User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #601
coop
Narkyhippo

Oddometer: 213
mine have come in
Did a quick test with one with a spare battery, lit up my garage nicely , work pressures unfortunately won't allow me to install them for a couple of weeks
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #602
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey twinrider ...

Curious to how big that dimmer is ??
Do you have any pictures of yours mounted ??

Thanks ...
I don't have mine mounted yet, but the plan is to jettison the white plastic case and mount it under my fairing after drilling a hole for the knob. The location and a plastic bag should provide more than enough protection from rain.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #603
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I don't have mine mounted yet, but the plan is to jettison the white plastic case and mount it under my fairing after drilling a hole for the knob. The location and a plastic bag should provide more than enough protection from rain.
As asked previously, what are the dimensions of the switch casing as supplied?

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #604
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Never mind - the size is stated on the sellers ebay auction - Size: L89 x W59 x H35 mm or 3.5"L x 2.32"W x 1.37"H

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #605
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
Never mind - the size is stated on the sellers ebay auction - Size: L89 x W59 x H35 mm or 3.5"L x 2.32"W x 1.37"H
I've ordered 3 of these dimmers, and before that I've asked the seller for a photo of the pcb inside, here it is:

Judging by that photo and the width of the casing (59mm), the board is around 50x50mm (maybe 45x45mm) and pretty slim. The nice thing is that the pot is separate from the pcb so it would be easier to waterproof the pcb and mount the pot in a nice place.
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #606
DayTrippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I bought the same one a few weeks ago. It works well. I pulled it out of the case and mounted it separately. It seemed like a better option than the ones way upstream in this thread. I used velcro for a while and had it mounted on topside of my dash to play with it for a while. Works great so far.

I used a balloon like I use for RC car parts to help protect them from splashes. So far no issues with water but I've had no rain yet but I did wash the bike at a hand spray car wash. I didn't use any direct spray at the switch from close range but it did get way. I did take the precaution of a little silicone to help see it around the knob.
DayTrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #607
enfoman
enfoman

Oddometer: 15
While we are on the subject of dimmers again, I recall a short discussion on using Girbings heat controllers to also control light intensity. Since I have upgraded my girbings to a dual controller, I now have an extra I do not use much. Would it be ok to use it for dimming the 24Volt lights? I know that it is waterproof and I really do not have dash room for the one from ebay.
enfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #608
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Thought I'd post up what I did.

Here is my switch,

Here is where I tapped into the CANbus system.

Here is the mounting plate assy,

The lamp housing gets in the way of the mounting assy so I had to use some angled brackets to get the correct angle.
I may do it differently over the winter.

Here is the light,

I tried to shoot the pix all the same (160th @ f3.3 ISO400) to get a good indication of how bright the lamps are.

Low Beam

Low + LED's

Hi + Low + LED's

These things are BRIGHT!

As always, pix don't do justice.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #609
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Looks great and first person I've seen that's mounted up 2 sets.

I'm curious if you thought about going the other way with the spots down low and the floods up high.

Since you are running the 10w as running lights, I would think being on forks near the crash bars puts them further from your main headlight and gives you that "elusive" triangle effect which can really help the KTM Adv or any motorcycle with one light to be spotted further down the road. That is one thing I'll be after when I get a set is making myself more visible. Plus, I think being below your blinkers and aimed down, there's less chance of them blocking the view or overpowering the light on your blinkers for drivers coming at you. Also being on your forks, they'd help you see in slow speed turns where you actually turn your bars, or if you are looking for something, you can aim your forks where you want to look without having to worry about turning on the high beams.

Then on the other end of that, the 24 floods used as high beams would be up higher, closer to your field of view and just maybe help you see down their road. Since they are used is high beams, it doesn't really matter if they block out the blinkers and stuff?

Just curious what your reasoning was for going the direction you did?

I was thinking having the 10w spots higher up would provide better daytime visibility to cagers. They do provide a really nice boost to the HID headlight in this location.

After reading your note I went outside and looked at them head on. The blinker is visible but I agree there would be more separation if I mounted them on the forks. I may swap them around to see how it looks.

Thanks much for the thoughts.

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #610
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfoman
While we are on the subject of dimmers again, I recall a short discussion on using Girbings heat controllers to also control light intensity. Since I have upgraded my girbings to a dual controller, I now have an extra I do not use much. Would it be ok to use it for dimming the 24Volt lights? I know that it is waterproof and I really do not have dash room for the one from ebay.
You meant 24 watts, not volts. Whether you can use it or not depends on the frequency that heat controller operates. I've seen heated clothing controllers that switch on and off once or twice a second - it's ok for heated clothing but you won't like if your lights would do that. So you should check with the manufacturer of your heat controller regarding it's output switching frequency. While you're talking to the manufacturer, you can also ask what load is the controller's channel rated for. Will it handle 48 watts (2 lights)?
The LED-specific dimmers are at least 100Hz, as far as I know (this is enough for lights being flicker-free), I've seen 500Hz.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #611
heilong
Adventurer

I have received my lights today. Bench-tested them, also tested in a dark neighbourhood - these look quite bright, compared to a Kia Rio stock (halogen) headlights.

For some reason, my package did have the AMP connectors inside! Upon closer examination these look like a Chinese copy of the AMP connectors - I compared them to the original ones I've bought here in Moscow and they are very similar and even inter-compatible, but the ones I got before just seem to be better quality - the seals, the connector bodies, the TPA locks, terminals plating looks a bit different. I'm sure these copies are good enough and will work fine (and better than any non-waterproof connectors out there), but I think I'll just use the ones I already bought in Moscow.

2 Callahan - if you'd like, I can send you the two connector kits I've got in my package

heilong screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 01:04 PM
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #612
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Lights not available?? Per website, they've been out of stock for weeks, unable to put in cart. How are you guys ordering them? I had PM OP and it was going to be 2 weeks (a month ago). Dang it!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #613
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
When I ordered mine, they were in stock.. then they were sold out.. so when they came back in stock, they were shipped to me. Fantastic lights, and I like the 3 way dimming feature.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #614
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,295
I used a 9V battery (standard consumer style) to bench test the lights. Even on a small underpowered source like that they light up very nicely.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #615
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 350
waiting, waiting, waiting... ordered photoblasters in the mean time for conspicuity. (BF sale!)

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote