ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
scottie boy OP
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,706
Where to go riding?

I dying to properly break in the KLR on some good forestry roads in north GA. How do you guys know where to go? Experience? Do you ride until you stumble on one? Is there some sort of map that lists them?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy
I dying to properly break in the KLR on some good forestry roads in north GA. How do you guys know where to go? Experience? Do you ride until you stumble on one? Is there some sort of map that lists them?
should post this in the regional forums for GA... someone might find you here but you would have more luck there - or in the KLR dedicated thread (scroll down it's huge)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Thumb

Hey scottie boy. go to suches BP station across from TWO. They have a map there that has most of the FS roads. If you can hold off till sunday I will show you some of my favorite routes from acworth to where ever. I like as much dirt as possible.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
They have that map at TWO as well, and you'll probably get some friendly tips in there regarding what the different roads are like.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
No, no, no. I think what you guys are talking aboot is the "infomap." Well, I am here to tell you that map sucks. It isn't in scale to ANYTHING, and it isn't very detailed. What you need is a map of the Chattahoochee National Forest. They sell them in Dahlonega at the welcome center for $6.00. It shows you ALL forest roads, surface roads, lakes, rivers, etc.

I am thinking I may join y'all on a ride Sunday. I will have to play it by ear. What will the route be? Dirt or Street? KLX or Dakar?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

BTW, I know some cool places to ride near TWO, one trail that isn't mapped that brings you through creeks that are part of the road. Pretty gnarly stuff. Be happy to hit those this weekend, too.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
scottie boy OP
Homebrew Guru

Probably dirt. I'm the dual sport nOOb here so I'm up for whatever you guys suggest.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:31 AM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

I was hoping you'd say dirt. BTW, I dig that Dali avatar. He's one of my heroes. If you ever get a chance, go to the Dali museum in Tampa/Clearwater. He is SO much more than melting clocks. I will let y'all know if I can go Sunday later today.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Thumb

Quote:
Probably dirt. I'm the dual sport nOOb here so I'm up for whatever you guys suggest.
I suggest we decide on a place and time to meet. If you are going to follow me it will be as much dirt as possible. I have plans late afternoon so I will be starting early and leaving the mountains noon thirty WFO. The ride home alone will not be a problem as long as you guys know your way back.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #10
scottie boy OP
Homebrew Guru

Hey Flux, we are planning to leave the Kennesaw area at eightish. Let us know if you want to meet somewhere.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #11
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

I'm in. Where y'all meeting and where we going? It may be easier for me to meet you both on the trails somewhere, but I am flexible. I'll likely throw the bike in the truck, and ditch my truck somewhere. I try not to ride alot of street with the knobby tires.

8:00 is no problem for me. I am up by 5:30 every day. My number is (770) 654- 7957. That's a cell, if I don't answer leave a message...I've got some yardwork to do for awhile.

Look forward to meeting you both.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 AM   #12
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Hey scottie you got same pair of bikes as me. Funny i seem to love which ever one i'm on at the time.Both tons of fun.Below 45degrees I pick the RT to ride.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote