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
320 km Sunday blat out of Perth, Western Australia

It's been warmish around here lately ... high 90s F to last Friday's effort of 102 F. Then the black stormclouds rolled in and humidity went through the roof.

Nevertheless, the Organic Speed Brake and I, and our brother-in-law and sis-in-law (his'n'her's matching V-Stroms), were determined we were riding today (Sunday). Hell, we're in the middle of a drought ... what could go wrong?

Coincidentally, it was the Northam Bike Festival today ... held at Toodyay. (Yes, I know ... apparently Northam Town Council played fast and loose, so the organisers took it elsewhere.) Toodyay is in the foothills to the east of Perth. We figured the place would be buzzing, and we wanted to get breakfast there, so it was a 7.00 am start.

We took off, heading east, and the skies were daunting. Directly ahead (east) and directly behind (west) it was black; the sky the colour of bruised plum flesh. We could see long streamers of rain drifting down. We pressed on, into the Chittering Valley, enjoying the twisties ... but not too happy with the patches of water on the road. I haven't had the R1150RT all that long ... we imported it from America ... but I'm already beginning to have more faith in its sure-footedness. Even in the wet, it's stable and secure.

Here she is, the day after we (finally) gained WA registration:

"Ride to eat; eat to ride" ... our unofficial motto.

Eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and another 1/2 cm on the waistline! Oh well ...

The main street of Toodyay was closed off to traffic and given over to motorbikes.

Well, it is almost Christmas ...

Dear Santa ...

10 litres per 100 km on a run
15 litres per 100 km in the city

Yes, that is a 350 Chev. Yes, there are "performance" option.

Two-speed semi-auto with reverse ...

I was surprised how small the new Honda VFR 1200 looks in the flesh. If I have a criticism, it's that the arse end is out o balance: the top box is too large and too high when compared to the small sidecases. Just an opinion ...

The classics had their turn too ... here's the latest Harley design for 2011

Mad Max and Stone would have approved ... Kwaka 900 and 1000

No, the ballet dancer is definitely NOT me ... maybe Michael Flatley is older than we think ...

Everywhere you turned, there were more bikes ...

The day was still young ... even though growing hotter ... so the decision was made to go home via Goomalling.

Now, Goomalling is a nice, clean little country town, but usually you could fire a gun down the main street. Not today. We stopped for a water break and found bikes and cars littering the main street and ... oh, OK, we'll now go home via Northam ...

We were into the wheatbelt farms now ... and they were dry. It's been a terrible winter, and wheat farmers are expecting a 50% drop in yields. Some places we rode past had just ploughed the crop in ... it wasn't worth harvesting.

The irony is that it rained today. Not enough and far too late for any help, but enough to be a bloody nuisance. The parched earth had opened up and the smell of the newly wet soil and crop/stubble was almost overwhelming on the bikes. I have never known anything like it.

At Northam, we decided to go home via York "for a coffee" and lunch at the Old Mill. It was putridly hot now and I was starting to wilt. I can ride in the cold ... rain, snow, sleet, no problem ... but heat knocks me. The 35 km from Northam to York were covered at a ... brisk ... clip.

Ah, the Mill. Time for a decent break.

We ate, chatted ... and suddenly there was a flash of lightning and, later, a rumble of thunder. Luckily, it was from where we'd been, not where we were going. So we weren't concerned.

While the ladies were off powdering their noses, or whatever it is sheilas do in the dunny , I looked idly over the fence in the direction we were headed. And saw this:

Oh dear! Perhaps it would be prudent to go ... NOW!!

So we did. My brother-in-law's advice to his wife was: "If there's any lightning, ride around it ... but don't be concerned by it".

We were lucky ... we skirted the edges of the storm and had only about 15 minutes of rain to contend with. The temperature plummeted for those 15 minutes, but the instant we rode out of the rain and over the Darling Scarp back into Perth, it soared again.

No time for photos or rubbernecking now: we scooted for home ... and caught every red light on the way!

We rolled into the garage 7 hours 45 minutes and 320 km after we left.

Good ride, good food, good company ... let's do it again soon!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Looks like a good day on 2 wheels... and it's always nice to look at other bikes.. someone actually bought that boss hoss? You mention the VFR's back end looks out of balance, would you happen to have a pic you could post?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
BIWOZ OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looks like a good day on 2 wheels... and it's always nice to look at other bikes.. someone actually bought that boss hoss? You mention the VFR's back end looks out of balance, would you happen to have a pic you could post?
Sorry, GB, I just checked and the only other photo I have of it is cut off, too.

Cheers

Bruce

PS: THe Boss Hoss was wearing trade plates, so I don't think anyone had bought it.