Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
The Road to Rylstone, NSW, OZ

DAY 1
The plan was to ride with Bob (AstroBob) via Blackfellows hand trail and the Bridle track enroute to Rylstone for a V strom Xmas gathering.
But Friday morning saw us greeted with heavy skies and by the time I arrived @ Jerry’s Kitchen (Kulnura) to meet Bob, it was drizzling bordering on rain.

Couple of soggy stroms @ Jerry’s

After a coffee and a chat we made our way to Wisemans Ferry by way of St Albans

on the way to St Albans

At least there was no Dust

Next was Bicentenary Rd and Wheelbarrow Ridge Firetrail

A quick coffee @ Upper Colo and a chance to book some accommodation for the night as neither of us had any mobile service, and then it was on to Comleroy Rd and Mountain Lagoon Rd

Which had us on the Bells line in no time, where we slabbed it to ZigZag Railway Car Park, Clarence in light rain and heavy Fog, @ 3.30 in the afternoon

The decision was made that big bikes in the slop wouldn’t be a whole lot of fun at this late stage of the day, so BFH was left for another day, and we slabbed it to Capertee for the night with a quick stop at Pearsons lookout just out of town (Capertee)

View of the Capertee valley from Pearsons lookout

On arrival @ Capertee the bikes were fuelled, lodgings sorted and we settled in for the night. Can highly recommend the wood fired pizza at the Royal Hotel, but the beds are another matter.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)

MudratinOz screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 06:11 PM
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

DAY 2

Saturday dawned with clear skies, so after breakfast at the café ( highly recommended) we were on our way to have a crack at the Bridle track
Packed and ready to go

Just out of Capertee we take Upper Turon Rd to Sofala following the Turon River which is to be our travelling companion along the way.

Upper Turon Rd

Some great riding for sure

But care is needed as it’s a fair way down (as usual the pic doesnt do it justice)

The views aren’t bad either (not much of a stitch job, but you get the idea)

Here comes Bob

Bob again

Shut the gate Bob

Bob crossing the Turon

and again just before the turn off to Sofala, probably the deepest and widest crossing of the weekend.

On arrival at Sofala it was time for a rest

And to check out the historic town

After Sofala it was a tar run to Turondale, last time I was up this way it was mostly gravel, but the tar has made it a hoot to ride :

Next was Box Ridge Rd

One of the many gates we encountered during the day, but the views are worth it

Bob hoping that goat track is not where we’re headed

Finally we arrive at Bruinbun and the start of the Bridle track

A rock slide at Monaghans Bluff has seen the track closed to 4wds, but there loss is our gain as it means there’s less chance of oncoming traffic, for passing opportunities are limited to say the least.
Bob getting past the remnants of the rock

Looking down (490mtr) to the Turon

Wild goats, no doubt related to the ones we'd to encounter later on.

Homage was paid to Andy Caldecott @ Root Hog Crossing

Bob on the way up to Hawkins Hill

The view from Hawkins Hill - South

Northeast

And the last of the Bridle track in to Hill End

A new sign since my last visit, but none the less we had made it

Could hardly ride past the pub after such a fine effort

Besides it was dusty out there and something was needed to settle the dust

As much as we enjoyed our cooling ale, time was marching on, so we pulled up stumps and headed for Rylstone.
It had been suggested to me to take Dougherty’s Junction Rd and Aarons Pass Rd and I’m glad we did as I’m sure they were both built with big adventure bikes in mind.(think fast open tar twisties, without the tar)

Dougherty’s Jctn Rd

Looking south from Aarons Pass Rd

Aarons Pass Rd

We followed the Castlereagh Hwy and another great bike road, Cudgegong Rd, past Lake Windamere to Rylstone.

On arrival to town we checked into the Globe Hotel and made our way to meet up with the rest of the crew. We all enjoyed our meal at the Globe, drank some fine ales and reds too I believe, bench raced a little ( some more than others), we then made our way to the Rylstone Hotel, which had a band on, with the music and locals providing plenty of entertainment value. But weary old travellers don’t have the staying power they once had, so it wasn’t long before we all drifted off to rest the bones.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)

MudratinOz screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 06:17 PM
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Day 3
Sunday didn’t start so well with the publican deciding to take the keys to the bike lockup home with him, needless to say it was almost 11 am before we finally left town. But lesson learnt and I‘ll bring my own lock next time.

a motley crew

After saying our goodbyes etc we headed towards Bylong on Bylong Valley Way, turning off BVW on to Lee Ck Rd, which was suggested by a fellow adventurer. And proved to be a great alternative to the black top of BVW.
We rejoined the BFW just past Bylong and followed it through Bylong Valley to Sandy Hollow.
I normally take the alternate route from Yarrawa to Jerry’s Plains, but the weekend was starting to take its toll, that and our late departure, so it was decided just to slab it back to Jerry’s.

The start of Lee Ck Rd

Lee Ck Rd heading into the Bylong Valley

Bob Crossing Lee Ck

At Jerry’s we said our goodbyes over a coffee and hightailed it to our respective homes after a top couple of days.
We’d experienced a bit of everything from soaking ran and fog to glorious sunshine and winds, not to mention the rocks, the sand and mud, river crossings, livestock and wildlife and some magic country back roads.

Thanks Bob for your company and helping to make it a top weekend.

stuffed if I can load the map

Rylstone weekend - trip - Everytrail

Covered just over 970 k’s as I rolled up the driveway and loved every minute of it.
Although my better half reckoned I looked like shit.

Now to start planning the next one

MudratinOz screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 06:21 PM
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Excellent ride - I was out Sofala/Hill End way last Sunday for a quick day trip, cold beer and an excellent lunch at the Hill End pub
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,018
good stuff
country looks green!
philth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth
good stuff
country looks green!
last time I rode the Bridle was about three years ago, and what grass there was was the same colour as the track
Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Damn fine ride, country won't look this good for many years i would reckon.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
Nice! Can't wait to get out there.

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
Great trip & report, will make a great weekend ride to do from Sydney, thanks for posting it up
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
gongnomore
Tetley

Oddometer: 16
How did you go with the big river crossing on the Bridle Track, last time I went through in a 4 dub a couple of years ago it was a bit rough and I wouldn't like to do it on a bike.
gongnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongnomore
How did you go with the big river crossing on the Bridle Track, last time I went through in a 4 dub a couple of years ago it was a bit rough and I wouldn't like to do it on a bike.
not 100% sure which crossing your refering too , maybe Root Hog Crossing ? if so we didnt cross the river there, just as well as it was mighty deep
Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 7,993
Cool ride report did you have a gps with you ?

'must be the 'ooooohhhhhmmmmm' factor kicking in'
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
Cool ride report did you have a gps with you ?
Hell yeah, We'd still be out there otherwise